Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer III

GreyViper

Prophet
Nah, people just don't give a shit about ancient Egypt.
Exactly, I bet if they had made a new homebrewed race for Ind or Nipon in TWH3 it would sell twice as much and make them profit. Hell recycle some of that 3K assets into Cathay and profit form that too.

Gromoer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hell recycle some of that 3K assets into Cathay and profit form that too.
One would say recycling assets is what CA is all about :smug:
Exactly, I bet if they had made a new homebrewed race for Ind or Nipon in TWH3 it would sell twice as much and make them profit.
CA proved to be highly incompetent in homebrewing fantasy stuff plus very few are interested in phantasy versions of Japan and India. They had their chance with Kislev which should have been an easy win and the centerpiece of the whole third part, but somehow they’ve managed to fuck it up.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
I fought toof and nail as Skarsnik to get Karak Eight Peaks aaaand... Apparently the only way to ever get ork units is the unique building there that takes 10 turns each to upgrade. What the fuck man.

Delterius

Arcane
Nah, people just don't give a shit about ancient Egypt.

People do but they don't give a shit about or even know of about the surrounding civilisations at all, which makes it a bad setting for a strategic game pitting different civilisations/nations against each other.

Ancient Egypt makes more sense for an RPG or a city builder.
people like bronze age and egypt. they just don't give a shit about another fucking saga title in the wake of hyenas gobbling all the funding at CA.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I don't know if this topic has already been raised, but what turned me off from the third part was the cartoonish-cubist visual direction, so similar to many modern games.

I know that Warhammer started as a cartoon, but, firstly, they were different cartoons, and secondly, the first Total War in the series elegantly balanced cartoon and historical inspirations.

Call of Warhammer chads:

Yke53pZ.jpeg

Warhammer 3 fat people:

Kislev-armu.jpg

Gromoer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't know if this topic has already been raised, but what turned me off from the third part was the cartoonish-cubist visual direction, so similar to many modern games.

I know that Warhammer started as a cartoon, but, firstly, they were different cartoons, and secondly, the first Total War in the series elegantly balanced cartoon and historical inspirations.

Call of Warhammer chads:

Yke53pZ.jpeg

Warhammer 3 fat people:

Kislev-armu.jpg
Absolutely. As already has been mentioned many times in this thread there were so many cool ways to design Kislev, so it was seemingly an impossible task to fuck up. Yet here we are with Disney looking Kislev on their ice sleds. Just couple of mgs to elaborate on what we could have.

Attachments

• 0868AAC4-0C4A-44B0-B5DE-E2FC316A880E.jpeg
    0868AAC4-0C4A-44B0-B5DE-E2FC316A880E.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 46
  • tumblr_4c70faab1f84b81bd121a16fdfed9b67_12fcdfbe_1280.jpeg
    tumblr_4c70faab1f84b81bd121a16fdfed9b67_12fcdfbe_1280.jpeg
    716.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 7uA8-am2L1A.jpeg
    7uA8-am2L1A.jpeg
    65.4 KB · Views: 43
  • dTPvkjaadQU.jpeg
    dTPvkjaadQU.jpeg
    58.1 KB · Views: 49
  • tumblr_mxptbjt7LW1sh0flzo1_1280.jpeg
    tumblr_mxptbjt7LW1sh0flzo1_1280.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_8122.jpeg
    IMG_8122.jpeg
    382.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Q2_H9R6f4UM.jpeg
    Q2_H9R6f4UM.jpeg
    235.6 KB · Views: 46
  • pvaD6N4kb64.jpeg
    pvaD6N4kb64.jpeg
    45.6 KB · Views: 43
  • e7NkEUgvLyI.jpeg
    e7NkEUgvLyI.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 39
  • lxD7U39N2TY.jpeg
    lxD7U39N2TY.jpeg
    71 KB · Views: 40

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Call of Warhammer chads:

Yke53pZ.jpeg

Warhammer 3 fat people:

Kislev-armu.jpg
Absolutely. As already has been mentioned many times in this thread there were so many cool ways to design Kislev, so it was seemingly an impossible task to fuck up. Yet here we are with Disney looking Kislev on their ice sleds. Just couple of mgs to elaborate on what we could have.

And all the units look so bulgy!

armoured_kossars_by_morgan1501_dfvfzvd-pre.jpg

For example this "Armoured Kossars" - let's ignore the fact that the sisaks look like those of Persia, let's ignore arabic knfies, let's ignore that this unit is called after COSSACKS, but why are the scales of their lame armor so large? They don't look like soldiers, but like toys. Plus these strange decorations. And what do they have under their armor that makes them so bulging? Plush?

Last edited:

Elttharion

Learned

Call of Warhammer chads:

Yke53pZ.jpeg

Warhammer 3 fat people:

Kislev-armu.jpg

For example this "Armoured Kossars" - let's ignore the fact that the sisaks look like those of Persia, let's ignore arabic knfies, let's ignore that this unit is called after COSSACKS, but why are the scales of their lame armor so large? They don't look like soldiers, but like toys. Plus these strange decorations. And what do they have under their armor that makes them so bulging? Plush?
They remind me of the kul tirans from WOW.

Kul-Tiran-Heritage-Armor.png

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Call of Warhammer chads:

Yke53pZ.jpeg

Warhammer 3 fat people:

Kislev-armu.jpg

They remind me of the kul tirans from WOW.

Kul-Tiran-Heritage-Armor.png

I see it as a form of stylistic incest. In the early 1990s, Warhammer was colorful and grotesque. Blizzard first copied this style, and then gradually smoothed it out until WoW as we know it was created. Then Games Workshop started imitating Blizzard and that's how Age of Sigmar was created. As Wargammer Fantasy Battle has been recreated within Total War, it is beginning to adapt to Games Workshop's new direction.

Why is everything so homogenized? Is it so terrible to have a separate superhero style for Age of Sigmar and pseudo-realism for Fantasy Battle?

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I thought the general consensus was that Total War 3 is shit. Why is the codex still playing it?

Everything I've read about this reeks of corporate greed. From what I've seen so far it looks like the playerbase is really tight and makes the game more worthwhile. At the same time it looks like that's exactly why so many DLCs are being milked. Is this what Stockholm syndrome looks like?

The launch was shit because the story campaign's mechanics are all fucking awful. But they released the Immortal Empires map which is a giant freeplay world with all the factions from WH1/2/3, so that fixes like 80% of what was wrong with WH3. The main thing wrong now is sieges being awful, which has a bunch of mods to either tweak things or just remove them.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
And factions being of too varying a quality. And battles being too one-dimensional. And only early game being somewhat enjoyable. And bugs galore. And magic being overpowered and a solution to every problem. And AI being mind-bogglingly shit and getting worse. And rosters feeling samey across factions.

And factions being of too varying a quality.
Only factions that I'd consider to be truly bad right now are Nurgath and the Demon Prince. Everyone else is reasonably good. Though the other demon factions are kind of meh and one dimensional.

And battles being too one-dimensional.
Not sure what you mean. You have to kill the enemies. That's the dimension.

And only early game being somewhat enjoyable.
Ehh, somewhat agree, but you clearly aren't supposed to be conquering the whole world or anything near that.

And magic being overpowered and a solution to every problem.
It's better balanced than WH2 where every battle was 80% mage kills.

And AI being mind-bogglingly shit and getting worse.
Aside from sieges its fine.
And rosters feeling samey across factions.
There's like 30 races and 100 factions. Obviously there's gonna be a lot of overlap. Still vastly more varied than any other TW game.

Lacrymas

Arcane
List of unplayable factions: Ungrim, Karl Franz, Balthasar Gelt, Tzarina Katarin, Lord Mazdamundi, Ku'gath, both ogre factions, Kairos Fateweaver, Grand Hierophant Khetep, all vampire coast factions except Aranessa, Daemon Prince
List of borderline unplayable factions: all dwarfs except Grombrindal, Kostaltyn, Tiktak'to, Norsca, Aranessa

There's like 30 races and 100 factions. Obviously there's gonna be a lot of overlap. Still vastly more varied than any other TW game.

It's worse than that. There's severe overlap between a lot of the factions and rarely do you get a faction that plays differently. Oh and the archer meta is still going strong.

List of unplayable factions: Ungrim, Karl Franz, Balthasar Gelt, Tzarina Katarin, Lord Mazdamundi, Ku'gath, both ogre factions, Kairos Fateweaver, Grand Hierophant Khetep, all vampire coast factions except Aranessa, Daemon Prince
List of borderline unplayable factions: all dwarfs except Grombrindal, Kostaltyn, Tiktak'to, Norsca, Aranessa
wat. Define unplayable. Most of these factions play just fine.

It's worse than that. There's severe overlap between a lot of the factions and rarely do you get a faction that plays differently. Oh and the archer meta is still going strong.
Archers/Magic spam is far less needed. You literally needed it 100% of the time in WH2 but in WH3 plenty of factions dominate with mostly melee or even pure melee. Of course there are still factions that are biased towards ranged by their design but that's variety.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Factions are unplayable when their early game is either bugged, excruciatingly slow, has an extremely bad economy, has weak starting rosters or starting positions (i.e. surrounded by enemies who hate them or unsuitable terrain), or their mechanics severely cripple them (in the case of Karl Franz and Gelt). Daemon Prince has most of these issues. You can snowball with any faction if you get over the initial hurdle, that's not debatable, but then the game becomes boring because you are simply mopping up and there's no point to continuing to play.

And yeah, they are far less needed, but magic and archers are still super overpowered. You can decimate entire armies with a good placed pit spell like Pit of Shades or Infernal Gateway.

Elttharion

Learned
I thought the general consensus was that Total War 3 is shit. Why is the codex still playing it?

Everything I've read about this reeks of corporate greed. From what I've seen so far it looks like the playerbase is really tight and makes the game more worthwhile. At the same time it looks like that's exactly why so many DLCs are being milked. Is this what Stockholm syndrome looks like?
I think its a fun game and I like it quite a bit. Sure there are several flaws and bugs but due to how extensive the modding community is you can fix most/all of them.

The last DLC was overpriced garbage tho and the dev support for the game is really poor. Its clear CA wants to milk the playerbase because of the studios long list of flops. Fortunately you can use creamapi to unlock the DLCs so, meh.

Factions are unplayable when their early game is either bugged, excruciatingly slow, has an extremely bad economy, has weak starting rosters or starting positions (i.e. surrounded by enemies who hate them or unsuitable terrain), or their mechanics severely cripple them (in the case of Karl Franz and Gelt).
In that case you don't know how to play them. They play fine. I could go over what to do with most of the factions you list but you listed like 20 so pick something to narrow your selection.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom