Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Todd Howard on Fallout 3

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Exitium said:
2) sprite-based avatars that looked like poor pasted on cutouts.

Strangely, I only found the animations to be bad while running. All others seemed very competent.

4) mechanical abilities suck

By abilities, are you talking about skills or technological disciplines? If its the former, I agree they lacked in development (even if they were useful); if its the laterd, I'd have to seriously disagree.

5) useless spells - just use Harm, for good measure.

I found pretty much all spells useful, but truth be told, some didn't really stand out.

8) q: guns, how useful are they? a: not at all

Come again? Ever used a Hand Cannon? Hushed Revolver? Droch's Warbringer? Looking Glass Rifle? Tranquilizer Gun? Mechanized Gun? Pyrotechnic Gun?

13) training your abilities. What? You mean I have to go all the way back there? Shit!

There are several trainers across the gameworld. Nothing terribly time-consuming in my opinion.

14) I don't think I need to mention the combat again, but I feel compelled to. So here goes: the combat.

::wipes forehead::

I'm relieved. I thought you were going to mention brown again :lol:

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
Exitium said:
That's a matter of opinion, you imbecile.

No, it's a matter of fact. That worthless game is as gay as LARPING. I guess I'm just prejudiced against games where you play as a little boy who's transported to a magical fairy land so he can frolic. And then there was the combat system. WTF it's like Fallout? Fallout didn't have homosexual judges telling you that you weren't shooting a guy correctly and transporting you to a jail.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Whipporowill said:
it's notable to say that the game including Special and being on consoles as well isn't a strict quote.
Fair enough, here is the direct quote (I didn't type the whole article):

"We're fluent now on Xbox and PC, and new tools like Microsoft's XNA should speed development on both platforms"

Seven

Erudite
And ovbiously you don't know how an interview works if you think Todd was responsible for the "gritty-drug-and-prostitute-speckled" bit. I'm sure one of the questions was "what's the fallout setting like Todd?", of cource it was the writers own input on it you fucking twat!

No dipshit, it's you who doesn't know how an interview works. Any ideas relating to the setting of a game usually comes as result of the interviewer's questions, these questions are answered by the dev; the interviewer can then paraphrase so long as he keeps the original intent of the dev intact. Also, editors are there to makesure that things aren't taken out of context, and the person who answers the questions (the dev in this case) can usually flag anything that he takes issue with. In conclusion, suck my salty balls you whiney little bitch. You'll be eating crow when this abomination comes out, so talk all the smack you want for now.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
No, see, that's the thing - I read it properly. I don't know if SPECIAL is in and if the combat is truly as 'real time' as you make it out to be I just don't know how well it would work. It certainly didn't work in Lionheart, nor FOT.

Again, I have no problem with the game being on a next generation console. I would loathe to see it released on a PS2 or X-Box simply due to their technical limitations. A crappy port like DXIW would downright suck, but Bethesda's already proven themselves capable of putting a game in dual-platform development without technical limitations killing the game for the PC, when they made Morrowind.

Also, when have they said that any of the view and combat modes were set in stone? As far as I know, they aren't. They haven't even mentioned what they might be, though sources tell me that turn-based combat mode is clearly a possibility. The console public isn't anywhere as closedminded about turn-based combat as the PC industry. Not once have I seen a console gamer say something like "turn-based is obsolete", but you'll hear plenty of PC gamers say that.

If Fallout 3 is done properly, with turn-based combat and strong roleplaying options, it could very well be the same we're looking for.

Briosafreak

Augur
plin said:
Briosafreak said:
@plin

Oh yeah i`m sorry, i`ll change it this time:

What a loser, if you weren`t such a dickhead you would know there are four Bethesda devs at NMA speaking with us, and the interaction in DAC has been great too. So could you move your sorry excuse of a fanboy ass to a grave and dig a bit deeper? Thank you in advance.

Again, how am I a fanboy? And the developers once again, aren't saying shit even at NMA because there is -shock- nothing to fucking say yet. What have they said there? I know pete or someone said that the reason they haven't said anything yet was because there was no team yet, and therefore, nothing to be said yet. What else has he said oh brilliant one? Where's this juicy new information?

So one minuter we`re the scourge of humanity, that jump to conclusions and treat the devs like dirt, because we`re mean, and the next you find it normal that they do interact with us, minions from hell, in our playgrounds of Satan!...Do make up your mind please, and stop sending this to non essencial fantasies in your head and let`s get to the point.

You`re definitely not a good actor, besides beeing a jackass.

plin

Liturgist
If it comes out an abomination, I just simply won't buy it. -shock-, it's not the apocalypse. heh

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Sarkile said:
Exitium said:
That's a matter of opinion, you imbecile.

No, it's a matter of fact. That worthless game is as gay as LARPING. I guess I'm just prejudiced against games where you play as a little boy who's transported to a magical fairy land so he can frolic. And then there was the combat system. WTF it's like Fallout? Fallout didn't have homosexual judges telling you that you weren't shooting a guy correctly and transporting you to a jail.

It's a puzzle game, you mental invalid. Not some hardcore RPG. Why do you think the levels exist, or the fact that all the sprites are cute?

I suppose you're one of those idiots who hates Bubble Bobble because it featured 2 cute dinosaurs who fired bubbles out of their mouth to trap monsters in, and ate candy while they were at it.

plin

Liturgist
Briosafreak said:
plin said:
Briosafreak said:
@plin

Oh yeah i`m sorry, i`ll change it this time:

What a loser, if you weren`t such a dickhead you would know there are four Bethesda devs at NMA speaking with us, and the interaction in DAC has been great too. So could you move your sorry excuse of a fanboy ass to a grave and dig a bit deeper? Thank you in advance.

Again, how am I a fanboy? And the developers once again, aren't saying shit even at NMA because there is -shock- nothing to fucking say yet. What have they said there? I know pete or someone said that the reason they haven't said anything yet was because there was no team yet, and therefore, nothing to be said yet. What else has he said oh brilliant one? Where's this juicy new information?

So one minuter we`re the scourge of humanity, that jump to conclusions and treat the devs like dirt, because we`re mean, and the next you find it normal that they do interact with us, minions from hell, in our playgrounds of Satan!...Do make up your mind please, and stop sending this to non essencial fantasies in your head and let`s get to the point.

You`re definitely not a good actor, besides beeing a jackass.

Wha? There's no doubt that you guys are biased, rabid, and easy leaning shitheads. The bethesda developers are just showing good PR and hoping you will buy their game. Again, how am I a fanboy, and where's this juicy new info?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Whipporowill said:
it's notable to say that the game including Special and being on consoles as well isn't a strict quote.
Fair enough, here is the direct quote (I didn't type the whole article):

"We're fluent now on Xbox and PC, and new tools like Microsoft's XNA should speed development on both platforms"

For the record, XNA is designed for Microsoft's next generation console: the X-Box 2. It allows cross-platform development between the XBox 2 (and Xbox) and the PC with a shared codebase. Basically, games developed on XNA can be run on both systems without any need to port the game to either system. At least that's my understanding of it. If there is a port, it's probably only to change the executables or the disc compatability and nothing more.

I don't expect the old XBox to be able to run TES4.

Seven

Erudite
plin said:
If it comes out an abomination, I just simply won't buy it. -shock-, it's not the apocalypse. heh

That's your reply. *YOU*, who's preaching like a fanboy bitch? Yeah, that's great. You realize the more you post the more your style resembles Elara's and Vis's, you do realize that right?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Role-Player said:
Exitium said:
Not once have I seen a console gamer say something like "turn-based is obsolete"

In that case, I recommend you visit the GameFAQs forums; in particular, the RPGs- Everything Else board.

I refuse to pay tribute to the bastion of idiots known as the GameFAQs forums.

Briosafreak

Augur
plin i was telling you that your fanboysm was getting you to a point that you had lost the contact with reality, seeing how Bethesda was in grave danger, in your paranoid head. Until now you`ve only proved that i was right, and you are a bigger shitface molescule than i thought.

And learn to read, what fucking new juice info are you talking about? Go get some pills, preferably a couple of thousand.

Whipporowill

Erudite
I don't think there's any argument about TES4 (and hence Fo3) being developed for nextgen consoles. I also doubt Beth wouldn't do a release over several platforms as that worked with Morrowind. They'll sell tons, no kidding. Now they have TWO games to sell as well. Hello $$$!

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Oh yeah, take note that if this game does indeed turn out to suck, I won't be buying it nor will I be recommending it to anyone. Until then, I don't see the point in bashing Bethesda's hypothetical head in based on some stupid assumptions.

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
Exitium said:
It's a puzzle game, you mental invalid. Not some hardcore RPG. Why do you think the levels exist, or the fact that all the sprites are cute?

I suppose you're one of those idiots who hates Bubble Bobble because it featured 2 cute dinosaurs who fired bubbles out of their mouth to trap monsters in, and ate candy while they were at it.

How was it a puzzle game? All it seemed like to me when I played it was a dumbed down version of the real FFT. Where were the puzzles?

Seven

Erudite
Exitium said:
Oh yeah, take note that if this game does indeed turn out to suck, I won't be buying it nor will I be recommending it to anyone. Until then, I don't see the point in bashing Bethesda's hypothetical head in based on some stupid assumptions.

We did it to Chuck, so why not them. Granted, it didn't cause him to change anything, but I like to think that word of mouth caused that game to flop, just like it killed the release sales of FOT.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I just don't think it's fair to screw Bethesda over some random assumptions people come up with. With FOBOS, it was very, very clear that Cuevas had only stupid ideas for it, and nothing else.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Sarkile said:
Exitium said:

How was it a puzzle game? All it seemed like to me when I played it was a dumbed down version of the real FFT. Where were the puzzles?

It's called a puzzle/strategy game. Classified as such. There's missions and levels - that's not something you see in an RPG. It didn't even have a strong storyline or a 'good RPG setting' as its predecessor Tactics Ogre did. It's not supposed to be a fucking hardcore RPG, you should know that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom