Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Totally Not Corrupt Professional Objective Gaming Journalism DRAMA

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
^ Liked that post so much i brofisted 60 times (sorry, stuck enter key)

Kitako

Arcane

Kukulkan

Learned
It's shit like this that makes the Codex quite possibly the only site I trust in determining a good recently or passed released game is.

Vendigroth

Educated
It's shit like this that makes the Codex quite possibly the only site I trust in determining a good recently or passed released game is.
Recent? It's shit.
Older? It's shit, unless it involves rat diplomacy.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
xwU3e.gif
Fuckin' yeah ! Thanks Vendigroth !:love:

Kukulkan

Learned
Recent? It's shit.
This a typical codex stereotype. That the Codex hates every game ever made is a myth. Plenty of people here like the Goldbox games, the Infinity Engine games, Troika's catalog, and let's not even got started on strategy or adventure games. Even recently you saw a lot of fapping to Dark Souls. The poster Skyway that helps perpetuate this stereotype approves of games like ArmA and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. Heck there's a few posters that like nearly universally despised games like DA2.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
Recent? It's shit.
This a typical codex stereotype. That the Codex hates every game ever made is a myth. Plenty of people here like the Goldbox games, the Infinity Engine games, Troika's catalog, and let's not even got started on strategy or adventure games. Even recently you saw a lot of fapping to Dark Souls. The poster Skyway that helps perpetuate this stereotype approves of games like ArmA and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. Heck there's a few posters that like nearly universally despised games like DA2.

Let's not forget the terrible sin of voting DA for best RPG of 2009 over KotC.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
Recent? It's shit.

Let's not forget the terrible sin of voting DA for best RPG of 2009 over KotC.

:what:

H...how can that be?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

There is also a wide gap between "flawed thing I will complain about to intelligent like-minded people" and "thing I hated and stopped playing immediately."

Dragon Age 2 was a deeply flawed game I bitch about a lot but I finished it and played through half of it over again on a harder difficulty mode. I certainly understand why Skyrim is a lesser RPG and game than Morrowind was but I still put 200 hours into it. Where the line between Codex refined opinion and attempt to incline ends and pure hate for worthless bullshit begins varies from one poster to another.

Gerrard

Arcane
Who's the retard, I wonder.
eQMSA.png

78iPW.png

If you're bored of shitty games, don't review them!

Machocruz

Arcane
Ebert is bored with superhero movies. That means he shouldn't review them, because then movies like The Dark Knight and Spiderman 2 would get a low score. he gave them 4 stars

Because he's totally biased against the genre, amirite?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Numeric grading scales are a complex issue. A game isn't quite the same as a scholastic test with 100 straightforward wrong-or-right questions, wherein the student's grade directly reflects how many questions they answered correctly. In principle, games are much more often graded on a Bell curve: The top 10% receive As, the next 20% receive Bs, and the remaining 70% receive Cs... unless they're especially bad, in which case they receive Ds or even Fs. Popamole gaming "journalism" does adhere to this system, at least superficially.

I'm not defending commercial game reviewers, though. When you look at their review score histories, it's obvious that far more than 10% of AAA titles are receiving 4.5/9/90/90% or more (equivalent to an A on a Bell curve), and that far, far more than 20% are receiving scores of 4/8/80/80% or more (equivalent to a B on a Bell curve). The vast majority score As or Bs, with only a few scoring Cs and a tiny number scoring Ds or Fs (reserved for complete disasters).

It's obvious that they're skewing the scores, it's obvious why they're skewing scores, and personally I believe it's already come back to bite them in the ass. They're crowding reviews scores into the high end, but their readers are adjusting to compensate, although they (readers and "journalists" both) may not realize it. According to some research I've read about lately (which you ought to consider hearsay since I can't find it at the moment), games scoring in the 90%+ range sell 3x as many copies as games scoring in the 80%+ range. Games that score less than 80% will be flops.

The overabundance of 90% and 80% scores floating around make it blatantly obvious that they're biased and that they're skewing review scores toward the high end. Even the average Joe is beginning to take notice, and in addition, any game that scores below a 9+ is treated as average.

I like how the game "deserves" an 80. Meanwhile when games like DA2 deserve a 2/10 and get a 10/10 it's the reviewer's opinion and you just have to respect that. Trying to browbeat them into altering their score would be compromising their journalistic integrity or something.

How good are the Halos just for reference? I've only played the PC release of the original and IMO is was a pretty decent game. For all of the shit regenerating health/shield mechanics get it was one game that actually used it well.

Machocruz

Arcane
Wow. George Brotard may be a brotard, but that EGMNow Halo review is an abomination. Complaining that it doesn't have the "advances" of modern shooters...like linear maps, scripted events, iron sights (on sci fi space guns, lmao).

Can some one tell me what is so advanced about modern FPS? I don't know. The level and encounter design in Black Mesa, a remake of an old game, seems like it was made by a super intelligent, advanced alien race compared to CoDpiece.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Georgie isn't wrong when he says the industry sees a 70 as shit. Whether that is right or not is of course another question, but he's right about the perception.

All numbers at the end of reviews are stupid anyway.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
These low points are openly exacerbated by the series’ staunch refusal to get with the times when it comes to game mechanics and level design, ignoring obvious enhancements like big-ticket sequences and proper iron-sights mechanics in favor of their age-old addiction to slow, methodical combat in unnecessarily large environments.

Halo 4 got 7.0 (BAD score) because it's not awesome popamole enough?

:hmmm:

It didn't offer enough emotional engagement.

Are all twitter discussions the online equivalent of a cripple fight?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Holy fuck he wasn't kidding: http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-halo-4/

These low points are openly exacerbated by the series’ staunch refusal to get with the times when it comes to game mechanics and level design, ignoring obvious enhancements like big-ticket sequences and proper iron-sights mechanics in favor of their age-old addiction to slow, methodical combat in unnecessarily large environments.

:retarded:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom