Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Sigh. Order tide strikes again.
FpXw6bf.jpg
I just wanted to have a quiet game in the desert. All this shit is because I trespassed a bit against clan Angrund.
You walked into the wrong neighborhood son. Gotta pay the toll.

which are the vanilla races? being these probably my last days i was thinking about wasting some money, but after having played the *cough*cough* version i don't know how much punishment and humiliation i could get with a barebone game. i would be in for the mods, of course, and for the new mortal empire turn time speed (last *cough*cough* version available was pretty old. and slow, oh god so slow, 2 minutes per turn slow. wtf, this is not cavemen2cosmos).

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
which are the vanilla races? being these probably my last days i was thinking about wasting some money, but after having played the *cough*cough* version i don't know how much punishment and humiliation i could get with a barebone game. i would be in for the mods, of course, and for the new mortal empire turn time speed (last *cough*cough* version available was pretty old. and slow, oh god so slow, 2 minutes per turn slow. wtf, this is not cavemen2cosmos).

For TW2:
Dark Elves-Malekith, Morathi. FLC lord is Felkir?
High Elves: Tyrion, Teclis.
Lizardmen: Mazdamundi, Kroq-gar. I don't remember who the FLC lords are.
Skaven: Queek and Skrolk. Tretch is FLC lord?

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
quite underwhelming :|
It also depends on what you are looking for. For example, Malekith is incredibly strong and can demolish certain armies, whereas Teclis is absolutely surrounded. Also, CA has redone certain TW1 factions that are worth a try (Bretonnia, etc.).

mgx6jzcw5lk31.jpg

Of the DLC, I would definitely recommend Tomb Kings. I cannot speak for Vampire Coast, because I have not tried any of those lords just yet.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Vanilla races:

TWW1

Empire
Dwarves
Vampire Counts
Greenskins

TWW2

High Elves
Dark Elves
Skaven
Lizardmen

Mortal Empires

All of the above

If you like combined arms, go Empire or High Elves. If you like hard hitting but fast fading, Dark Elves. If you like brute force and smashing through defensive lines, go Lizardmen. For turtling/tanking, see the Dwarves. For firepower, the Skaven are your friendly neighbourhood rats of choice. For powerful single entity elites, Vampires are the way to go. For not much of anything, Greenskins are da best. DA BEEESSST.

You can *cough*cough* the DLC if you have TWWH2 and play it all with mods just fine.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
What do you mean 'here's another one'? You asked 'which are the vanilla races'? What were you looking for?

Crichton

Prophet
I was kind of dubious when this first came out since I thought it was going to be a low-effort cash grab, but I played the tabletop game long ago and the positive reviews swayed me. I've played about 1.5 of the WH1 dwarven campaigns (one as Thorgrimm and part of another as the White Dwarf) and I'm currently part-way through a WH2 mortal empires campaign as the Slayer King. I've been consistently impressed with the effort CA put into this; the faction-specific mechanics are a little hit-or-miss (I like oathgold, not so high on the book of grudges) but the art and voice-acting are top-notch and in general things happen in a pretty setting-appropriate way (no Empire/Greenskins alliances or the like).

Dwarf-specific comments (since I haven't played any of the inferior races yet)

- The book of grudges is way too proscriptive; you shouldn't be forced into inconvenient agent actions, spilling enemy blood on the battlefield should satisfy any grudge.

- The dwarf AI seems to have serious issues early on (I've heard it rights the ship later). My fellow dwarves seemed hard-pressed from the beginning in both campaigns. In the first game, I found the going pretty easy as a player, once you weathered the initial greenskin tide, you could sweep down the world's edge mountains and have a secure base to strike out into the badlands. In the 2nd game, as the new slayer-centric faction, the greenskin AI could draw forth limitless numbers of black orcs when my impoverished northern holds couldn't produce or support higher-level troops. I had to mount a pretty desperate attack on Black Crag's capitol to shut off the black orc spigot before I got overwhelmed.

- As a dwarf player in the 2nd game, once you sort the Greenskins out, Ordertide is real. The greenskins, skaven and chaos have been wiped out and the forces of good are gearing up to invade the new world (I actually like the latter part, it's like a new adventure)

- The autoresolve is pretty fucky; as a dwarf player, I auto-resolved a skaven ambush by a stack consisting entirely of ratling guns that I figured was hopeless and I won. If I had fought that one, it would have been like Saxon Huscarls trying to swarm WWI machine gunners, total clusterfuck. Many a dwarf met his doom at the hands of clan eschin stacks where every unit had armor-piercing.

- The "regional occupation" system in the first game was a little frustrating because the northern half of the empire (and Kislev) was reduced to wastes that the empire AI was too stupid to recolonize and as I dwarf, there was nothing I could do to help them. However the free-for-all system in the 2nd game is equally stupid without that region trading mod; empire squatting on dwarf holds, dwarven occupation of Sylvania, completely bonkers.

- CA really needs to invest in some mechanisms for endgame difficulty that don't involve pulling stacks out of nowhere. I wasn't a huge fan of "realm divided" or whatever the shogun 2 thing was, but the mongol/hun/viking/chaos invasion where they just pull a bunch of stacks out of their ass is definitely a step down even when it works (didn't work in the 2nd game from what I saw, the Empire handled them admirably on its own).

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
You can unlock all DLCs on Steam with a certain little tool. All you need is the base game. Works for all TW games.

There is actually a new *cough*cough* version out for about a month now, just found out a few days ago, and got it from KAT, actually has the faster turn times version.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I just got the Chaos Invasion event, playing as the Empire. What's interesting is that I am in turn 139 (turns should be irrelevant after the condition for the invasion was patched), and that I directly own 27 settlements - most places on the internet say you need between 35 and "50+" settlements to trigger the invasion. My ally Middenland owns another 3 settlements, if that would make any difference.

So the conditions for triggering the invasion remain a mystery.

Last edited:

Olinser

Savant
I just got the Chaos Invasion event, playing as the Empire. What's interesting is that I am in turn 139 (turns should be irrelevant after the condition for the invasion was patched), and that I directly own 27 settlements - most places on the internet say you need between 35 and "50+" settlements to trigger the invasion. My ally Middenland owns another 3 settlements, if that would make any difference.

So the conditions for triggering the invasion remain a mystery.

SOMEBODY needs to own that many. Are you ranked #1? Check the Dawi or the elves they can snowball fast.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
SOMEBODY needs to own that many. Are you ranked #1? Check the Dawi or the elves they can snowball fast.
Ok. But how many, what is the number?

Any mods?
None, playing vanilla WH1

I was ranked 2nd in overall strength at the time of the invasion event. I was #1 for a brief period, while I was confederating elector counts but then I had to disband some of their armies, to get rid of the upkeep markup.

Mazisky

Magister
I've made a cosmetic-only mod that rework the lighting on every map and add a lot of night battles for different climates since the game is lacking those.

I know many don't care about visual stuff but if you do I would appreciate some feedback (e.g. too dark\too bright\too colorful):

JK6dFf.jpg

JK65AB.jpg

JK6lMg.jpg

JK6Yt1.jpg

JK60Pa.jpg

JK6Gcv.jpg

Danikas

Arcane
Ok. But how many, what is the number?
About 50 from what I expierienced during a co-op campaign with my friend. I was playing Lizzardmen and had about 10 cities my friend was Bretonnia and he confederated every other Bretonnian faction before turn 50 and Chaos got triggered then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom