Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Top 10 Polish games

I'm kinda tired of all those theories stating Polish gaming started with Witcher... it's excactly opposite, it's when it started to decline, loose identity and became Western gaming copycat (with noble exceptions). Polish bros, please paste your top 10 of Polish games.

1. Bulletstorm
2. Franko: The Crazy Revenge
3. Doman: Grzechy Ardana
4. Fire Fight
5. Ciemna Strona
6. Noc
7. Necrovision / The Lost Company
8. Target
9. Sfinx
10. Otchłań

Beans00

Erudite
1. sniper path of vengeance
2. another war
3. mortyr 2093-1944
4. painkiller
5. gorky 17/odium
6. knightshift/once upon a knight
7. earth 2140
8. earth 2150
9. earth 2160
10. world war iii black gold
11. mortyr 2

I don't want to say anything but... I'm noticing a trend with these games...

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
2. another war
3. mortyr 2093-1944
4. painkiller
5. gorky 17/odium
7. earth 2140
8. earth 2150
9. earth 2160
11. mortyr 2

Co kurwa how do you know mortyr

Beans00

Erudite
2. another war
3. mortyr 2093-1944
4. painkiller
5. gorky 17/odium
7. earth 2140
8. earth 2150
9. earth 2160
11. mortyr 2

Co kurwa how do you know mortyr

Picked it up in a bargain bin in the early 00s for less than a dollar. Come to think about it thats how i got every single game on that list.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
The only polish game I unironically enjoyed and have fond memories of is the first Polanie. Pretty simplistic Warcraft/Dune2 clone with cows as harvesters, milk as the spice and manly lumberjacks dropping trees on enemies of the potato. Also bears, though non-romanceable.

How can you say this and then choose Bulletstorm as your number one? What's exactly Polish about that game?

Becuse it's only popamole shooter done right. In the era of sad, boring brown corridor fps Poles proved such subgenre can deliver extremaly intense ride with so many fun ways to kill shit (including kicking out straight into the abyss). It's one of noble exceptions I mentioned before, as a rule pre-Witcher scene was much better, here is another ten:

11. Painkiller and all 54658 of its standalone mission packs
12. Draggy and Croco
13. Rezerwowe Psy
14. Pył
15. Mortyr
16. Lew Leon
17. Wacki: Kosmiczna Rozgrywka
18. Polanie
19. Dark Moon
20. Clash

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
No point in making the list beause you are not allowed to mention any new games that are very good, but you will be called peasant to even mention them. Instead I will put some older ones that were either milestones, or simply good for its time.

Crime Cities - 3D cyberpunk stylegame with flying cars (2000)
Pyl (Dust) - Polish Quake-wannabe but much slower, low on ammo, etc. (1999)
Grom: Terror in Tibet - probably my favorite - cRPG with real-time pew-pew (Cannon Fodder comes to mind?) (2002)
Gorky 17 - tactical turn-based RPG (1999/2000)
Rezerwowe Psy - JA clone - very inciting and vulgar with dark humor from 90's - probably only understood in Poland (1999)

Fargus

Arcane
Never played Bulletstorm.
Is it a good one?

It's alright. Some funny dialogue between characters. Racist general throwing insults was my favorite.

Nothing special as a shooter i personally got bored real quick replaying it. They marketed it as a go for it game for people who were sick of Modern Warfare retardation back then. But it was a modern shooter through and through with health regeneration etc. Just not as vomit inducing as CoD.

Pyl (Dust)

This shit looks pretty damn cool but i never heard of it. I guess there was no english release?

Hellraiser

Arcane
No mention of the following masterpiece, which paved the way for future Polish console game developers like CDP, brought to you (read: bankrolled) by none other than Herve motherfucking Caen (not a joke: he's listed as executive producer or some such in the credits, I kid you not)?

32411104-item-big-SDC-KAOKANGA-A-1.jpg

:outrage:

Game is kind of janky, especially the fucking hitboxes, and has some bizzare design choices (maybe Herve meddled too much) like an autosave function forcing pseudo-ironman on you (or rather resetting the game if you lose too many lives in a level) due to no continues if you get a game over and no ability to farm lives (coins collected are tracked and persistent).

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
No mention of the following masterpiece, which paved the way for future Polish console game developers like CDP, brought to you (read: bankrolled) by none other than Herve motherfucking Caen (not a joke: he's listed as executive producer or some such in the credits, I kid you not)?

32411104-item-big-SDC-KAOKANGA-A-1.jpg

:outrage:

Game is kind of janky, especially the fucking hitboxes, and has some bizzare design choices (maybe Herve meddled too much) like an autosave function forcing pseudo-ironman on you (or rather resetting the game if you lose too many lives in a level) due to no continues if you get a game over and no ability to farm lives (coins collected are tracked and persistent).
Kao 2 is better than most westshit platformers

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I'm kinda tired of all those theories stating Polish gaming started with Witcher... it's excactly opposite, it's when it started to decline, loose identity and became Western gaming copycat (with noble exceptions). Polish bros, please paste your top 10 of Polish games.
Sorry, but that's bullshit.

Before Witcher Polish games were also western copycats, only worse.

Polanie - a copycat of Warcraft.
Clash - a decent, yet inferior copycat of HoMM
Two Worlds (released several months before Witcher 1) - a copycat of Oblivion (decent one)
numerous Polish shooters - copycats of Doom and later Quake.
Gorky 17 - a Polish effort at jrpg.
Another War - a copycat of Baldur's Gate only in WW2 setting and retarded.
Franco: The Crazy Revenge - a copycat of western and eastern beat'm ups, only retarded, the only thing it had going for it was the atmosphere.
Reserwowe Psy (Reservoir Dogs) - a copycat of Jagged Alliance 2, only retarded and with Polish atmosphere.

Witcher and several later games at least showed we can compete with the West and beat it at its own game.

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
1. Archolos
2. Vendetta: The Curse of Raven's Cry
3. Gorky 17
4. Polanie
5. Polanie 2 (Knightshift in the language of decline)
6. Two Worlds

The rest I've played is not good enough to recommend imo, so I won't list them.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Have you played the Reksio game series?
Basically a polish cartoon character.
I remember playing some back in the day (with translations of course) and it was pretty fun.
Reksio and the Time Machine or whatever it was called, that one was the best.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
please don't play Książę i Tchórz it's actually not a very good game
It's terrible. I loved it as a kid, but when I tried to play it with my own kid it became apparent how broken and unfun it is. Teenagent is better, and it's not good either.

Archolos is shit.

Witcher 1 is incline, and calling it a western copycat is nonsense.

Kao is life. At least I hope it still is, don't have the guts to check.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom