Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

stumbled upon this
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3905572&pagenumber=9
capture_257_16032020_192813.jpg

The idea of a mad prophet creating a magic mask to see God is an idea that is legitimately more interesting than everything else in this game, and is of course squandered because the only thing you can do with it is give it to the fat threesome for 25 XP.
*Seriously, I'm open to a better interpretation. The fact that the mask is called "the face that never remembered" and that the idea world is "harsh" and "angular" suggest that The Last Castoff is desperately trying to trample people to get to a world that will never come.
Can anyone explain what this allegory actually means?

gently caress me! I looked it up!

The entire thing is a pointless kickstarter backer joke. It's perfect! Somehow the RPG Codex crew managed to perfectly poo poo on this entire game and create something so pretentious and dumb it fit right in. If any of you guys are reading this, my metaphorical hat is off to you all. I have no idea what this in joke is, and honestly I don't care. Googling more indicates some kind of derpy 3D mask model made by some forums member named Prosper that these guys dumped money into to get it into the game.

:lol:

The game of a telephone. This is how religions starts.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
Would rather have played Torment: Tides of RPGCodexeria than the piece of purpley-prose shit from Heine, McCuck, and Jerkins.

Poetic justice that even a Codex castoff casual idea ended up being better than anything else in the game proves that out.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
it's not that bad of a game. some good content sprinkled here and there but god awful combat. probably the worst turn based combat i have ever played. some questlines are legit interesting.

Avellone's character is ridiculous, but the couple of NPCs writen by MRY are incline.

Edit: Inifere and other guy (Mazzof?) in fathom location.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
it's not that bad of a game. some good content sprinkled here and there but god awful combat. probably the worst turn based combat i have ever played. some questlines are legit interesting.

Avellone's character is ridiculous, but the couple of NPCs writen by MRY are incline.
I really liked Erritis and felt he best embodied the spirit of PST.
He was a hero because he believed it to be so -- the power of belief is central to planescape. His ending was also the only one that made me stop to think about it.

Imrahil

Educated
I've started to play through this game for the first time. I have nothing on my docket at the moment, & figured I'd see what the anti-fuss is all about. Played PS:Torment, of course. Great. Awesome. Not here abut that. Wanted to see what this "successor" is all about. So far... well not so good. I went in totally blind, I don't like reading up on tutorials or guides before I play a game (but do read reviews, which is why I waited so long to play this):

[mild, early SPOILERS below, fwiw]

The Good...
- I dunno, the way Callistege moves about & is like, "out of phase" & her toon reflects that? That's pretty cool.

The Bad...
- the whole attribute system: like how early on you only get a few points in an attribute & can't Focus yet. I like playing Mages (in this case, Nanos), but my character could barely succeed 20% of the time without spending 1/3 of her Int Pool. At the start. You're not supposed to feel awesome at the start, I get that, but you're also not supposed to feel useless. Or have to rest-spam all the time (still tried to avoid that).
- it'd be OK if my Nano didn't have to spend all her (potential) attack points to navigate dialogue. My companions can't contribute to more than 1 or 2 successes (Base: 10% - use 5 points? 60% yay! and wasted if you fail) before our whole party is just done, which means everyone's useless in combat when we do run into one.
- as illustrated above, dialogue stats use the same resource pool as combat stats!
- the # of companions: 3? screw that. tells me they had no idea how to develop their game & had to impose artificial limitations (which, I get, all games do, but a tiny party calls it out to me). A decent party RPG party game needs 4-5 companions at least. You can disagree of course, but to me, a party is a bunch of people. 4 is not a bunch of people. And especially, when you design a "successor" that has fewer companions than the original, you automatically suck (you hear me, Deadfire?).
- my biggest complaint: the amount of *useless* dialogue you have to wade through. PS:T had a bunch of dialogue, but it was (mostly) relevant to the story. When I'm wading through one of the early quests to solve a murder (Circles in Red) there's a place I have to talk to multiple suspects. It takes forever to hear their whole backstories, which I don't care about &, honestly, even doing it doesn't tell you what you (really) need to know, but you still have to go through it all & like "read their thoughts" & then go present your half-evidence, based on nothing, really. Not that this is the only example, but a "highlight" (lowlight I guess) so far.
- combat: when it happens, is just frikkin' dull - I just keep hitting the same abilities over & over & if I deplete their ability, I go rest, unless I'm in one of the rare kinda-timed quests, in which case, I just rely on items to replenish instead of rest. There's no tactics so far. I just spam some buffs at the start, then spam my best attacks (& maybe have Rhin hide, run, & snipe so no one kills her - I like her - I wanna keep her around). I'm sure it gets interesting in the future, but the first few levels are just dull, dull, dull.
- I get that BG1 was like this - snipe with arrows, *maybe expend a spell*, melee if you have to - but at least I *knew* there was more interesting stuff to come, because I knew the system that underlay it. The early stages whetted my appetite. Here I don't have that. I'm just like "oh, I guess I'll probably get more interesting stuff to do. I dunno. This is still boring, & the non-combat stuff is tedious."

Eh. Maybe it gets more interesting. I doubt it based on the (non-spoiler) reviews I've read. But I'll press on just to see.

Vatnik Wumao
Nanos are overpowered and the attribute system becomes a complete joke later on. Once your stats are high enough, you can succeed every single check and free rests allow you to spend to win for those checks that might give you trouble.

Efe

Erudite
combat is shit yea..
but about the rest, what makes disco elysium a success and this game a pile of turd?
simplest answer would be, bad writers...?

Efe

Erudite
part "I already paid for this, surely it might get better later" and part taking frequent breaks

lycanwarrior

Scholar
combat is shit yea..
but about the rest, what makes disco elysium a success and this game a pile of turd?
simplest answer would be, bad writers...?

TToN was a Kickstarter game.

As grateful as I am for Kickstarter helping to revive the hardcore CRPG genre, the results have been...uneven to say the least.

Just seems like crowdfunding still isn't nearly sufficient to fund complex CRPGs with decent production values, sadly enough

:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom