Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Top 10 game music of all time" - Derp-free list

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW6HmVy4iGQ

The above video is put together by GamerTNG (British) and it outlines what, in their opinion, are the 10 best game songs of all time. Their rules are simple: 1 song per franchise, and the song must have been written specifically for the game.

To my surprise, it's not that bad a list. While I don't agree with their lineup, and can certainly think of better songs to be in the Top 10, these are a damn good selection of songs. I can understand why someone would want them on a Top 10 list. They're memorable and fun to listen to. Only one song on that list (#5) is, in my opinion, not deserving to be on the list, as nothing about it hooks me. You can read what songs are in the list in the comments, though in the wrong order, so you really don't have to watch/listen to the video if you don't want to.

I felt like sharing this to show that there's a small :incline: going on in the world of gaming "journalism".

And now I've got the #10 song stuck in my head...

Thoughts?

EDIT: Title fixed.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
surprisingly Der?
surprisingly Derp?

no deus ex theme, nothing from BG, no diablo tristram song, no age of wonders, nothing from the heroes series

battlefield was a good pick though

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
The same guys also have a vid up containing the Top 10 Game intros of all time.

That one is total crap. It has Abe's Oddyssey, and the "wrong" Fallout game, but with the possible exception of the Crysis 2 intro, the rest is garbage.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Re: "Top 10 game music of all time" - Derp-free li

Unkillable Cat said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW6HmVy4iGQ

The above video is put together by GamerTNG (British) and it outlines what, in their opinion, are the 10 best game songs of all time. Their rules are simple: 1 song per franchise, and the song must have been written specifically for the game.

To my surprise, it's not that bad a list. While I don't agree with their lineup, and can certainly think of better songs to be in the Top 10, these are a damn good selection of songs. I can understand why someone would want them on a Top 10 list. They're memorable and fun to listen to. Only one song on that list (#5) is, in my opinion, not deserving to be on the list, as nothing about it hooks me. You can read what songs are in the list in the comments, though in the wrong order, so you really don't have to watch/listen to the video if you don't want to.

I felt like sharing this to show that there's a small :incline: going on in the world of gaming "journalism".

And now I've got the #10 song stuck in my head...

Thoughts?

EDIT: Title fixed.
:x
You trolling, right?
The only redeeming feature is the presence of Silent Hill, and probably they included that because of the film.

Destroid

Arcane
No Cryo? No Blizzard? Decline.

Dune
Extase

Tristram
Zerg

Eve-Online had some pretty good music (mostly ambient) too, and had >2 hours of music in the beta, and they released more afterwards. A good thing to, you needed something to keep you going in that dismal game.

Vibalist

Arcane
The Doom theme is awesome. The Silent Hill one was decent too, but it should've been the main theme from SH1 instead.
Otherwise the list was okay, but nothing I'd include on a list of best songs evar(!!!)

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Pretty much the only one I agreed with was the Doom theme.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
He even broke his own rules including Korobeiniki (Tetris) since the song was not written for the game in the first place.

Dr.Faust

Liturgist
What a horrible list. Some of those are good songs, but a few are just funny or quirky and can't hold a candle to amazing orchestral pieces omitted from the list.

made

Arcane
Ulminati said:
He even broke his own rules including Korobeiniki (Tetris) since the song was not written for the game in the first place.
It's a dumb rule anyway. It's not uncommon for some obscure melody to find its way into a game soundtrack and hardly anyone knows the original song it's based on. Some tunes from Amberstar/-moon or the RoA series come to mind.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Ulminati said:

That was exactly what I was thinking, but forgot to check.

Anyways, they say they're going to do a more comprehensive list that's divided by decades, so that at least will be worth a look, but they're just as likely to screw that up as the "intros" video.

As for the rest of you... clearly I was hoping for too much from you when I expected you to stop listening (or posting) with your assholes for a second. As a Top 10 list "of all time", it sucks balls, even in my opinion, but what surprised me is that there are almost no "bad" songs in there. They're all at least above average. I can imagine the aural pain they went through to find the one decent track out of ALL the Final Fantasy soundtracks, for example.

But no, because your favourite obscure underground musician, who composed video game music during an era where Pluto was actually closer to Earth than Neptune, is not featured on the list then the entire list is shit.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Unkillable Cat said:
Ulminati said:

That was exactly what I was thinking, but forgot to check.

Anyways, they say they're going to do a more comprehensive list that's divided by decades, so that at least will be worth a look, but they're just as likely to screw that up as the "intros" video.

As for the rest of you... clearly I was hoping for too much from you when I expected you to stop listening (or posting) with your assholes for a second. As a Top 10 list "of all time", it sucks balls, even in my opinion, but what surprised me is that there are almost no "bad" songs in there. They're all at least above average. I can imagine the aural pain they went through to find the one decent track out of ALL the Final Fantasy soundtracks, for example.

But no, because your favourite obscure underground musician, who composed video game music during an era where Pluto was actually closer to Earth than Neptune, is not featured on the list then the entire list is shit.
LOL.
How about Metal Gear Solid, so obscure.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The best video game music of all time is the OMF 2097 main theme.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom