Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Totally Not Corrupt Professional Objective Gaming Journalism DRAMA

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Also, this fucking shit has been going for 20 years, it's not something what started to appear in the 2000s. There was a game released in 1992 or 1993 called Legends of Valour which was just utterly disgraced (gave it 20/100 or something like that) in the Pelit-magazine by Niko Nirvi, who then wrote in his column or in the review that game has gotten raving reviews in the english press...and what did he find in the game? The headshots of the english gaming magazines editors and editors-in-chief as shopkeepers and what not.

Pelit-magazine was great for it's first six years (from 1992 to 1998), they couple times basicly trashed some english and american gaming magazines for doing shitty reviews and previews of games, and gave some great examples like one english magazine had 3-4 page review of some game which was clearly written based on what the press-releases etc from the publisher/developer had said because the competition to get first review out was so brutal in england.

Nirvi also more and less subtly trashed their finnish competitor Pelaaja (The Gamer)-magazine for doing exclusive review on Pro Evolution Soccer, and if my memory serves me correctly, he trashed them for selling out :D

They also trashed english and american magazines for doing 2-3 pages long previews of the games and sucking on the publisher. Unfortunately Pelit-magazine started doing basicly the same some years ago, maybe out of necessity but there are still some bright spots, although their reviews are nowdays much more clearly done like the publishers wants, for example their review of Skyrim (both XBrick 360 and PC) didn't basicly mention bugs at all in the release version even though the game was just utterly riddled with the bugs but they mentioned in Fallout: New Vegas review how buggy the game was, and called it as a flaw of the game...funny how much difference the actual developer does.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
I forgot that I am on the codex.

Well only the fact that he didn't review NV is really damning. He ever said why? Kinda weird if he liked FO3 so much.

And Pelit used to be cool before they added console games. Lost my subscription right then and there. :obviously:

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
Just because the press has been a festering cesspool of circle jerkers sucking on the cock of any dev who throws them a bone for the past 30 years does not mean that it can't evolve. There is a lot more accountability in the age of social networking so I imagine a lot more reviewers will be called out on their BS. Then again, angry fans have caused many sites to pull low scoring reviews (FO: NV had that happen) so it can go both ways. Who am I kidding. It will always be a clusterfuck, just like movie and book reviews.

waywardOne

Arcane
UK libel laws are an embarassment to civilization.

Fuck you, "great" britain.

V8wxW.jpg

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Oh look. a 9.5 out of 10 review, by a Journalist with absolutely no way shape or form of bias. Shocking!

GeorgeWood

Educated
I have seen that none of the kiddies here has any knowledge on how the game industry works. Sure, instead of Mr. Keighl you probably see Sauron or Darth Vader sitting on a mountain of Dorito's, but you sure need to consider that Mr. Keighl has helped to make AAA-type experience games relevant to modern audience, and he is helping to make video game as a more popular entertainment experience. Sure, some thing's I do not like also, but we are only nitpicking, when instead, we should be helping poor Mr. Keighl to make video game audience as wide as possible.

Don't be haters, please. We need sponsors to survive in this harsh industry and to keep thriving. And especially we will need them when new PS4 and XBOX720 will come out, because of higher costs of video game development. Developers need to make new graphics computers, like they did for Donkey Kong Country, and video game development tools, because we are risking at stagnation if it is not going to happen.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
You know the sad thing? Despite a writer getting fired for an article that's caused quite a shitstorm for actually saying the truth. and is still on the main page Eurogamer hasn't made a single comment. I mean, talk about integrity. Ofcourse none of the other big gaming sites have made a single article about this. Not on PCgamer, Destructoid, Gamespot or Kotaku. Nothing's going to change.

waywardOne

Arcane
I think we're beyond merely "risking" stagnation.

How about you go fuck yourself?

(I didn't know India had a place called Maryland.)

LundB

Mistakes were made.
God these idiots can't even do favor trading properly. Their damage control skills are also nonexistent. It's like watching a bunch of retarded children play pretend at what you do, just pitiful.

doritos.png

Wow what a disgusting image. They've wasted all that glorious potential revenue-generating space in the top right!

Angthoron

Arcane
You know the sad thing? Despite a writer getting fired for an article that's caused quite a shitstorm for actually saying the truth. and is still on the main page Eurogamer hasn't made a single comment. I mean, talk about integrity. Ofcourse none of the other big gaming sites have made a single article about this. Not on PCgamer, Destructoid, Gamespot or Kotaku. Nothing's going to change.
What do you expect them to say, that they've been taking bribes for years, and that their colleagues and friends have been taking bribes for years? That Important People have been shoving millions of dollars in their faces and they never, not a single time said no? That they couldn't give as shit about their audience? Of course they're sitting there quiet because not only have they forgotten what integrity fucking means, they wouldn't be able to exercise it even if they took a dictionary and a crash course on it - they're corrupt through and through.

Obviously the media will generate a lot of white noise now, block out the threats, make people forget. That's the way of the fabled information freedom of "Web 2.0" - generate enough useless side-info regarding the event and nobody will fucking remember anything happened the next day. Obviously there'll be metric tons of spam, "jokes", "witty comments" and sidetracks now. This is pretty much how you shut things up these days, un"trend" them.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
There is that Jim shitbag Sterling piece on gamefront. Dont know if he posted over Destructoid

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What do you expect them to say, that they've been taking bribes for years, and that their colleagues and friends have been taking bribes for years? That Important People have been shoving millions of dollars in their faces and they never, not a single time said no? That they couldn't give as shit about their audience? Of course they're sitting there quiet because not only have they forgotten what integrity fucking means, they wouldn't be able to exercise it even if they took a dictionary and a crash course on it - they're corrupt through and through.

Obviously the media will generate a lot of white noise now, block out the threats, make people forget. That's the way of the fabled information freedom of "Web 2.0" - generate enough useless side-info regarding the event and nobody will fucking remember anything happened the next day. Obviously there'll be metric tons of spam, "jokes", "witty comments" and sidetracks now. This is pretty much how you shut things up these days, un"trend" them.
Someone should spike the punch on the next GMAs with a truth serum.
"And the best game of the year goes to Halo 4, because they have a sponsorship deal with Doritos and so do we!"

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"And the best game of the year goes to Halo 4, because they have a sponsorship deal with Doritos and so do we!"
The really sad truth is that's probably not how these things are decided.

It's more like goty goes to Halo 4 because that's what our mouth breathing audience expects us to say.

Angthoron

Arcane
The really sad truth is that's probably not how these things are decided.

It's more like goty goes to Halo 4 because that's what our mouth breathing audience expects us to say.
It's both.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Recap of resouces from neoGAF:

Articles/videos
Wings over Sealand articles (second article has summary) 1 2
Rab Florence (the guy who started all this) criticizing games writing since 2008
John Walker's (Rock Paper Shotgun) blog (start with Games Journalists, And The Perception Of Corruption)
TotalBiscuit
Jim Sterling
Penny-Arcade
Gamasutra
Forbes
Worthplaying
GiantBomb

Other links
Shawn Elliot - 1 (aegies is Arthur Gies of polygon.com) 2 3 4 5 on the psychology of PR etc
and some more Arthur Gies - 1 2 3 4 5 and some replies 1 2 3
Jeff Green on the way it actually works
ShockingAlberto on his view as a former games writer
Jason Schreier (Kotaku) - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
N'Gai Croal initial reaction on Twitter
Chris Schilling (freelance) likes both people involved and so doesn't want to write about it
Danny O'Dwyer (Gamespot UK) on why his site won't cover this (audience is not interested) - 1 2 3
Examples of various press kits
The 3DS comes to GiantBomb
GillianSeed79 and firehawk12 on how journalist do criticize their peers
pastapadre on being shunned by the industry
An old episode of CGW Radio discussing Gerstmann-gate

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom