Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Totally Not Corrupt Professional Objective Gaming Journalism DRAMA

Dexter

Arcane
Angry Joe is actually one of the better game reviewers I have seen. He admits his bias and tries to explain his rationale thoroughly to allow viewers to understand what exactly works and is broken in those games. I think he has some poor tastes, but that is because he came from console gaming and not because of any dislike for complex ones.

Regardless of my taste for games he seems to like the most and for things that make games great for him as well as those that put him off games, I think objectively one has to admit he puts lots of effort into his reviews. He really does play through the games he reviews.
Also, there's some obvious honesty going on and i respect that. One more thing that i like about his work is that he's neither malicious nor too benevolent a priori, when he approaches any game.

The thing that I subjectively don't like and that isn't satisfying for me is that he's obviously quite a bit of a nextgenfag and consolefag. He also focuses on new AAA titles, which generally don't interest me.

But all in all, I'm not ashamed to say I like his stuff. Yes, he's not "hardcore", he's not "oldschool", he's not even very knowledgeable when it comes to classic games, but what he does - he does well.

He's a fucking retard, go to about 11 minutes in for full retardation:

Deleted member 7219

Besides his opinions, there's one thing about Angry Joe that irks me. It is the way he looks off camera every few seconds. Look at what he does at 11:00 and the next few seconds. It is a quirk he does repeatedly. Is there some screen we can't see which is showing him what is being filmed? It is a minor thing but it is in every video of his.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
All that retard Joe guy does is a "show". I watched one thing from him and thought he was a complete idiot. If you are going there for objective journalistic integrity you would have to be the biggest dumbfuck on the planet.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I don't think it's a pretty important story. I think it's the same tired nonsense about games journalism that some folks love to carry on endlessly about. If we had more clear facts about whether one journalism outlet or journalist really threatened to sue another and if that other outlet buckled under that needlessly, then maybe we'd have a small story. But that would take reporting to find it out, and I just don't care enough about the latest supposed media scandal to ask my reporters to look into it.

You know what's important? Doing good games journalism, which is what we did this week and highlights in this list above.

On why Kotaku is not doing a story on it. Read. And then read it again.

Ermm

Erudite
All that retard Joe guy does is a "show". I watched one thing from him and thought he was a complete idiot. If you are going there for objective journalistic integrity you would have to be the biggest dumbfuck on the planet.

He should've said ''FFXIV was released this year you dumb moron'' just to show Keighley's incompetence as a games journalist. Instead he just licked his boots.

Machocruz

Arcane
I don't know why Giant Bomb is held in such high regard. I took a look at a bit of their review record, and they give the same predictable scores to the same predictable games all the other mainstream sites do. Diablo 3 is a 5 star game? That's the first I'm hearing.

And in their Quick Look videos, they scoff at anything they don't understand. No, they are pretty par for the course in the world of game journa- HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh man.

Multi-headed Cow

I don't think it's a pretty important story. I think it's the same tired nonsense about games journalism that some folks love to carry on endlessly about. If we had more clear facts about whether one journalism outlet or journalist really threatened to sue another and if that other outlet buckled under that needlessly, then maybe we'd have a small story. But that would take reporting to find it out, and I just don't care enough about the latest supposed media scandal to ask my reporters to look into it.

You know what's important? Doing good games journalism, which is what we did this week and highlights in this list above.

On why Kotaku is not doing a story on it. Read. And then read it again.
It's... It's beautiful.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I don't know why Giant Bomb is held in such high regard. I took a look at a bit of their review record, and they give the same predictable scores to the same predictable games all the other mainstream sites do. Diablo 3 is a 5 star game? That's the first I'm hearing.

And in their Quick Look videos, they scoff at anything they don't understand. No, they are pretty par for the course in the world of game journa- HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh man.
Mostly because they are funny and entertaining guys (well depends on what your tastes are) and they show lots of good, solid gameplay footage in its "raw" state.

You also sort of have to get to know the different people who work there. Brad is a sucker for anything Blizzard and tends to vastly overstate the quality of stuff he is hyped about. Jeff is probably the most "fair" in the sense that he doesn't really get excited about anything any more and tends to give the lowest scores on average. Vinny is... well, I can't actually recall the last time Vinny wrote any reviews, but he tends to be more into traditional PC games than the others. Patrick is an insufferable moron, weeaboo and indie-fag, most of the time, though that also means he tends to dislike a lot of the Western triple-A crap. Ryan sucks at games and is annoying.

Compared to most other sites, they give much lower scores and more often... 3/5 and 2/5 are pretty common even on fairly big games. The written text also does tend to be fairly well balanced, without being overly nitpicky, but I get the sense the star system they used means a lot of stuff is rounded up. Ultimately they are marketers and entertainers, however, I do think they do a much better job of it and have more integrity and honesty than most of the other sites out there. As far as the mainstream sites go they are the best one by far.

Also, Angry Joe has decent in-depth and well-justified reviews for a console tard, however I find his persona fucking irritating and can't watch his videos more than about 30 seconds before wanting to hollow my skull out with a router. Spoony is still by far the most bro-worthy (and generally hilarious) Internet reviewer out there, but he needs to put out videos more often.

ironyuri

Mostly because they are funny and entertaining guys (well depends on what your tastes are) and they show lots of good, solid gameplay footage in its "raw" state.

You also sort of have to get to know the different people who work there. Brad is a sucker for anything Blizzard and tends to vastly overstate the quality of stuff he is hyped about. Jeff is probably the most "fair" in the sense that he doesn't really get excited about anything any more and tends to give the lowest scores on average. Vinny is... well, I can't actually recall the last time Vinny wrote any reviews, but he tends to be more into traditional PC games than the others. Patrick is an insufferable moron, weeaboo and indie-fag, most of the time, though that also means he tends to dislike a lot of the Western triple-A crap. Ryan sucks at games and is annoying.

Compared to most other sites, they give much lower scores and more often... 3/5 and 2/5 are pretty common even on fairly big games. The written text also does tend to be fairly well balanced, without being overly nitpicky, but I get the sense the star system they used means a lot of stuff is rounded up. Ultimately they are marketers and entertainers, however, I do think they do a much better job of it and have more integrity and honesty than most of the other sites outthere.

sea reviews the reviewers. coming to a gamebanshee near you.

A user named cat

wID68.jpg

Grimlorn

Arcane
Why is that guy called Angry Joe anyways? In all the videos I see of him he's just smiling and happily eating shitty, modern games. "I can't give DA2 a low score because I'm such a DA fanboy." Guy wouldn't last 2 minutes on the Codex where there is real hatred.

Multi-headed Cow

Why is that guy called Angry Joe anyways? In all the videos I see of him he's just smiling and happily eating shitty, modern games. "I can't give DA2 a low score because I'm such a DA fanboy." Guy wouldn't last 2 minutes on the Codex where there is real hatred.
Supposedly he did come here to promote his webpage. No idea if it was actually him or someone just doing it for shits and giggles.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron

Because coming up with your own gimmick instead of copying it would require a bit of original thought.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Because coming up with your own gimmick instead of copying it would require a bit of original thought.
Maybe the Hivemind should do our own REALLY angry Youtube game reviews.

Black

Arcane
I don't know if this has been posted before and I don't even care, since it's so good and true.
Truly, a prophecy of things that have come.
DY2t4.jpg

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom