Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer III

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
They don't differ enough. Troy's factions are way more diverse.

Really have to wonder how games are supposed to have the kind of diversity people want if even Warhammer doesn't have enough. Is Pharoah supposed to have a space marine faction alongside a cthulu mythos faction for variety?

I get that Egypt Egypt and more Egypt doesn't have much replayability but if the standard is so high then what could possibly be acceptable?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Really have to wonder how games are supposed to have the kind of diversity people want if even Warhammer doesn't have enough. Is Pharoah supposed to have a space marine faction alongside a cthulu mythos faction for variety?

I get that Egypt Egypt and more Egypt doesn't have much replayability but if the standard is so high then what could possibly be acceptable?
Gladius has 12 factions that play radically differently, it is possible. Total Warhammer's factions are hamstrung by the overly simplistic "base" campaign mechanics and don't feature almost anything unique from their lore. Where are the Greenskin spores or the Great Green? You know how orc magic is supposed to get stronger the longer a battle goes on or get weaker if your troops route? There is no such thing in Total Warhammer, orc magic works the same as any other. The Dwarfs Great Book of Grudges is literally the Senate from Rome. How is vampire corruption or any other corruption different than culture conversion from the historical games? It's all smoke and mirrors. Most factions are just visual swaps with little to no meaningful differentiation, whether in campaign mechanics or rosters. The historical games have had the same minuscule stat differences between units of different factions.

Tyrr

Liturgist
They need to fire everyone except the team that did the WH2 post-release support. The biggest mistake was to not let these guys develop WH3.

Lacrymas

Arcane
CA Sofia is actually their best team and it's 100% not their fault Pharaoh turned out a dud. They did what they could with the time, resources and engine they were given.

tabacila

Augur
The Sophia team at least seems interested in trying new things like upgrade chains for units or multiple resources. Nothing wild, but at least playing with stuff around the stagnant core engine.

The setting never really had any chance for a TW game imo, at least not one with the current engine's capabilities. The meat and potatoes of TW are the RTT battles and having an infantry heavy setting with little combined arms and with just a sprinkling of chariots (which are really bad in the engine) was a recipe for boredom.
The draw for a systems collapse setting is, for me, in the grand strategy layer and CA is shit at that.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

The point that CA can only sell Total War that has licenses attached is interesting.

Magic the gathering kind of went the same way right? They fucked their own creative value and just sell shitty tie in products.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
LegendOfTotalWar banned lmao. See companies only want to give early review copies to shills. God bless capitalism.

Lacrymas

Arcane
That doesn't surprise me, I don't remember the last time I've heard him say anything positive about CA or even Total War. I imagine it's extremely frustrating to be a partner of CA because they don't care and only use you for marketing. Small family business which needs grants from the government and all that.

For all the bad that streamers bring, at least they have a revenue alternative to sucking corporate cock and shilling every piece of crap that gets put out.

thesecret1

Arcane
People selected to get copies prior to release should flag their videos as sponsored content, because that's what it is. Probably only get away with it because nobody bothers to sue over such shit.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
People selected to get copies prior to release should flag their videos as sponsored content, because that's what it is. Probably only get away with it because nobody bothers to sue over such shit.
They actually usually do flag as being sponsored. But no one reads that or cares about it. The marketing hype machine is churning away and the players *want* to believe that the game is good. So they ignore *the haters* and support the *positive and objective* shills.

Elttharion

Learned
LegendOfTotalWar banned lmao. See companies only want to give early review copies to shills. God bless capitalism.
Apparently the official reason they banned him was because he was too 'hostile' to CA but I think they got really butthurt when he defended Volund.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
The wild thing is that Pharaoh isn't that bad! But everything about CA besides Pharaoh is a Total Shit Show.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom