Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Tom Hall and Brenda Brathwaite Kickstart Turn-based Oldschool CRPG

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Obsidian got 1.1 Mil in... 3 days?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Can you see the pattern?

Pledged:
1st day: 100.000 $
2nd day: 50.000 $
3rd day: ...?

Obsidian:
1st day: 700k
2nd day: 500k
3rd day: 200k

Can you see the pattern?

Seriously. Not defending this, but people always see patterns in Kickstarter and think they figured out some magical formula. This is how it goes with most projects.
Even with Obsidian people were crying that the donations stopped in the second day.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Obsidian had 1'000'000 in a day (24 hours)

I even know the exact timeframe 23 hours and 43 minutes

Hamanu

Educated
If this this was a kickstarter for an indie movie featuring John Romero and the Gimp then I'd be all over it.

It's not though, at least not as far as I can tell.

Rape John Romero and you'll have my money.

Redlands

Arcane
I'm a little bit surprised the Codex isn't more into this, considering Brathwaite is behind a board game where you "win" by killing as many Jews as possible.

Johannes

Arcane
I don't think the 2 games part is so crazy as people make it out to be. Most likely both will be using the same system, so basically instead of 1 bigger game you get 2 separate stories. The games will be shorter, yes... But that's not necessarily bad, if the content is high quality - also the interaction between the two could potentially make replaying more fun.

Now if they'd just define what kind of game it will be. Though it's Oldschool so probably means it's totally awesome.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
HEY GUIZE! WE USED TO MAKE A LOT OF OLD GAMES! NOW WE WANT TO MAKE 2 NEW COMPLETELY VAGUE WITH NO INFORMATION OLD SCHOOL GAMEZ! OMG! GIVE US MONEYS!

That didn't really sell it to me.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
HEY GUIZE! WE USED TO MAKE A LOT OF OLD GAMES! NOW WE WANT TO MAKE 2 NEW COMPLETELY VAGUE WITH NO INFORMATION OLD SCHOOL GAMEZ! OMG! GIVE US MONEYS!

Clearly you're not old school-y enough.

If they really want to go old school, they would release one game as share ware and the other with separate levels ala Wolfenstein 3D. Gotta go old school or go home. ;)

Redlands

Arcane
I'm a little bit surprised the Codex isn't more into this, considering Brathwaite is behind a board game where you "win" by killing as many Jews as possible.

What.

It's called Train and is about the Holocaust. There's a bit about it here: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2009/06/24/can-you-make-a-board-game-about-the-holocaust-meet-train/

But you can probably find out more by Googling. My statement was probably misleading somewhat, because I really don't remember what the rules are/were regarding "winning", but it's certainly about the Holocaust and training yellow figurines around.

It's kind of an interesting experiment, even if it's a little dramatic in its presentation.

Saw this

Massive update coming today for story, theme and setting

:bounce:

Finally! STORYFAG STUFF!
In Before massive Cleve butthurt from this update... :salute: They do need a major update that will get the money rolling, even just to get the base game, I do not think they will even reach the 2 for 1 deal.

Edit: I cannot wait for the Herve Caen kickstarter for his new Black Isle, that's going to have a pretty epic thread :lol:

Duraframe300

Arcane
In before the ancient evil.

You know, I'm expecting the story to be actually really good. Brenda wrote a lot on Wizardry 8 and Jagged Alliance 2. And Tom did Anarchranox. (Also the original design documents for his previous games were awesome)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
There is already a good classic blobber out now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom