Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer III

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Climate preferences actually play a big role in how a campaign/faction goes.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Turns out you can get a bunch of free high-tier armies by forcefully confederating an endgame crisis dwarf LL.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Oh, and you get credit for the legendary grudges if the endgame crisis armies (specifically those not controlled by you) annihilate the requisite factions, so it's doubly easier to confederate them later.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
yjpi5cs2bt0d1.jpeg

Elttharion

Learned
I dont know if it was just bad luck or if they changed something in the AI but my current Franz campaign is hell on earth and I love it. I am at war with Kemmler, Vlad, Festus, Azagh, Skrag, Skarsnik, Grom, some small Norscan factions and even fucking N'Kari is attacking me (he has land in Bretonnia). Never seen something like this before. I started doing the usual clockwise tour along the Empire but when I looked back Kemmler had half a dozen stacks bulldozing Marienburg and Middenland. I had to go push him back and at this point everything went to hell. Great fun.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
OT:

Total War: Star Wars reportedly in development at Creative Assembly

The crossover we're looking for.

Screenshot of Star Wars Empire Strikes Back showing AT-AT walker vehicles shooting lasers over snowy planet Image credit: Lucasfilm

Ed Nightingale avatar

News by Ed Nightingale Deputy News Editor

Published on 17 May 2024

11 comments

Creative Assembly is reportedly working on three new Total War games, including an officially licensed Star Wars game.

The news comes from DualShockers, which has reported as of October 2023 Total War: Star Wars was one of three games in development at the studio.

The studio's most recent game was Total War: Pharaoh, but a Star Wars game would see it return to the more fantastical settings of Total War: Warhammer and (to an extent) Total War: Three Kingdoms.

The report from DualShockers does not provide further detail on Total War: Star Wars, nor does it name the other two in development. As such, it's impossible to know how far along in development the game is.

Still, with Creative Assembly releasing new games almost annually, perhaps an announcement for its 2024 slate is due soon.

Until then, the studio is working on a free update to Total War: Pharaoh, which will rework the campaign to expand its map and add new playable factions.

Before this, the studio apologised for missteps with the series and offered refunds on Pharaoh after its poor reception from players due to high price and lack of content.

This, alongside the high profile cancellation of loot shooter Hyenas last year, suggests a tricky time for the studio. The studio will now refocus on strategy games, adding further credence to reports of these three new Total War games. A Star Wars version would certainly help turn around the studio's fortunes.

It was bound to happen. But CA hasn't made a good TW game since Shogun 2, so fuck them. I'm more curious about the RTS from Bitreactor.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Damn, I'm really hoping they are actually dumb fabulously optimistic enough to try tackling 40k and/or SW with their clowncar of an engine. The results will be absolutely hilarious.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Taking into account they are 99% also doing WH40k, I doubt they are making 2 space-themed TW at the same time. It's fake news, imo.

Last edited:

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Have Star Wars games been succesfull after the disney trilogy? That shit definitely brought the value of the IP down, but I don't know by how much.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Have Star Wars games been succesfull after the disney trilogy? That shit definitely brought the value of the IP down, but I don't know by how much.
Jedi: Fallen Order and Survivor aren't bad actually (Survivor is awfully optimized, though, but it's a good game otherwise). But like I said, I very much doubt CA are developing a Star Wars Total War. It will surprise me greatly if it turns out to be true.

Hydro

Educated
Well SW has some huge amount of source material elaborating on every aspect of the universe thanks to its golden years, which will require as minimum as possible input from CA — a big plus imo. On the other hand during the last decade franchise has devolved into something utterly hideous. Guess I could be somewhat interested should it lean towards something tonally serious. Curious, but don’t keep my hopes high.

I fail to see how TW SW could be such a DLC treadmill. It has two factions, empire and rebels. If you do new shit SW it still has two factions just with less characters people like. If you do old republic star wars it has two factions. If you do prequel SW it has two factions. How much DLC can you sell with any of these time periods? Do they really think people will buy a whole DLC just to add Chewbacca to the game or something? At least with Warhammer and 40k you have dozens of different factions/races to churn out content for. Maybe if you really stretch the bounds of lore and logic you can include some extra factions like other SW games have but I still don't see how its anywhere near as good as TW with this.

I also dread to imagine how bad space combat will be, whether it comes in 40k or SW. The last time CA tried to do something new we got WH3 sieges.

9ted6

Educated
Leaky leaky
jqumjknj771d1.jpeg
So they'll make a new engine for World War I combat where you can almost sort of justify infantry fighting in line formations but they'll use the same engine for 40k and Star Wars where line formation battles make no sense? And remember that all of this is after they sank a ton of money into Hyenas which was in every sense of the word wasted.

I can see Creative going the way of Telltale, taking on too many projects and spreading their money too thin on mediocre at best titles that only cost them more and more. After Telltale went bankrupt it was found out that ever since The Walking Dead Part 1 their only other game to make a real profit was the fucking Minecraft one. Same thing will happen for Creative Assembly and Warhammer.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
What will even be Total War Star Wars be? How many factions with full-fledged army do we even have in Star Wars? We have several decent RTS I guess, but like what will the DLC be? Wookies armies?

What will even be Total War Star Wars be? How many factions with full-fledged army do we even have in Star Wars? We have several decent RTS I guess, but like what will the DLC be? Wookies armies?
Start in Galactic Civil War era base game. Sell a few unit packs like Shogun 2 from EU content that Disney will cannibalize.

FoTS larger campaign dlc: Old Republic, or Clone Wars.

RoTS smaller campaign dlc: New Republic.

Faction DLC: Hutt Cartel vs a copied Tyber Zann from Empire at war. Could try Yuzhan Vong but Disney probably won't allow it.

It will be lame but that's the story of CA for the past 4-5 years.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
It is a magnificent dlc milk potential with a million-strong army of retarded fans who casually buy jabba and wookie dildos
ulrxml4hy61d1.png

Tyrr

Liturgist
CA seems to be out of touch again, like with their canceled tranny shooter. A "huge audience" for Star Wars? Not anymore.
Disney fucked it up. The new movies and shows didn't generate new, younger fans (just look at the toy sales for all the new characters) and they also drove away the old fans by killing and disrespecting the old characters and lore.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Also, the golden age of Star Wars is no longer canon and can't be used by official licensed products, so they really don't have enough material to work with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom