Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It would probably be much less work than doing textures and 3D models for everything.

Nah, they've stated emphatically that hand-painting on top is quite a bit more work... sadly.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It would probably be much less work than doing textures and 3D models for everything.

Nah, they've stated emphatically that hand-painting on top is quite a bit more work... sadly.
I find that extremely hard to believe. Depends on the number of areas you have in the game of course, but you can model base geometry very fast, use some basic textures to get the feel of a location down, place basic lighting etc. So how is taking a set of basic models and textures and adding variety on top using Photoshop going to make it take too much longer? You're looking at an extra final layer of polish and detail, might take a dedicated artist a day or two on each level. Considering how much time you'd save on making individual 3D models for every little thing in the environment...

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
If I could remember when and where I read it, I'd link it, but I don't. Surely Jaesun or Infinitron would remember one way or the other.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I think the authors got swapped around there in Brother None's quote.

Anyway, from what I recall reading, they have to do all of the 3D modeling, rendering and texturing, more-or-less, get the landscapes and camera angles positioned properly and so on, and only then do the laborious hand painting touch-up on top of it.

hiver

Blaine

- could you shoot a question about how much of verticality they will be going for in TToN and is there more of it in W2, mainly considering those skyscrapers on the main W2 wallpaper?

- and what they think about how the world will be presented? Fallout "slow" travel over the map, BG style fast travel, something else?

DeepOcean

Arcane
"We don't want to rule anything out, but we don't want to say, right now, okay, you're going to have this ball of goo and it's going to shape itself to fulfill your every desire," McComb said. Reading the mind of the Biodrones, Colin?:smug:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
That's just to lure the retards in and give them their money. Then when the game comes out, the joke will be on them.

SimpsonsHAHAguy.jpg

hiver

Colin puts Psychonauts into his five best games.

Interesting.... verrr interesting
:hmm....hmmm:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Blaine

- could you shoot a question about how much of verticality they will be going for in TToN and is there more of it in W2, mainly considering those skyscrapers on the main W2 wallpaper?

- and what they think about how the world will be presented? Fallout "slow" travel over the map, BG style fast travel, something else?

Done, I'll keep an eye on them and let you know if/when they answer.

hiver

much obliged

they probably wont spill the beans on the world-map but... worth a shot i figure.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Can you ask other than the combat what does Colin et all think the biggest flaws were with PS:T, and how they intend to not make the same mistakes this time?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
much obliged

they probably wont spill the beans on the world-map but... worth a shot i figure.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen...rian_fargo_colin_mccomb_and/c8z809i?context=3

ksaun.png

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Can you ask other than the combat what does Colin et all think the biggest flaws were with PS:T, and how they intend to not make the same mistakes this time?

Done, although personally I don't like the idea that developers should approach a new game from the angle of fixing all of the old game's flaws (it's kind of a slippery slope sometimes).

hiver

Ok, ...so i suppose it will be either of those two, though i would prefer Fallout way rather then fast travel in BG. Just feels more natural and you have a bigger sense of actually traveling for some time.

Thanks for following that.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Psychonauts is a good game. It's also a platformer, and I can list at least 20 better platformers that predated it by more than a decade. Hipsters gonna hip.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Psychonauts is a good game. It's also a platformer, and I can list at least 20 better platformers that predated it by more than a decade. Hipsters gonna hip.
Its platforming particularly fell apart at the end. I still really enjoyed it. I guess in platformers I like...Earthworm Jim better? Hmmm, or is that more of a run-and-gun? I guess a combo of both. I'm actually unsure what are considered the traditionally "great" platformers (I was never much of a gamer until my 20s).

hiver

platforming wasnt that much of a point there. as in whether it is better then in some other game. the story, the style, the main feature of entering dreams, humor... that was what made it stand out. even with few sections being not so awesome.

but those that were good were keepers for all time, man.

Will there be any sort of story justification for being able to find numenera in your own mind and bring them out into the material world? Please don't kill my willing suspension of disbelief.
hah!

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Na, these guys just haven't played a lot of games. Also, they have good reason to vouch for Schafer. It's not a big deal, but I don't completely believe they're being honest with their choices. They just don't make any sense no matter how I look at it.

hiver

Colin:
The events around you are grim and dangerous, and some of the foes confronting you will have the power to wipe you from existence.
So there will be serious elements - VERY serious - but the way you answer them will be your choice.
Short answer: We absolutely plan to have levity, humor, irony, and snark in the game. Absolutely.
Glad to hear this, very glad.
I was already starting to think Colin is a bit too serious dude.

Hmm, dunno what I think about that. I thought PS:T's relatively constrained, almost claustrophobia-inducing world was an important part of that game's atmosphere. There's a reason they call Sigil "The Cage", after all.
Mere trash rumors i assure you.

And crazy theories.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom