Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Worst game ever made.

Nah. It wasn’t all that bad as a game, it just had an unfortunate situation of trying to reach a mark it could not, and expectations burdening it that it couldn’t meet.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Worst game ever made.

Nah. It wasn’t all that bad as a game, it just had an unfortunate situation of trying to reach a mark it could not, and expectations burdening it that it couldn’t meet.
I won't say it's the worst, but it is bad as a game. The combat is clunky as hell, the itemization is not there, systems are not something to write home about and most of the "gameplay" is reading through walls of text.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Worst game ever made.

I won't say it's the worst, but it is bad as a game. The combat is clunky as hell, the itemization is not there, systems are not something to write home about and most of the "gameplay" is reading through walls of text.

It's definitely an underachiever of it's year and deserves most of its criticism, but when I looked at it not as a "spiritual successor to PST" but as an individual product, I didn't really find it to be as awful as it has been judged to be. Not that I wouldn't understand where the criticism is coming from; that's clear and even agreeable. But I suppose I'm not all that picky when it comes to these things, looking at individual aspects in isolation, when the big picture is actually tolerable. I've dealt with quite a lot of clumsiness from RPG's and I've kinda come to expect that sort of thing. And for a bit of a sidenote, I think cRPGs today seem to be even too hung up on "fluidity" and "accessibility" of everything (which always seems to come at the cost of things I appreciate in RPGs).

GloomFrost

Arcane
Worst game ever made.

It's definitely an underachiever of it's year and deserves most of its criticism, but when I looked at it not as a "spiritual successor to PST" but as an individual product, I didn't really find it to be as awful as it has been judged to be. Not that I wouldn't understand where the criticism is coming from; that's clear and even agreeable. But I suppose I'm not all that picky when it comes to these things, looking at individual aspects in isolation, when the big picture is actually tolerable. I've dealt with quite a lot of clumsiness from RPG's and I've kinda come to expect that sort of thing. And for a bit of a sidenote, I think cRPGs today seem to be even too hung up on "fluidity" and "accessibility" of everything (which always seems to come at the cost of things I appreciate in RPGs).
You are forgetting about about something very VERY Important. Numa muma is a kikcstarter project made with money of Planescape fans (myself included). And a lot of stretch goals were never met (third hub for example) despite a huge delay, noticeable graphics downgrade, even less voice acting then Planescape, God awfull portraits, I can go on and to make things even worse they make a console versions which means that part of the money went towards it instead of stretch goals we were PROMISED. So that's why i consider Numa numa one of the ugliest abominations in the entire industry along with F3 and DA2.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
You are forgetting...

I'm not forgetting it. I was also naive enough to throw 250€ towards the game and have regeretted it quite some.

But that's in the past and I can't undo it. I'm only looking at the finished product. And while it doesn't deserve any real praise and definitely not the sum I spent on it, I did find it tolerable.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So if I put my unopened and signed collection of TTON, POE1, W2 & CE of SOD up for auction, how much do you think I would get for it?.

Bear in mind that the first three were gold backed at $1000 each.

Looking back at this now (just got my W3 code as well) I suppose I'd be lucky to get a Codex retard award.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Chippy Realize you could have backed underworld ascendant and be happy...

I was reading Jordan Peterson's '12 Rules For Life' and he mentioned lobsters that are defeated, and crawl under a rock for the rest of their lives. Looking back at the guys I backed, makes me feel like I backed the wrong lobster.

But if Underworld Ascendent is the ruling lobster, with huge claws, a flowing mane of tendrails and a gigantic cock that gets all the girl lobsters...I might be persuaded to put my cheerleader dress on again. But at the moment, all this kickstarter stuff has left me feeling a bit shy...

Efe

Erudite
you misunderstand(?).
be happy now for you have not backed underworld ascendant.
see exhibit a:
Good news everyone. I just got my "collector's edition" of UA. And I think I've discovered the difference between the regular edition and the collector's edition.

The collector's edition has a different picture on the box. That's it. That's the only difference.

(No, it does not say "collector's edition," it just has the picture of the ghostly wraith dude instead of the lame skeleton dude).

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
But if Underworld Ascendent is the ruling lobster, with huge claws, a flowing mane of tendrails and a gigantic cock that gets all the girl lobsters...I might be persuaded to put my cheerleader dress on again. But at the moment, all this kickstarter stuff has left me feeling a bit shy...
It's a lobster without claws, tendrils, and cock. And actually, there's no lobster as well.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Hello! New here, and wants to ask about Tides. Finally decided to give this game a try but can't continue after a few hours. Too much descriptive text which wants to be too 'artsy' and is boring. I loved Planescape and most of the text was conversations which i found interesting and the few descriptive ones or memories were good and the pacing of them was decent. With this one i feel like a Balzac nover where the story might be interesting but when the first 15 pages are about how the mountains look i just lose the urge to read further. And in this game it also feels like its there just to add to the amount of text. Anyway. I was thinking maybe it's just in the beginning where the developers just want to show off with the writing and later it will turn more like PST and i just need to slog through it. So if anyone finished the game will it become better later on or should i just skip it?

Aside from some bits written by MRY and some other guys, I guess, the game as a whole is not what it is trying to be.

Codex Year of the Donut
stumbled upon this
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3905572&pagenumber=9
capture_257_16032020_192813.jpg

The idea of a mad prophet creating a magic mask to see God is an idea that is legitimately more interesting than everything else in this game, and is of course squandered because the only thing you can do with it is give it to the fat threesome for 25 XP.
*Seriously, I'm open to a better interpretation. The fact that the mask is called "the face that never remembered" and that the idea world is "harsh" and "angular" suggest that The Last Castoff is desperately trying to trample people to get to a world that will never come.
Can anyone explain what this allegory actually means?

gently caress me! I looked it up!

The entire thing is a pointless kickstarter backer joke. It's perfect! Somehow the RPG Codex crew managed to perfectly poo poo on this entire game and create something so pretentious and dumb it fit right in. If any of you guys are reading this, my metaphorical hat is off to you all. I have no idea what this in joke is, and honestly I don't care. Googling more indicates some kind of derpy 3D mask model made by some forums member named Prosper that these guys dumped money into to get it into the game.

:lol:

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
stumbled upon this
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3905572&pagenumber=9
capture_257_16032020_192813.jpg

The idea of a mad prophet creating a magic mask to see God is an idea that is legitimately more interesting than everything else in this game, and is of course squandered because the only thing you can do with it is give it to the fat threesome for 25 XP.
*Seriously, I'm open to a better interpretation. The fact that the mask is called "the face that never remembered" and that the idea world is "harsh" and "angular" suggest that The Last Castoff is desperately trying to trample people to get to a world that will never come.
Can anyone explain what this allegory actually means?

gently caress me! I looked it up!

The entire thing is a pointless kickstarter backer joke. It's perfect! Somehow the RPG Codex crew managed to perfectly poo poo on this entire game and create something so pretentious and dumb it fit right in. If any of you guys are reading this, my metaphorical hat is off to you all. I have no idea what this in joke is, and honestly I don't care. Googling more indicates some kind of derpy 3D mask model made by some forums member named Prosper that these guys dumped money into to get it into the game.

:lol:

Peak postmodernist trolling xD

DeepOcean

Arcane
I see prosper is reaching mythical status as it was foretold.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
I see prosper is reaching mythical status as it was foretold.

internet eccentrics always make the rounds sooner or later; some details that people make about them are mythologized and thus fictional, some are truth

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom