Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Athelas

Arcane
A magic system can't be any good when its foundation basically entails 'glowing blue swords are cool'.

NotTale

Learned
For recent well-known turn based games, you're pretty much looking at Civ and XCOM.

I'm sure they could mention Arcanum, ToEE, or even Geneforge, but then the article writers and half the readers wouldn't know what the hell they're talking about.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
@ksaun Will ToN take any cues from PS:T in terms of overall visual appearance? For example, PS:T was notable for having characters that were both larger and more detailed than those in the "mainline" Infinity Engine games.

Unimportant "commoner" NPCs in particular were much more detailed in PS:T than in Baldur's Gate, including having more, well, animated animations:

planescape_torment01.jpg
baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-2-e1357578263639.jpg

I think it had an impact on the game's atmosphere.

ksaun

Arcane
Developer
@ksaun Will ToN take any cues from PS:T in terms of overall visual appearance? For example, PS:T was notable for having characters that were both larger and more detailed than those in the "mainline" Infinity Engine games.

Unimportant "commoner" NPCs in particular were much more detailed in PS:T than in Baldur's Gate, including having more, well, animated animations:

planescape_torment01.jpg

That's a good point. This is still an open question, but our initial inclination is smaller characters on screen because of the cost savings. The larger the characters, the more work required to reach a given level of visual quality (in both models and animations). So (to some extent), the larger we have them appear on screen, either the more they will cost to create or the lower their quality will appear.

Having smaller characters equates to being zoomed out further, which also means we can do more with the environments. More interesting tactical situations are also possible. (We could support multiple zoom levels but again it's a cost consideration.)

But we're still early in our experimentation.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

planescape_torment01.jpg

That's a good point. This is still an open question, but our initial inclination is smaller characters on screen because of the cost savings. The larger the characters, the more work required to reach a given level of visual quality (in both models and animations). So (to some extent), the larger we have them appear on screen, either the more they will cost to create or the lower their quality will appear.

Having smaller characters equates to being zoomed out further, which also means we can do more with the environments. More interesting tactical situations are also possible. (We could support multiple zoom levels but again it's a cost consideration.)

But we're still early in our experimentation.

They don't have to be super large, but the fact that they're more "custom" (due to having less character customization options, less armor and weapon permutations, etc) means that they should naturally be more detailed than, say, Project Eternity's characters.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
So out of curiousity if Wasteland 2 ends up being a big hit what will happen to Torment's budget? Will it stay the same in order to keep the scope in check or will it expand a bit?

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
So out of curiousity if Wasteland 2 ends up being a big hit what will happen to Torment's budget? Will it stay the same in order to keep the scope in check or will it expand a bit?

Most of it directed towards a third RPG, I'd hope, with a few scraps given to Torment to patch up unexpected holes rather than try to get carried away with the scope.

Wtf, he makes no sense. In his own game, you have almost no choice on character level up, almost all of it is determined at the beginning.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Wtf, he makes no sense. In his own game, you have almost no choice on character level up, almost all of it is determined at the beginning.

I don't think he's talking about abstracted "character building" here at all - whether on character creation or on level-up. For example, he cites AD&D as an example of a "play-focused" system, and almost everything is determined at the beginning there as well.

It's about gameplay unshackled by rules and systems. This stuff is really more relevant to PnP than a CRPG.

Last edited:

I don't think he's talking about abstracted "character building" here at all - whether on character creation or on level-up. For example, he cites AD&D as an example of a "play-focused" system, and almost everything is determined at the beginning there as well.

It's about gameplay unshackled by rules and systems. This stuff is really more relevant to PnP than a CRPG.

Actually, Numenera's character creation is like an antidote to my char creation OCD. I spent hours in the character creation screen at underrail alpha, the first time.

Also, IMO for a narrative focused game like torment, Numenera seems more suitable than say DnD...whose meat is combatfaggotry and lootwhoring.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
If the setting and fluff material are compelling, they can always be transposed to GURPS....

I still haven't received my hard copy of Numenera.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Do you guys have any idea on when the add-on system is going to work?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom