Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Torment Kickstarter Update #49: Kevin Saunders leaves inXile, replaced by Chris Keenan

Xeon

Augur
Man, I just had the biggest facepalm of my life, I mistook Kevin Saunders for Colin McComb. Since I am not good with names, I googled him and Colin's picture showed up. Colin seemed familar and googled and its the one I thought left.

Yea, I hope Torment will still be good.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Lol, I love how people go apeshit about these kinds of news. Doesn't tell you anything. ANYTHING about how TTON will be come release.

Fuckin' armchair theories, man. They're the best.

Someone needs his
fargofanboy.png
tag back.

ArchAngel

Arcane
This sounds bad. I hope TToN will be a more polished experience than what WL2 was.. or what WL2DC is

CMcC

Larian Studios
Developer
Man, I just had the biggest facepalm of my life, I mistook Kevin Saunders for Colin McComb. Since I am not good with names, I googled him and Colin's picture showed up. Colin seemed familar and googled and its the one I thought left.

You've discovered my secret identity!

Fairfax

Arcane
Interesting blog post. He says in his farewell post that he's known for using odd words, yet everything there and in the blog post is obviously very carefully worded.

Based on some hints in Kevin's letter ("I do not know what I'll do next") and Chris' ("bring Torment to completion!") it sounds like he got fired because it's Q4 2015 and the game is still not finished. Wasn't the original deadline Q4 2014? So they brought in Chris to save the day.
Except Chris was technically responsible for WL2 going way over budget as well.

Everyone calm the fuck down, most of the game's design documentation is done. Colin, Chris Avellone, and Adam Heine are still playing huge roles as well.

Don't raise pitchforks until you hear the full story.
MCA is not playing a huge role at all.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Talking about how Wasteland 2 "went way over budget" is dumb. Wasteland 2 needed to go beyond its Kickstarter budget because if it hadn't it would have been a Shadowrun Returns calibre lite RPG. They probably knew it was going to happen from an early stage.

In any case, the person responsible is Brian Fargo, who decided against the wishes of his president to add the entire California second half to the game. Findley wanted it to be Arizona-only.

Athelas

Arcane
Talking about how Wasteland 2 "went way over budget" is dumb. Wasteland 2 needed to go beyond its Kickstarter budget because if it hadn't it would have been a Shadowrun Returns calibre lite RPG.
So you're saying it would've been an RPG that would've been much better received on the Codex? :troll:

Fairfax

Arcane
Talking about how Wasteland 2 "went way over budget" is dumb. Wasteland 2 needed to go beyond its Kickstarter budget because if it hadn't it would have been a Shadowrun Returns calibre lite RPG. They probably knew it was going to happen from an early stage.

In any case, the person responsible is Brian Fargo, who decided against the wishes of his president to add the entire California second half to the game. Findley wanted it to be Arizona-only.
It's why I said "technically", Chris Keenan was the producer. And it's not dumb at all, since it's a simple fact. They had a $3 million budget and had to spend another $3 million out of their pockets. If having to double the game's budget is not going over budget, what is?

Athelas

Arcane
It's why I said "technically", Chris Keenan was the producer. And it's not dumb at all, since it's a simple fact. They had a $3 million budget and had to spend another $3 million out of their pockets. If having to double the game's budget is not going over budget, what is?
When the initial budget is free in the first place, it isn't that much of a disaster.

Fairfax

Arcane
When the initial budget is free in the first place, it isn't that much of a disaster.
Not saying it was a disaster, but it is the textbook definition of going over budget. The difference is that in this case the company's CEO bears most of the responsibility. Both InXile and Obsidian underestimated how much it would take to make these games, same thing happened with TToN.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Shhh... you weren't supposed to tell! (Does the Codex permit multiple accounts by the same physical person or is one of my personalities going to be blocked now?)

Not only multiple accounts, but multiple split personalities are common practice on the Codex. Just ask Drog.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
It's why I said "technically", Chris Keenan was the producer. And it's not dumb at all, since it's a simple fact. They had a $3 million budget and had to spend another $3 million out of their pockets.

You really don't get it, do you? They didn't have to do anything. The sales of Early Access evidently succeeded their expectations, and Fargo decided to double-down, which is understandable given how long he was trying to make that game a reality. It was obviously a design decision more than anything else. They could've as well put out just Arizona, and I doubt anyone would even complain, since that alone is 40h worth of content.

Fairfax

Arcane

Well, Obsidian is hiring...:M

You really don't get it, do you? They didn't have to do anything. The sales of Early Access evidently succeeded their expectations, and Fargo decided to double-down, which is understandable given how long he was trying to make that game a reality. It was obviously a design decision more than anything else. They could've as well put out just Arizona, and I doubt anyone would even complain, since that alone is 40h worth of content.
:nocountryforshitposters:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom