Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

To Wii or Not to Wii?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Brave Diplomat, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Klaz Scholar

Klaz
    I love the Wii for two things:
    -Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    -River City Ransom

^ Top  
  2. Xi Arcane

Xi
    I bought a Wii because it focuses on game-play over graphics, has a control that is next-gen and feels very similar to a mouse, and because it does what a console should do on many different levels. The 360 and the PS3 are gimmicky pieces of shit that only really give slightly better graphics but lack in game-play because developers spend all their resources on artists and graphics programmers.

I've practically given up on PC gaming as new games are a rarity, and the good ones even rarer. You can only play those old games for so long.

Anyway, since I've purchased the Wii, there have been many drunken nights of Wii sports, Smash Bros, etc. This alone has been enough to make it worthwhile for me. Working through Zelda at the moment, and probably going to get Fire Emblem to satisfy my Tactical RPG craving. Slam it all you want, but it's a fantastic system. No bullshit....

^ Top  
  3. Herbert West Arbiter

Herbert West
    Wii sales serve to prove that graphics aren't everything. According to one analysis, Wii will outsell 360 and PS3 combined. That says something, not only about the eye-candy, but also that there are hordes of very casual gamers, and relatively few who want anything more.

^ Top  
  4. Xi Arcane

Xi
    The Wii isn't just "casual" though. Is it not possible that a hardcore gamer might not care about graphics? Are graphics the only thing we should consider as hardcore? The Wii has broad appeal for sure, but that doesn't mean you won't get some great hardcore games with more depth than a bottom-less pit.

If the 360/PS3 are considered Hardcore, than that makes the average person on the Codex "casual" for not caring about graphics, or for liking older games. Hah, something like that. Truly the PS3/360 cater to soulless, graphical games that offer nothing more than a quick, yet fading, erection for about 10 minutes before the utterly shitty game-play pokes you in the eye and says "this game fucking sucks donkey balls."

^ Top  
  5. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    If you skiped the GCN, you can pick up a good portion of it's library used nowdays, that should at least tide you over untill the Wii gets decent games.

@Klaz

Wait River City Ransom?

*Checks VC list* nope, not there.

What are you talking about?

edit:Wait, nevermind it is on the EU (and JP) VC under differnt names

@Xi

Just be sure to get the GCNs Path of Radiance (a good game in its own right) before Radient Dawn, unless you like your games to have storys that don't make any sense.

^ Top  
  6. ecliptic Liturgist

ecliptic
    It's a party toy. There's no lasting single player appeal.

^ Top  
  7. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    I don't know, Star Fox 64 on the Virtual Console gets addicting.

^ Top  
  8. Spectacle Arcane Patron

Spectacle
    That's an april fools joke you retards. Though if thinkgeek is going to keep their joke pages around after april 1st, they should label it as a joke so we can avoid threads like this.

^ Top  
  9. Klaz Scholar

Klaz
    Yeah, it's on the VC.

^ Top  
  10. Edward_R_Murrow Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Edward_R_Murrow
    I really want to disagree with you, but I find it pretty difficult to do so.

Brawl is basically Melee 1.5, so it's rather disappointing in that respect. It's still a good game, but only for the multiplayer, as the subspace emissary is boring as hell, save a few parts, classic got gimped, adventure is gone, and all-star was never much fun anyway. I also find the shoehorning of the "new and innovative" controls onto Brawl to be pointless, so much that I've defaulted to my trusty 7-year old gamecube controller each time I've played it. It doesn't really improve all that much, and takes a few steps back from Melee as well.

Twilight Princess gains jack crap from being on the Wii, and continues in the tradition of the Wind Waker of making the Zelda series even easier than it already was. Yay dumbing down! The fact it's on the Gamecube doesn't help either.

Red Steel was a massive flop and it's sort of sad, seeing as it could have been great if the controls were properly optimized. I've heard No More Heroes might scratch the sword game itch though.

Galaxy seems pretty nifty, but also seems like it's one of those games I'll blow through in under 10 hours due to lack of any difficulty and would regret purchasing.

Prime 3 is Prime....but with Wii-mote! How innovative! Seems like they could have just put it on the Gamecube.

And the Virtual Console to me is a huge fucking ripoff, as I've either played the games, or I can emulate them myself and have a much better experience (save states, screenshots, speed-ups, etc.).

The Wii seems like a "My-First-Console" thing, either for casual players, or gamers out of the loop, or maybe expatriate PC gamers finally jumping ship. It doesn't present anything all that fresh, just a promising control scheme that is pretty much delegated to gimmick status because no game has really brought it out yet. It has no real "hardcore" single player games as of yet, and none on the horizon like the other consoles and the PC. The only thing it does seem to do well are minigame fests like Wario-Ware in groups or other party games, which are pretty fun. Throw in the rehash of old Nintendo console games that is mostly targeted at new customers and the Wii does seem exactly like a "My-First-Console"thing. Don't get me wrong, I have loads of fun playing with friend's Wiis (hur hur), but I see no reason to get my own (more lulz).

^ Top  
  11. SlyDrak Scholar

SlyDrak
  12. OldSkoolKamikaze Arcane Patron

OldSkoolKamikaze
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I don't understand all these lame Wii = Penis jokes. I thought wee was children's slang for urine and weewee was for penis.

^ Top  
  13. Dmitron Arbiter

Dmitron
    The star power of cock overrides a mundane bodily fluid.

^ Top  
  14. Damned Registrations Prestigious Gentleman Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

Damned Registrations
    Until I see something like this happen on the Wii, it's resting firmly in the gimmick category.

Last I heard, while the Wii is outselling the PS3 and 360 combined, the PS2 is still beating all 3 combined. That gives me some hope that consoles might end up shleving the whole graphics whore war thing.

Such hope is overwhelmed by despair at the stupidity of humanity of course. But the drugs help.

^ Top  
  15. barzam Novice

barzam
    Since the games are excellent, this alone makes it a good idea to get a wii. Also you will get a chipped one for I dunno, 300 euro or less and then you can game all you want without paying anything else.

^ Top  
  16. stevewever Novice

stevewever
    wii

Well i would say wii is perfect for game console. I have got the Nintendo game consoles and complete game controller for my daughter she loves it. I order all the game consoles and game accessories from Chinabuye, their rates are quite reasonable than Thinkgeek and they drop ship to India at free shipping. She is crazy of these games! :)

^ Top  
  17. KalosKagathos Prestigious Gentleman Learned

KalosKagathos
    Hmmm, this Chinabuye sure sounds like a respectable and trustworthy establishment.

^ Top  
  18. bossjimbob Liturgist

bossjimbob
    Agreed.

^ Top  
  19. BLOBERT Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

BLOBERT
    BRO KLAZ RIVER CITY RANSOM HAS GOTTEN THE MOST PLAY ON MY WII

^ Top  
  20. MonkeyLancer Educated

MonkeyLancer
    I do too...

Being invited over and playing wii drunk is the most fun I've ever had with a console

^ Top  
  21. Secretninja Cipher

Secretninja
    I just bought my brothers for 50. Pretty much the best gaming investment I have ever made.

^ Top  
  22. CrunchyHemorrhoids Prophet

CrunchyHemorrhoids
    Not to mention it's better on the cube with camera controls, more moves and tight button presses for attacks instead of unresponsive waggle.

It's the only "next-gen" game the way I see it: other games play the same as before only with prettier graphics, galaxy on the other hand sticks to simple graphics but evolves the gameplay. It knows you've played platformers for 20+ years.

As for the length complaint it's only relevant for the game's simplest ending where you only need to go through 25% of the game's content to finish(not even considering high replay value).

But if you want an even longer and harder game that's what galaxy 2 is for, even has a built-in autoplay walkthrough due to the difficulty.

^ Top  
  23. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    If you got a Wii, check out Epic Mickey. It's a Warren Spector game, so it gotta be good, amirite?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.