Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

Mazisky

Magister
I've been asked for a confederation multiple times. Which are the disadvantages of having it?

Olinser

Savant
I've been asked for a confederation multiple times. Which are the disadvantages of having it?

You take a public order penalty for a few turns, a diplomatic penalty for a few turns, you take control of ALL armies that the confederated AI currently owns, which massively increases your upkeep and generally requires spend several minutes disbanding crap troops and trash point distribution leaders, you can't confederate another faction for 10 turns, and if you confederate a faction that has a Legendary Lord but doesn't currently have them active they're gone forever.

Overall though it's almost ALWAYS worth it to take confederation unless they're tiny and only own a couple towns, or unless you're waiting for them to recruit their Legendary Lord so you can confederate then.

Parabalus

Arcane

You lose imperial authority and have to pay for your new armies (issue on higher difficulties due to supply lines), I don't think you get the usual PO and relations confed penalty.

But it is intended as mostly a positive thing, since it's a reward for getting 10 fealty.

_V_

Scholar
What's with trade? I never bothered to check numbers, but as I understood it, you lose trade incomes (which would make no sense if true) while the income buildungs rarely make up for the loss. (At least not when the additional upkeep is taken into account.)

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
Income from tax is almost always considerably greater than trade income. Also trade income is proportional to the size of the trading partner so if you're confederating someone smallish (which you usually are) you don't lose much to begin with.

Additional upkeep is up to you. If you don't want the extra armies then disband them.

Parabalus

Arcane
and if you confederate a faction that has a Legendary Lord but doesn't currently have them active they're gone forever.

arent legendary lords immortal?

If they're wounded and you confed the faction they'd disappear, i.e. they wouldn't recover when you own them. E.g. kill Vlad and Isabella, confed them before they respawn for the AI - you lost them forever.

It was allegedly fixed in a patched, can't confirm.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
It's been fixed - you get all the wounded when you confederate. However if you confederate before the LL was recruited to begin with (like if Vlad hasn't recruited Isabella yet at all) then they're gone.

exe

Augur
Is this or the first one actually moddable like the old TWs?

LizardWizard

Cipher
Is this or the first one actually moddable like the old TWs?

As long as you're not a virgin expecting Lord of the Rings shit in a Warhammer game then yeah it's fairly moddable considering the overhauls that exist

razvedchiki

Erudite
lol what? older TWs are much more moddable than the games after empire, mods like third age are not possible in the current engine.
just check simple stuff like new faction rosters, 99% are existing units with minimal changes.

LizardWizard

Cipher
There are plenty of mods with new units/factions/mechanics/spells. Third Age was just re-skinned identical herp a derp TW gameplay.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
TWs are much more moddable than the games after empire, mods like third age are not possible in the current engine.

Nah, dude, the issue is the map, which is non-moddable in the most recent games. TW: Atilla, on the other hand, has an editable map, and they're already putting together LotR-based total overhauls.

The actual mechanics of the very editable TWs (M2, R1) are pretty basic across the board. The hard-coded unit/faction count in M2, for example, is a killer. And there's only so much scripting you can do before the whole thing collapses like a house of cards. The Third Age Divide and Conquer folks have done an amazing job, and I love that mod, but it's pretty primitive compared to some of the things that have already been done in TWW2. They've recently figured out how to import custom models wholesale, so some crazy units are in the works. Theoretically, a LotR mod wouldn't be difficult - the issue is the map (and the legal problem of CA's cease and desists).

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Just finished my Bretonnia campaign, thrashed Arachaon again, this time by my own choice. He seemed to be a bigger threat than the Greenskins.

I suppose if I replay with any of the other Bretonnian legendary heroes/subfactions, I should give it some time before doing it, because the differences aren't that grand?

Also, which is the next tougher Warhammer I race? Wood Elves, Beastmen, Greenskins (I've already done campaigns with Dwarfs and Vampires)? I'd like to do one campaign with each race while I wait for Warhammer II to get a discount again.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Wood Elves and Beastmen offer verry different campaigns compared to the rest, and most agree that both are rather boring to play.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Well I found Bretonnia a bit on the easy and boring side. I confederated all the minor factions quite soon, and after that I hardly ever had enemies in my lands. Except the occasional Beastmen or Norsca tribe trying to raid. So far Empire has been my favourite campaign in terms of single player crafted experience - you get gradually larger goals and have to solve escalating problems which form a narrative - the rebels, unifying the empire, defeat the vampires, prepare for the chaos invasion, try to prop Kislev as long as possible, try to get the dwarfs to help against chaos, finally deafeat Archaon.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
You really should get WHII and then add some good mods - if you like the WHI so much, its even worth it at full price.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I bought WH1 at full price when it was released. CA has sucked enough blood out of me.

Hmm...
13858.jpg

Beggar

Cipher
I just can't... Who the fuck wrote all this crap for the Tomb factions? They speak stupid, they talk with pseudo russian accent. Basically you have to mute the sound and put on some music to not to hear this retardation

Iron Balls McGinty

I just can't... Who the fuck wrote all this crap for the Tomb factions? They speak stupid, they talk with pseudo russian accent. Basically you have to mute the sound and put on some music to not to hear this retardation
Settra does not surf.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron

Fuck, beastmen are so fun to play with in battle. Completely different approach and one of the faction I feel CA nailed in the battle mechanics to be as close to tabletop as possible (bar the inane random shit like "lol half your army decides to go defecate in an elven meadow lol good luck bro").

Vanguard deployment, which is usually either a novelty or a one trick pony unit for other races, makes or breaks them and you can pull off really nifty thing with it! Minotaurs (and Gorebulls!) are hilarious and surprisngly solid, they need to be in order to carry your otherwise sub par roster. Centigors are cheap and effective cav, usually able to punch much higher than their cost (and die in the process obviously, still... it's something, I think...). When I force myself to play a campaign and mind you, their horde mechanics are still leaps and bounds better than chaos, I often find myself fielding otherwise useless crap, like harpies and still manage to get some surprising utility out of them!

Casters are also surprisingly nice, if a bit boring. Two free manticores per combat (lore of beasts) are nifty and solve a lot of problems without wasting resources, rampage is actually a plus, since they never flee! Lore of the wyld is also useful all around with summons, damage and utility. Biggest problems are their lords, Khazrak is powerful but lacks utility and ease of movement. Malagor I find meh. Morghur is pretty nice but he suffers from similar problem as Khazrak. They should really expand the roster further and give their lord that little oomph...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom