Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

hiver

I find that avatar going really well with such grumpy arguments.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This was one of my most important complaints with Project Eternity. I do hope they don't listen to that suggestion...

The problem with all of the Codexers who complained about this is that what they have in mind is a Fallout-style single character skill-based system, rather than a D&D 3E-style party-based system which is based mainly on stats, not on skills.

I doubt Project Eternity will have a "long sword" skill. "Combat skills" in Project Eternity will be things like Discipline and Tumble from D&D 3E.

The true combat "skills" in D&D (in the Fallout sense) are one's strength attribute and attack roll, and those are inherently "separated" from non-combat skills.

As for Torment, who knows? Perhaps you should check out the Numenera ruleset.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Numenera's rules are really streamlined. It's a ~storytelling~ system. But not the Storytelling system of course.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This was one of my most important complaints with Project Eternity. I do hope they don't listen to that suggestion...

The problem with all of the Codexers who complained about this is that what they have in mind is a Fallout-style single character skill-based system, rather than a D&D 3E-style party-based system which is based mainly on stats, not on skills.

I doubt Project Eternity will have a "long sword" skill. "Combat skills" in Project Eternity will be things like Discipline and Tumble from 3E.

As for Torment, who knows? Perhaps you should check out the Numenera ruleset.

You had a party in Arcanum and while the system taken as a whole had it's flaws I think that really provides the vision for what is possible.

Yes, of course I would expect that PE uses a combat-centric class system just like in the IE games. But that's no reason to not complain, is it? :rpgcodex:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Numenera's rules are really streamlined. It's a ~storytelling~ system. But not the Storytelling system of course.
As far as I can tell Torment 2 isn't using much of Numenera. Combat is going to be different, tides aren't in the base system, dialog options can be done with any system, I mean what's left really? Experience and advancement?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As far as I can tell Torment 2 isn't using much of Numenera. Combat is going to be different, tides aren't in the base system, dialog options can be done with any system, I mean what's left really? Experience and advancement?
Classes, descriptors and foci.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It doesn't assign xp for killing things. They have the Ninth World setting and their take on the three classes. They might have descriptors and foci.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Oh, and I can't wait for the flamewars we'll have about the magic system.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What's so potentially controversial about it? (I don't have much of an idea about the system)
Nanos are wizard-like characters who harness the numenera to work miracles. These miracles, called esoteries, walk the line somewhere between machine and magic, depending on the Nano’s particular skillset.
Doesn't sound like Vancian would fit. Though since it's a rules system by Monte Cook I'm sure they'll be overpowered.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
After use, a spell's nanotech batteries must recharge for x seconds/turns.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
We're innovating the cooldown mechanic. We're putting cooldowns on everything. Spell? Cooldown. Special attack? Cooldown. Normal attack? Cooldown. Open your inventory? Cooldown. Walking cooldowns. Talking cooldowns. We got cooldowns for everything.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Maybe I should put an idea on the forum for LARP Vancian. You have to remember long series or runes yourself. You cast your spells by gesturing those runes like in Arx Fatalis but with kinect.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What's so potentially controversial about it? (I don't have much of an idea about the system)
Nanos are wizard-like characters who harness the numenera to work miracles. These miracles, called esoteries, walk the line somewhere between machine and magic, depending on the Nano’s particular skillset.
Doesn't sound like Vancian would fit. Though since it's a rules system by Monte Cook I'm sure they'll be overpowered.
It almost sounds like magic might be entirely consumable-based. That would be something different.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
We're innovating the cooldown mechanic. We're putting cooldowns on everything. Spell? Cooldown. Special attack? Cooldown. Normal attack? Cooldown. Open your inventory? Cooldown. Walking cooldowns. Talking cooldowns. We got cooldowns for everything.
I bet even the cooldowns got cooldowns in TToN!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom