Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Totally Not Corrupt Professional Objective Gaming Journalism DRAMA

waywardOne

Arcane
But I'm confused. Were they reviewing the pizza or the actual game?
Both are full of empty calories that will quickly be shit out of you in a disgusting brown stream.

Dexter

Arcane
4 out of 5 keighleys.
geoffheadsmcoo4i.png
geoffheadsmcoo4i.png
geoffheadsmcoo4i.png
geoffheadsmcoo4i.png
geoffheadsmbw4iqva.png

You also forgot this from the other thread:

RPGMaster

Savant
:hmmm:

You sure it's not its son or something?
I like how you use "its" instead of "his" or "her", like "it" is some monstrous alien entity that one can't relate with... which is pretty close to the truth.:troll:

It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until gameplay is dead.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Update: Added Brad Shoemaker 1-2, Pocketgamer, Brad Lawrence, Stephen Totilo 20

Current articles/videos/podcasts
Wings over Sealand (Stuart Campbell) articles (second article has early summary) 1 2 3
John Walker's (Rock Paper Shotgun) blog (start with Games Journalists, And The Perception Of Corruption, includes guest post by Rab Florence)
TotalBiscuit
Jim Sterling
Penny-Arcade 1 2
Gamasutra
Forbes
Worthplaying
GiantBomb
Jason Lauritzen editorial and GAF post
RPGCodex writes an excellent summary
Destructoid
BoingBoing
TheSixthAxis
EDGE article that was written a few weeks ago
PlayerOne Podcast
Eurogamer's Tom Bramwell (editor who edited Rab's column) about the last few days
Rock Paper Shotgun official stance
The Guardian and a funny thing related to the article
Giant Bombcast
VG247 on their new ethics statement
Video Games Interactive
Kotaku
Pocketgamer
Videogamer.com

Old (but still relevant) articles/videos/podcasts
Rab Florence (the guy who started all this) criticizing games writing since 2008
An old episode of CGW Radio discussing Gerstmann-gate
Old Gamasutra article on the influence of PR
Old GFW radio bits
1up YoursShawn Elliot and Shane Bettenhausen

Comments from the industry
Shawn Elliot - 1 (aegies is Arthur Gies of polygon.com) 2 3 4 5 6 on the psychology of PR etc
and some more Arthur Gies - 1 2 3 4 5 and some replies 1 2 3
Jeff Green on the way it actually works, and another post, an another
ShockingAlberto on his view as a former games writer
Jason Schreier (Kotaku) - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 and many more
N'Gai Croal initial reaction on Twitter
Chris Schilling (freelance) likes both people involved and so doesn't want to write about it
Danny O'Dwyer (Gamespot UK) on why his site won't cover this (audience is not interested) - 1 2 3
pastapadre on being shunned by the industry
Stephen Totilo (Kotaku) doesn't think this is an important story (has changed his mind about that part, read post 9). Wants to focus on good games journalism, this prompted a pretty funny picture and a comment about it, then Stephen Totilo enters the thread 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 (ignore the comment on 18, couldn't find a direct link to Totilo's comment) 19 20 (in reply to this
Weekend Confirmed 1 2 3
Syriel on his experiences of PR
Jeff Gerstmann short comment on swag
Christian Donlan and Simon Parkin of Eurogamer want to change how they do things[/QUOTE]
Nert on his experience as PR in the tech industry 1 2
John Walker (RPS) on why the site won't cover it (they did anyway) like his blog did
Rab Florence tweets
Jeff Gerstmann 1 (1 is from Tumblr) 2 (2 via EternalGamer, highlights some other stuff) 3 4 5 (3-5 are comments by Jeff in this thread)
Christian Spicer
MaxwellGT2000 talks about his experiences as a writer for a small site that got bigger
Dave Long 1 2
Brad Shoemaker 1 (in reply to this) 2
Brad Lawrence (2K games UK PR)

Comments from others
GillianSeed79 and firehawk12 on how journalist do criticize their peers
voodoopanda highlights that the issue is not in any way black or white
Snowden's Secret comments on gaming press reactions
Zissou weighs in

Other relevant/interesting links and examples of PR
Examples of various press kits
The 3DS comes to GiantBomb
Letter sent to reviewers from UbiSoft along with their press copy of Assassin's Creed 3
How Rockstar handled the reviews for GTA4
Battlefield 3 review questionnarie

Related links from the BRO at neoGAF for those that want more info.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I was far more aroused by the video of Chris Roberts demoing Star Citizen than any of the womenflesh on display in that manipulative corporate logo-fest.

All of this sponsorship tie-in shit is so cheap and so very, very cheesy... fucking disgusting. Usually I completely ignore the world of corporo-frat popamole entirely, but "Dewritosgate" has brought it to the forefront and I can't help gawking.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
His face isn't emotionally dead enough nor his eyes soulless enough to fully convince me, so I'll have to deduct a point or two.

Machocruz

Arcane

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
slow-mo-bro wrote on Krupa-IGN's wall
"Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, for giving Most Wanted a good review I'm so glad. How do I become a game reviewer I would love to be one, I live in the U.S."

I'm pretty sure this fellow is already on the fast track to becoming a game reviewer. His sycophantic approach to reviewing games and complete lack of credentials in actual journalism or game development are very promising.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I play shit games and like them just to spite reviewers.

Update: Added Brad Shoemaker 1-2, Pocketgamer, Brad Lawrence, Stephen Totilo 20

Current articles/videos/podcasts
Wings over Sealand (Stuart Campbell) articles (second article has early summary) 1 2 3
John Walker's (Rock Paper Shotgun) blog (start with Games Journalists, And The Perception Of Corruption, includes guest post by Rab Florence)
TotalBiscuit
Jim Sterling
Penny-Arcade 1 2
Gamasutra
Forbes
Worthplaying
GiantBomb
Jason Lauritzen editorial and GAF post
RPGCodex writes an excellent summary
Destructoid
BoingBoing
TheSixthAxis
EDGE article that was written a few weeks ago
PlayerOne Podcast
Eurogamer's Tom Bramwell (editor who edited Rab's column) about the last few days
Rock Paper Shotgun official stance
The Guardian and a funny thing related to the article
Giant Bombcast
VG247 on their new ethics statement
Video Games Interactive
Kotaku
Pocketgamer
Videogamer.com

Old (but still relevant) articles/videos/podcasts
Rab Florence (the guy who started all this) criticizing games writing since 2008
An old episode of CGW Radio discussing Gerstmann-gate
Old Gamasutra article on the influence of PR
Old GFW radio bits
1up YoursShawn Elliot and Shane Bettenhausen

Comments from the industry
Shawn Elliot - 1 (aegies is Arthur Gies of polygon.com) 2 3 4 5 6 on the psychology of PR etc
and some more Arthur Gies - 1 2 3 4 5 and some replies 1 2 3
Jeff Green on the way it actually works, and another post, an another
ShockingAlberto on his view as a former games writer
Jason Schreier (Kotaku) - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 and many more
N'Gai Croal initial reaction on Twitter
Chris Schilling (freelance) likes both people involved and so doesn't want to write about it
Danny O'Dwyer (Gamespot UK) on why his site won't cover this (audience is not interested) - 1 2 3
pastapadre on being shunned by the industry
Stephen Totilo (Kotaku) doesn't think this is an important story (has changed his mind about that part, read post 9). Wants to focus on good games journalism, this prompted a pretty funny picture and a comment about it, then Stephen Totilo enters the thread 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 (ignore the comment on 18, couldn't find a direct link to Totilo's comment) 19 20 (in reply to this
Weekend Confirmed 1 2 3
Syriel on his experiences of PR
Jeff Gerstmann short comment on swag
Christian Donlan and Simon Parkin of Eurogamer want to change how they do things
Nert on his experience as PR in the tech industry 1 2
John Walker (RPS) on why the site won't cover it (they did anyway) like his blog did
Rab Florence tweets
Jeff Gerstmann 1 (1 is from Tumblr) 2 (2 via EternalGamer, highlights some other stuff) 3 4 5 (3-5 are comments by Jeff in this thread)
Christian Spicer
MaxwellGT2000 talks about his experiences as a writer for a small site that got bigger
Dave Long 1 2
Brad Shoemaker 1 (in reply to this) 2
Brad Lawrence (2K games UK PR)

Comments from others
GillianSeed79 and firehawk12 on how journalist do criticize their peers
voodoopanda highlights that the issue is not in any way black or white
Snowden's Secret comments on gaming press reactions
Zissou weighs in

Other relevant/interesting links and examples of PR
Examples of various press kits
The 3DS comes to GiantBomb
Letter sent to reviewers from UbiSoft along with their press copy of Assassin's Creed 3
How Rockstar handled the reviews for GTA4
Battlefield 3 review questionnarie

Related links from the BRO at neoGAF for those that want more info.

This is way too long. Can we have it summarized through some score of how fucking retarded things are, say, on a scale of 9-10?

Dexter

Arcane
LOL, I thought this was some kind of joke previously, but it's apparently real:

They apparently sent that pack to lots of "game journalists":
A6Zrlq6CUAADUnY.jpg
proxyuqk5p.jpg

Oh yeah, and apparently this is the first article on the matter "not written by a fucking idiot": http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/PocketGamer.biz/feature.asp?c=46231

At least according to some PR people:
yF9NB.jpg

Ben Lawrence, 2K Games UK PR Manager

https://twitter.com/TheMoop/status/263268293106876416
"People made homeless by Hurricane Sandy send their condolences to all those affected by this latest, terrible, heart-rending games scandal."

https://twitter.com/TheMoop/status/261130838941519872
"Hungry for a bag of Doritos and a cool glass of refreshing Mountain Dew. In other news - The British Legion Poppy Appeal was launched today."

https://twitter.com/TheMoop/status/261131595111612416
"Such a small pond of squabbling guppies. Reality check people - NO ONE in the wider world gives a flying **** about games 'scandals'. xxx"

https://twitter.com/TheMoop/status/262886285570605057
"Totally ****ing entering this, it sounds ****ing brilliant! pic.twitter.com/T2p1MXOi"

l25joelcomment_medium.jpg

Turjan

Arcane
You know the end is nigh when reality surpasses satire and nearly everyone thinks it's okay.

Vendigroth

Educated
You know the end is nigh when reality surpasses satire and nearly everyone thinks it's okay.
The average gamer won't care as long as their favroite Final Fantasy and Elder Scroll games are listed atop the "Best RPG's evar" articles. Affirmation by corruption, target your audience with your review scores rather than the other way around.

I dunno, I think a bag of doritos might satisfy me more than most AAA games. Probably more deserving of a youtube video, at least.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
One thing that boggles my fucking mind is that you see gamers talking about how much of an "epidemic" this issue with games journalism is, but then as soon as they say it they go right back to being dumb, ignorant fools again. Deciding if a review of a game is valid even though I haven't played it yet, not to mention the review came out early and therefore its honesty is suspect? Check. Refusing to engage in any sort of critical discussion and simply fellate publishers and developers constantly while getting off on scraps of hype tossed your way by the marketing department? Check. Being completely ignorant of the history of the medium and making grossly inaccurate statements, then becoming defensive when someone points out how wrong they are? Check.

All I can tell is that people want to have opinions but not have to think. Why the fuck even bother having a non-corrupt "games journalism" field when there's barely even an audience for such a thing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom