Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter media blitz begins: Campaign to launch on March 6th, Chris Avellone endorses

Gondolin

Arcane
Just as I trust you're aware of the implications of a game developer working on two high profile games (that simply must be of the highest quality possible) at the same time.

Estimated delivery: December, 2014.

What could go wrong?

This. They aren't working on them entirely at the same time.

Just shut up and pledge. ;)

Don't worry, I know how the design and technical teams work on these projects. And... yes, I will pledge as soon as I get my hands on some jewgold.

I suppose a new Kickstarter campaign is to be expected in the spring of 2014, when the design team is done with T:ToN.

hiver

$75,304

whohoho-ho.

/yes i know you all an see it! shut up and get out of my head!

BigWeather

Augur
Does anyone know whether the hardcover Numenera core rulebook (the one at the $250 tier) will be available from Monte Cook for those that (stupidly) forgot to back that Kickstarter? If not, I'll likely back the $250 tier (since I'd like to get my hands on that book), else $95.

Unwanted

Sacred_Path

Unwanted
In Numenera, however, "magic" is actually something surprisingly different.

Who else thinks that TToN magic will feel unique and original for about the 2 minutes you need to read up on it in the manual?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I hope that during this production period of Torment, they keep the community up to par with regular updates, WL2 is not the example i have in mind for good community communication, so that's something that the inclusion of Brother None gives me hope they will step up in.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Just as I trust you're aware of the implications of a game developer working on two high profile games (that simply must be of the highest quality possible) at the same time.

Yes, it means they can naturally roll over into the next project without delays and unnecessary layoffs. inXile works with a 1.5 team model, with pre-production of the second project happening when full production of the first project is full steam ahead. This is how Interplay used to work too. It's how Obsidian works too. It's how pretty much everyone works, 'cept for companies that enjoy laying off almost their entire staff between projects.

Anyway uh, back to the grind!
My point was that it's not one sided. There are pros and cons there. We all hope that inXile will succeed, grow, and become what Interplay once was. At the same time, there is a risk of growing too fast, risk of mismanaging and fucking something up.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
My point was that it's not one sided. There are pros and cons there. We all hope that inXile will succeed, grow, and become what Interplay once was. At the same time, there is a risk of growing too fast, risk of mismanaging and fucking something up.

Definitely. Hell, there's always a non-zero chance both WL2 and Torment are simply awful games. But risk management wise, company logic wise, the risk of trying to fund a new project to roll into now and managing both is nothing compared to the risk of having to break up the creative team and upping the cost of the next project by a significant percentage. Like I said, prez Matt Findley did a really good writeup about it because we knew it'd be a concern

hiver

Great idea to ask for 9hundred K again. great.

You might inhabit their minds for a time through the devices called “the Meres,” turning their lives to your advantage. You will travel across the face of the Ninth World, and above and below it, with your companions at your side—or alone, if you wish. Your quest will take you to alternate dimensions and distant worlds under strange suns; particular Meres might afford you even more bizarre experiences, such as folding time itself.

the...fffffffuck!

:bravo:

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
bodynotready.png

Brother None, will there be a paypal option up soon? Maybe even soon enough to catch some of those early bird specials? There are some of us that can't use kickstarter you know.
I don't think we'll do Paypal until the minimum is hit, but I think most early birds will outlast that. Problem with offering Paypal before the minimum is hit is you can't guarantee a game yet, so you can't really take people's money.
I am aware of that, but it would be nice if you have a paypal option already ready-to-go as soon as the target is reached (which is likely to be in 24 to 48 hours max), and not only start thinking about this then.

Unwanted

Sacred_Path

Unwanted
Another gem:

But just as PS:T strove to defy RPG tropes, so too will Torment – including some tropes that were established by PS:T. So expect a lot of surprises.

Swords > everything is an RPG trope. Torment defied this trope. TToN will defy the established Torment tropes; IOW, swords up your ass. There will be swords everywhere, contrary to low-brow RPGs where swords are everywhere, look like swords and do swords-y things. This shit is so meta, it's twice removed from what you'd expect. SO EXPECT A LOT OF SURPRISES. And without even trying :obviously:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
AAAAAAAAAAAAAROJDOJOGGJOSDGJOSDGJOSDGJ

That pitch was... SWEET. The plot sounds so fucking geeeeeeewd. Enough allusions to Torment that it feels like it's connected, but not so much that it feels like a complete copy.

SLURP SLURP SLURP <---- the sound of Grunker sucking the cock of this Kickstarter.

IN SHORT, THIS

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Great idea to ask for 9hundred K again. great.
Thanks, heh, that's one point I personally argued for rather strongly when we were still nailing it down.

I am aware of that, but it would be nice if you have a paypal option already ready-to-go as soon as the target is reached (which is likely to be in 24 to 48 hours max), and not only start thinking about this then.
That's the plan, yes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom