Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Totally Not Corrupt Professional Objective Gaming Journalism DRAMA

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
At this point they're desperate to scrounge up any form of praise. They probably think that if enough reviews give them more than 90%, Capcom will magically look over the fact that the game's shipped less than half the amount of copies than the game that was apparently so stale that a series reboot was in order and not kick them to the curb.
It may've ended that way with Sony and Namco, but third time's the charm!

Jashiin

Arcane
Their demographic are the clueless young masses who aren't savvy enough yet to see through the marketing bs and still think the journo's are on their side. Fortunately for these shitty companies, this demograpic is constantly replenished with new clueless youths. All that matters is the return of investment.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Metacritic user score 4.3
Those are all 4chan haters. Keep up, man!

1357519521132.jpg

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
This really begs the question, why are games journalists so outright hostile towards disappointed fans? First you've got VG247 telling people they should be ashamed of not liking the new game, then you've got MCV telling them they destroyed the brand out of spite, now GameRevolution is shitting on them as well?

How can this be anything other than NinjaTheory buying these reviewers? Shitting on the very people who read your publication is NOT normal.

I think its two things. First journalists of this type want to think of themselves as savvy, in the sense of being more knowledgeable and insightful than their readership (which is not confined to game journalists alone).

Second, due to circumstances discussed in grotsnik's legendary Doritos post, they end up strongly identifying with the industry part of the games industry. (Protip: consumers are not part of an industry. Journalists are, but shouldn't be).

The nasty trick is that these journalists are angry at the fans, but they subconsciously prefer it when the fans show their ignorance; it gives them the opportunity to validate their ego by demonstrating their superior understanding.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This really begs the question, why are games journalists so outright hostile towards disappointed fans? First you've got VG247 telling people they should be ashamed of not liking the new game, then you've got MCV telling them they destroyed the brand out of spite, now GameRevolution is shitting on them as well?

How can this be anything other than NinjaTheory buying these reviewers? Shitting on the very people who read your publication is NOT normal.

MCV is actually a "trade magazine" aimed at retailers and industry insiders, so they don't give a fuck about the fans/consumers.

Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
^That's bad in a different way. MCV is doing a disservice to their industry readers by giving them this kind ego-stroking instead of actual analysis of why fan's didn't like the game. "Shh, Shh, it wasn't you, it was those mean fans who just don't understand. Oh Ninja Theory, this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you!"

it's the new marketing: being unable to prove they're right now they try to tell you're wrong.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I am not sure which is worse: That this is true, or that this is false.
1357519521132.jpg

Happy to see that no genuine codexer failed to brofist this post.

Genuine codexer = The intelligent, thoughtful posters who get all the (girls/trannies/men) and actually read and understand this well-made post. Those who don't brofist are try-hard oldfags who need to get used to what the Codex is really about and stop destroying it for their own fun.

Gerrard

Arcane
And sometimes people make up retarded theories when their minds cannot accept the reality.

I know this all too well. I make up theories trying to convince myself that so many people can't possibly be that fucking stupid.

waywardOne

Arcane
Their demographic are the clueless young masses who aren't savvy enough yet to see through the marketing bs and still think the journo's are on their side. Fortunately for these shitty companies, this demograpic is constantly replenished with new clueless youths. All that matters is the return of investment.
Games Workshop has been using this strategy for 15+ years.

MisterStone

Arcane
Someone should collect all the articles from some of these Kotaku threads and make one juicy big image summary full of the stupidest things human beings have ever written:
http://archive.foolz.us/v/thread/172717780
Mang, you just gave me an idea of what to do with my kotaku folder.

<teh horror!>

You're welcome.

Dear god. I mean. I mean, I was sort of aware that the site existed before, I knew it probably sucked because of the kind of things it reviewed, but I had no idea exactly how bad it was...

:rage:

Modron

Arcane
Raw posts long, thoughtful, and in-depth discussion prompts for threads

: x

Way to validate his sarcasm, although now that I think about it he probably took your page long response and pasted an emoticon over it.

Pain.jpg

You're welcome.

You know what is funny, I have seen all of those before but I still could not make it through more than half the headlines in one sitting.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I made the mistake of reading them closely. His argument for why Diablo 3's online is a good feature is that you can't load old saves... which you couldn't do in Diablo 2.

:balance:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
diablo with save game would just make the whole gameplay even more retardo anyway.

Dexter

Arcane
Someone should collect all the articles from some of these Kotaku threads and make one juicy big image summary full of the stupidest things human beings have ever written:
http://archive.foolz.us/v/thread/172717780

<snip>

You're welcome.
Good effort, but the levels of stupidity don't seem high enough yet to truly represent what that site produces, there's collages of single writers from there that could do that, like this one I found and posted before:

kotaku-patriciahernan8wzh4.jpg

Also the Ben Kuchera guy did another article: http://penny-arcade.com/report/edit...-why-its-time-to-stop-hating-furries-and-larp

Xavier0889

Learned
There are people who are seriously overthinking games like Catherine or Lollipop Chainsaw?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom