Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tomb Raider I-III Remastered from Aspyr - for real this time

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
GGS9pQ0WAAA3J10

GGS9o8YXgAAWSib

That's fucking stupid.

I'm still buying the remasters as soon as the price stops being retarded.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I know it can be done ffs, just saying it's unintuitive. Used to be more common back then, but not that much, and it's definitely something they should change.

Ezekiel

Arcane

"...because if this game sells better than the current terrible Tomb Raider titles..."

This is such a retarded take. He seriously believes these old games whose tank controls so many people complain about will outsell the one that will tick off all the AAA boxes and have the modern production values? Crystal Dynamics isn't afraid of these ports at all. They put the message in there simply because they own the IP and don't want it to take away from the wokeness that infests their studio and image.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
The seam! The fucking seam! It doesn't tile at all!

There's no way to fix that while using the old texture pipeline and having hd textures. Core had to work with limited memory to run these games on PS1(and Saturn) so if you look closely you'll notice that same textures are constantly being roated around y-axis(90 degrees) on faces to avoid geometry having too much of a copypasted look - with lower res textures it's way less apparent and looks seamless but with HD it's more apparent. There's no way around this since Remaster just makes existing texture palette high res and doesn't add new ones, even the new geometry on the level uses existing texture palettes
The original had a lot of issues with seams as well. Even the sourceport TR1X fixed a lot of said seams and it still has seams. I dig the 3D pixel art look of the games, but improper tiling isn't a great look. Between this and TR1X it seems like there's not ever going to be a fix for it. Which I find curious, since other tile-based games I know of, mostly Wolfenstein-style FPS games, don't have the same issue even when done by complete incompetents. I wonder if the problem is the tiles having to be tiled vertically as well as horizontally?

Robber Baron

Savant
I wonder if the problem is the tiles having to be tiled vertically as well as horizontally?

exactly

example01.jpg

example02.jpg

first image is 1024x1024, each 512x512 texture is tiled normally - no seams, how it will look in game

CbrHj.png

second image has each 512 texture rotated on a random 90~ degree to avoid having that copypasted look
same texture, same memory allocation - way more natural results at the cost of some seams

Old PS1 games like Tomb Raider, Soul Reaver, Silent Hill, Vagrant Story were made by pros that really perfected that UVmap art where with minimal resoureces they produced stellar results

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
The sound quality in TR2 takes a massive nosedive. Weird when the original game was quite alright.

Ezekiel

Arcane
The sound quality in TR2 takes a massive nosedive. Weird when the original game was quite alright.
Just like the Metal Gear Solid collection on Windows and current consoles? Lol, why does this keep happening? MGS2, 3, Peace Walker and the two MSX games only took up 21 GB on the PS3, so it's not like they needed to compress anything for size.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane

"...because if this game sells better than the current terrible Tomb Raider titles..."

This is such a retarded take. He seriously believes these old games whose tank controls so many people complain about will outsell the one that will tick off all the AAA boxes and have the modern production values? Crystal Dynamics isn't afraid of these ports at all. They put the message in there simply because they own the IP and don't want it to take away from the wokeness that infests their studio and image.

Shadow of the Tomb raider, being the worst received game in the trilogy, sold around 9 million units. So yea, thinking that a remaster of three games from the nineties can sell more than that is fabulously optimistic. Still, I think that if the remaster perform well enough Embracer could persuade CD to make something more similar to those titles with AAA budget. In the style of Legend/Anniversary/Underworld.

At least he's right about one thing: Crystal dinamics despises classic Tomb raider and the original Lara croft. They have proven this a lot in the recent times.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I've stumbled on her content before and I wouldn't say she's the most trustworthy source, let me tell you. If they hate Lara, it's not because of woke agenda, it's because she's still more popular as a character than nu-Lara.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
At least he's right about one thing: Crystal dinamics despises classic Tomb raider and the original Lara croft. They have proven this a lot in the recent times.

Can you tell me what the video is about? I don't know if I wanna watch the whole thing.

Some years ago there was a kind of exhibition organized by Crystal dynamics called "World of lara croft" where they showed stuff about Tomb raider (Story, artwork, merchandise, etc). They included a section where they virtue signaled about how Lara croft has improved from her original conception. Being now more realistic, having "evolved from sexist tropes".

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat

Razorfist has awful video game takes (he praised the fuck out of Dragon Age 3 and shit on the Dark Souls franchise). His action movie reviews are pretty hilarious though.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't think old Lara is a sexist trope. What is sexist is insisting that only a few traits make for an independent/strong/empowered/whatever woman and they, the writer(s), know what these traits are. Why exactly is old Lara sexist? Because she's hot? Oh, I'm sorry, I might've gotten the wrong information that being athletic and working out a lot, which is literally her job, makes you hot. They made nu-Lara laden with daddy issues and her only motivation is making a man proud/emulating said man!

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I liked Rise of the Tomb Raider because it felt like a well made Rambo simulator. Until they make one of those games starring the man himself nu Lara will have to do.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I liked Rise of the Tomb Raider because it felt like a well made Rambo simulator. Until they make one of those games starring the man himself nu Lara will have to do.
I occasionally get the urge to play a female-starring action-adventure with modern graphics and install one of the new Tomb Raider games. Within two minutes of playing, five tops, I remember everything I dislike about them and uninstall again in despair.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Y'all are fuckin queers. Here I am enjoying these lovely updated tiddies and swimsuits that just barely cover the b-hole and here comes the retard brigade crying about a missplaced pixel here, or a random thing that nothing else in the universe would even imagine let alone notice. I want you all to die in a fire. The remakes are frabjous and your childish whining is only drowned out by the sound of your mom dumping your shit/piss bucket out back. Crawl into a hole and die. And fester. Seriously.
GGS9pQ0WAAA3J10

GGS9o8YXgAAWSib
What's wrong? That's incline. Not everything in games needs to be highlighted obvious handholdy crap.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I occasionally get the urge to play a female-starring action-adventure with modern graphics and install one of the new Tomb Raider games. Within two minutes of playing, five tops, I remember everything I dislike about them and uninstall again in despair.
They're a hell of a lot better than the other modern AAA action adventure games. I'll take them over Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Gears of War, etc. any day.

Ezekiel

Arcane
They're a hell of a lot better than the other modern AAA action adventure games. I'll take them over Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Gears of War, etc. any day.
I would rather play Uncharted, but low bar.

Setpieces that come off as less conspicuous/obvious and scripted. Not so game-like and stupid in their presentation.

No weapon upgrades that force you to go into tedious menus and read descriptions and shoot bullet sponges if you refuse. The pickups drive mobility in the gunfights. When you have no more ammo, you need to run for another gun.

More verticality in the gunfights, a melee attack that's quick and doesn't bog you down or disrupt the shooting.

No automatic crouch like in Tomb Raider. Sadly, no crouch at all. But if I have to choose between not being able to crouch and crouching through the whole gunfight, give me the former.

I tried to use little to no cover. Works best in Uncharted 4 and The Lost Legacy, but those games unfortunately have plenty of linear action sequences that force popamole. It sucks that you can only swap shoulders while aiming (since that was how I used cover without actually sticking to it) and that the field of view is so crammed while aiming.

Nathan Drake and Chloe Frasier as protagonists are more confident than nuLara. They enjoy what they do and don't ever break down into tears. I prefer their voices.

As platformers and exploration games, they are both shitty. But I find the collect-a-thon nature of new Tomb Raider where the maps are littered with so much shit for experience points that you redeem for perks and weapon customization in cumbersome menus more insipid.

Uncharted has better art direction and music than Tomb Raider.

Only Uncharted 4 has the incredibly stupid journals that all the new Tomb Raider games are crammed with. Notes left in the elements for two hundred years and somehow legible, people documenting everything for seemingly no one.

Uncharted :3/5:
Uncharted 2 :3.5/5:
Uncharted 3 :2/5:
Uncharted 4 :2/5:
The Lost Legacy :3.5/5:

Tomb Raider 2013 :2/5:
Rise of the Tomb Raider :2/5:
Shadow of the Tomb Raider :2/5:

Last edited:

Melcar

Arcane
Out of the three NuLara remakes, I think Rise is the best by a little. They all suck, but with Rise I got the idea that they sort of wanted to start going the direction of the earlier TR games.

DemonKing

Arcane
Out of the three NuLara remakes, I think Rise is the best by a little.
I dunno - I thought they went down in quality as the series went on. First was a lot of fun with cool enemies, setting and combat. By Rise they already had dumb stuff like costume changes implemented (So Lara could run around in the freezing cold in her short shorts and tank top if you wanted) and by 3rd it had gone full retard.

Cohesion

Scholar
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Still no obvious way to exit the game without alt-tabbing. Neat.

Why is this shit so dark? I keep switching to the classic mode to see where I'm going.
Go to the passport and press right on the d pad twice to get the exit to main menu option, select the passport in the mian menu press right d pad twice to get the exit game option.
WTF I DON'T HAVE D PAD?l I am not a filthy peasant.

Just like the Metal Gear Solid collection on Windows and current consoles? Lol, why does this keep happening? MGS2, 3, Peace Walker and the two MSX games only took up 21 GB on the PS3, so it's not like they needed to compress anything for size.
Decline as with every other aspect of the industry.

Consumer sound hardware has taken a massive nosedive over the past 20 years. In the early 2000s, it was a common thing for enthusiast videogame players to also have a decent sound system, with a proper receiver and capable speakers.

The current audience has no conception of audio quality, so everything is compressed to shit to sound the same on tinny tv speakers, earbuds, or terribly overpriced 'soundbars'.

Melcar

Arcane
But is it really the hardware? I mean, even back then there was shit hardware and a lot of bullshit "audiophile" devices. I think many of the new digital codecs and sound mastering technologies are to blame as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom