Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Infinitron, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Maculo Prophet

Maculo
    I thought about Kroq-gar, but doesn’t he start surrounded by corruption (vampiric and skaven?). Granted, I don’t remember if the vampire lord to the north was replaced by a tomb king.

I just remember corruption and public order being strange to handle on Kroq-gar(for me at least).

^ Top  
  2. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    There's some skaven in both ME and Vortex but every WH2 start other than tomb kings has skaven somewhere nearby. I don't think its any more than normal and being in a corner should make it much simpler. Saurus armies just autoresolve through early skaven armies like a knife through butter. You also start with a Skink Priest of Heavens which is the best magic type available for them.

^ Top  
  3. AgentFransis Savant Patron

AgentFransis
    I played Bretonia (Repanse) to start with. It's a nice and straightforward (literally, you can only expand east into the Tomb Kings unless you fancy going conquistadoring across the ocean, which come to think of it sounds like a fun campaign).

Speaking of which I'm playing Tomb Kings (Khalida) now and it's an just an amazing faction, probably my favorite at this point. The early game resource scarcity is really intense. You feel like a hobo scrounging the desert for spare change so you can afford a barracks. Every building slot and tech is a dilemma. Every unit slot you unlock feels like a treasure, even for units that you wouldn't look twice at in a normal faction. But when you survive the early expansion and start to build and tech up then holy crap your power level just explodes. Your cool units are some of the coolest in the game, both in effectiveness and in style. And finally you assemble your mechs and go stomp over everything (it was pretty funny - I jumped from like strength ranking 7 to 2 after completing my first 6 mechs).

The tech tree is really lovely too. Pretty, thematic and like the rest of the faction mechanics gates your progression while giving you a lot of real choices. Was also quite amused by the twisty and mad Skaven tech "tree".

P.S frankly the fact that this game is incline is nothing short of miraculous. I wrote off CA as lost to the decline more than a decade ago and then suddenly this resurgence. I can't think of one other developer that managed to claw it's way back from the pit of decline.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I didn't plan on joining in the praise, but I just left the game after playing for 4 hours straight.

One recurring theme I notice is how I keep trying to gather the money for some province building or upgrade but there is always something very short-term and pressing which prevents me.

Typical situation TW - my two stacks are tied up sieging Wissenland settlements when a beastmen stack shows up and sieges Helmgart. By the time I can come to help, they've razed it and I am two turns late to prevent it from being resettled by fucking Bretonnia. Like I needed another war. It feels quite balanceed and the AI is not annoying, I find myself liking it again.

^ Top  
  5. AgentFransis Savant Patron

AgentFransis
    Sigh. Order tide strikes again.
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

I just wanted to have a quiet game in the desert. All this shit is because I trespassed a bit against clan Angrund.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Maculo Prophet

Maculo
    You walked into the wrong neighborhood son. Gotta pay the toll.

^ Top  
  7. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    which are the vanilla races? being these probably my last days i was thinking about wasting some money, but after having played the *cough*cough* version i don't know how much punishment and humiliation i could get with a barebone game. i would be in for the mods, of course, and for the new mortal empire turn time speed (last *cough*cough* version available was pretty old. and slow, oh god so slow, 2 minutes per turn slow. wtf, this is not cavemen2cosmos).

^ Top  
  8. Maculo Prophet

Maculo
    For TW2:
    Dark Elves-Malekith, Morathi. FLC lord is Felkir?
    High Elves: Tyrion, Teclis.
    Lizardmen: Mazdamundi, Kroq-gar. I don't remember who the FLC lords are.
    Skaven: Queek and Skrolk. Tretch is FLC lord?

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    quite underwhelming :|

^ Top  
  10. Maculo Prophet

Maculo
    It also depends on what you are looking for. For example, Malekith is incredibly strong and can demolish certain armies, whereas Teclis is absolutely surrounded. Also, CA has redone certain TW1 factions that are worth a try (Bretonnia, etc.).

[​IMG]

Of the DLC, I would definitely recommend Tomb Kings. I cannot speak for Vampire Coast, because I have not tried any of those lords just yet.

^ Top  
  11. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    dude, did you even read what i said? obviously not.

^ Top  
  12. Maculo Prophet

Maculo
    Well, its not every day I get an excuse to post a Teclis meme.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Lone Wolf Arcane

Lone Wolf
    Vanilla races:

TWW1

Empire
    Dwarves
    Vampire Counts
    Greenskins

TWW2

High Elves
    Dark Elves
    Skaven
    Lizardmen

Mortal Empires

All of the above

If you like combined arms, go Empire or High Elves. If you like hard hitting but fast fading, Dark Elves. If you like brute force and smashing through defensive lines, go Lizardmen. For turtling/tanking, see the Dwarves. For firepower, the Skaven are your friendly neighbourhood rats of choice. For powerful single entity elites, Vampires are the way to go. For not much of anything, Greenskins are da best. DA BEEESSST.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire
    and here's another one.

^ Top  
  15. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm in turn ~90 and my turn time is under 20s. The age of SSD.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    You can *cough*cough* the DLC if you have TWWH2 and play it all with mods just fine.

^ Top  
  17. MadMaxHellfire Arcane

MadMaxHellfire

^ Top  
  18. Lone Wolf Arcane

Lone Wolf
    What do you mean 'here's another one'? You asked 'which are the vanilla races'? What were you looking for?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Crichton Prophet

Crichton
    I was kind of dubious when this first came out since I thought it was going to be a low-effort cash grab, but I played the tabletop game long ago and the positive reviews swayed me. I've played about 1.5 of the WH1 dwarven campaigns (one as Thorgrimm and part of another as the White Dwarf) and I'm currently part-way through a WH2 mortal empires campaign as the Slayer King. I've been consistently impressed with the effort CA put into this; the faction-specific mechanics are a little hit-or-miss (I like oathgold, not so high on the book of grudges) but the art and voice-acting are top-notch and in general things happen in a pretty setting-appropriate way (no Empire/Greenskins alliances or the like).

Dwarf-specific comments (since I haven't played any of the inferior races yet)

- The book of grudges is way too proscriptive; you shouldn't be forced into inconvenient agent actions, spilling enemy blood on the battlefield should satisfy any grudge.

- The dwarf AI seems to have serious issues early on (I've heard it rights the ship later). My fellow dwarves seemed hard-pressed from the beginning in both campaigns. In the first game, I found the going pretty easy as a player, once you weathered the initial greenskin tide, you could sweep down the world's edge mountains and have a secure base to strike out into the badlands. In the 2nd game, as the new slayer-centric faction, the greenskin AI could draw forth limitless numbers of black orcs when my impoverished northern holds couldn't produce or support higher-level troops. I had to mount a pretty desperate attack on Black Crag's capitol to shut off the black orc spigot before I got overwhelmed.

- As a dwarf player in the 2nd game, once you sort the Greenskins out, Ordertide is real. The greenskins, skaven and chaos have been wiped out and the forces of good are gearing up to invade the new world (I actually like the latter part, it's like a new adventure)

- The autoresolve is pretty fucky; as a dwarf player, I auto-resolved a skaven ambush by a stack consisting entirely of ratling guns that I figured was hopeless and I won. If I had fought that one, it would have been like Saxon Huscarls trying to swarm WWI machine gunners, total clusterfuck. Many a dwarf met his doom at the hands of clan eschin stacks where every unit had armor-piercing.

- The "regional occupation" system in the first game was a little frustrating because the northern half of the empire (and Kislev) was reduced to wastes that the empire AI was too stupid to recolonize and as I dwarf, there was nothing I could do to help them. However the free-for-all system in the 2nd game is equally stupid without that region trading mod; empire squatting on dwarf holds, dwarven occupation of Sylvania, completely bonkers.

- CA really needs to invest in some mechanisms for endgame difficulty that don't involve pulling stacks out of nowhere. I wasn't a huge fan of "realm divided" or whatever the shogun 2 thing was, but the mongol/hun/viking/chaos invasion where they just pull a bunch of stacks out of their ass is definitely a step down even when it works (didn't work in the 2nd game from what I saw, the Empire handled them admirably on its own).

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Danikas Arcane

Danikas
    Thank the latest patch that fixed turn times before that turns with ssd took me 1 or 2 mins.

^ Top  
  21. Average Manatee Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Average Manatee
    Yes, it works on the latest version. You just download the DLC files and use the crack.

^ Top  
  22. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master
    You can unlock all DLCs on Steam with a certain little tool. All you need is the base game. Works for all TW games.

^ Top  
  23. Brotherman Bill Arcane

Brotherman Bill
    That's due to software fixing, has nuthin to do with SSD :M

SSD is a good idea for post battle loading though...

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Desmodus Rotundus Augur

Desmodus Rotundus
    There is actually a new *cough*cough* version out for about a month now, just found out a few days ago, and got it from KAT, actually has the faster turn times version.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. AwesomeButton Personally falsified the US election results Patron

AwesomeButton
    I just got the Chaos Invasion event, playing as the Empire. What's interesting is that I am in turn 139 (turns should be irrelevant after the condition for the invasion was patched), and that I directly own 27 settlements - most places on the internet say you need between 35 and "50+" settlements to trigger the invasion. My ally Middenland owns another 3 settlements, if that would make any difference.

So the conditions for triggering the invasion remain a mystery.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.