Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

Gerrard

Arcane
Gragt said:
What's wrong with incest that makes it worth mentioning anyway?
It's wrong because the society tells you so.

I like how it ruins the idiotic, romantic view of love of most people, that love can win against everything, that it's the most beautiful thing in the world and everyone should defend it and yaddayadda...only for them to be horrified by one of it's ickier facets. lolposers. If you can't stand the heat...

Like homo love. Or love between people with a great age difference. Or between races. Or...

Unless you consider catgirls

300px-KattBF2.jpg

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Luzur said:
...maybe love between man and beast? thats something we yet have to see in a JRPG.

The Panther moved into the cell where the woman was waiting for her sentence. "Have sex with her" said researcher.
Panther said "Not interested", then he curled down.

Researcher updated journal. The experiment was failure. Test subjects were not cooperating, they both stayed at opposite sides of theirs cell. (FF VII, you know that FF where you played as ecoterrorist.)

Raghar said:
Luzur said:
...maybe love between man and beast? thats something we yet have to see in a JRPG.

The Panther moved into the cell where the woman was waiting for her sentence. "Have sex with her" said researcher.
Panther said "Not interested", then he curled down.

Researcher updated journal. The experiment was failure. Test subjects were not cooperating, they both stayed at opposite sides of theirs cell. (FF VII, you know that FF where you played as ecoterrorist.)

There's this horrible doujin where Red is in heat and attacks Tifa, getting her pregnant

POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
kingcomrade said:
All of the Fire Emblem games I've ever tried have been really bad. They're very shallow.

no no you see it's more than just rock paper scissors it's rock paper scissors + that one godly unit

Isn't that warfare in general though?

Tanks beat infantry, aircraft beat tanks, fighter aircraft beat bombers/fighter bombers, AA guns beat aircraft, SEAL Team beats AA guns, landmines beat SEAL Team, ect ,ect.

Or even going back to ancient times where buff hunter guy with really sharp pointy stick beats peaceful farmer with a couple rocks from his field.

Its sort of how war is.

One thing beats the shit out of the other thing because its just better than it, or designed to push said thing's shit in.

Yeah, that's kind of my point. Warfare is a mess of RPS mayhem. Tanks getting owned by planes? Make a tank with AA guns. Infantry getting overrun by tanks? Panzerfausts, RPGs, and LAWs.

Infantry with specialized guns in cover raping your tanks? Get your own infantry with smart weapons. (The Israelis have some BOSS shit for clearing dudes out of buildings, and the US is working on some grenade launchers that know exactly when and where to make grenade explode to maximize shrapnel death.)

Or get MORE PLANES to drop bombs on the cover the infantry is hiding in.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Captain Rufus said:
Tanks beat infantry, aircraft beat tanks, fighter aircraft beat bombers/fighter bombers, AA guns beat aircraft, SEAL Team beats AA guns, landmines beat SEAL Team, ect ,ect.

You reminded me about this.

mecyuri3ju7.gif

deuxhero

Arcane
^What is that, the boss from Henry's nightmare in NMH2?

POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
kingcomrade said:
All of the Fire Emblem games I've ever tried have been really bad. They're very shallow.

no no you see it's more than just rock paper scissors it's rock paper scissors + that one godly unit

The triangles are all pretty much pointless (very minor accuracy boosts/penalties except in 7 where they have a single point of damage more/less) after the first few levels, it exists primarily to shove some variety into sword vs lance vs axe than just weapons each unit can use :roll:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
deuxhero said:
^What is that, the boss from Henry's nightmare in NMH2?

She is Yu-Ri from Gadget trial. Basically it's a strategy game with a story about five girls that were in the army (they had numbers 000 - 005), and an groundbreaking weapon. The trouble was the neighbouring country didn't liked the idea of that groundbreaking weapon. Then when they had an combat exercise, the enemy country invaded and they found themselves repulsing invasion of the enemy army.

Yu-Ri did artillery, and anti air.

A small example from the story:

"I would activate an energy shield and repulse enemy attack."
"You don't have an energy shield."
"What do I have?"
"An assault rifle and flak vest, hide in that forest nearby to avoid that artillery."

"She is incredibly stealthy, if we didn't gave her that pinger we would be unable to track her at all."
"Ping dolphin die, ping another one. That pinger is quite powerful."

"I heard rumors about disappearing explosives. Now I know the culprit. Izen if you'd continue to snack on dynamite, you'd turn into big fat bomb."

"Big explosions..."
"You will not fail the mission on purpose. Do you understand?" (Hysterical voice of her commander.)

Black Cat

Magister
Gagdet trial? And then they say i'm the weaboo here!

At first i thought it would be something totally degenerate and perv when my friends sent me the ISO but it's actually pretty cute and totally clean up to where i managed to get before getting my behind handed back to me without any ceremony.

The characters are, like, robot girls that can interface with a lot of diferent weaponry and stuffies, and clone themselves so your army is always composed of clones of the five girls: One does infantry, one does tanks, one does artillery and support, one does planes and choppers, and one does submarines and ships. They are all kind of lovely, even if they clothes are almost fetish stuffies, and my totally favorite is the Navy Girl that's always teasing the Airforce Girl. You power up them by getting them new clothes: You can give the Tank Girl a nazi inspired uniform and that will give her some bonuses and some penalties, and thingies, and stuffies.

Their boss is voiced by the same guy who does Kyon on Suzumiya Haruhi, and he's totally awesome at it. He's obviously having a ridiculous amount of fun with the totally insane dialogue and the totally hysterical character he has to play.

Watch Gadget Trial's opening if you can survive inhuman amounts of Kawaii.

Did i mention the game is stupidly hard? It is. Badly.

Black Cat

Magister
I don't know how bad, i'm pretty awful at strategy games. But the artificial intellithingie does a wonderful job of anihilating me in that mission you get the heavy infantry soldiers for the first time, that one with lots of mountains and choppers. And some previous missions, like the first one with submarines, i only managed to solve them when heading into them as if i was solving a puzzle instead of trying to play a strategy game. So either the game is pretty hard or i fail a lot.

¬¬U So it's hard, right? Right. I knew, nya.

random_encounter

Educated
spekkio said:
10) Ys 1 & 2 Complete

Somewhere in 2006 one of the most retarded members of translation community, nightwolve, released his translation patches for Ys 1&2 Complete.
There's also a DS compilation of Ys I and II that was released last year. I'm not sure how accurate the translation was, but I thought it was a reasonably decent port.

spekkio said:
11) Ys - The Oath in Felghana

In November 2007 nightwolve released beta version of his some really evol people leaked nightwolve's translation patch for Ys - TOIF. Short after that, delicious DRAMA ensued:
It's probably my most favorite entry in the Ys series.

I also remember reading up on the translation dramaz concerning his attempt at policing the community with a scheme based on donations (I imported a copy and the packaging alone puts to shame what passes for what we get now).

His translation isn't complete, either, as it was missing the translated bit from the mural scene. Not that it mattered, though. Someone else finished the job and freely released a complete version.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Black Cat said:
I don't know how bad, i'm pretty awful at strategy games. But the artificial intellithingie does a wonderful job of anihilating me in that mission you get the heavy infantry soldiers for the first time, that one with lots of mountains and choppers.

Yes it's that funny mission. It requires quite a bit of thinking. I was forced to do mulitiple assaults, but they didn't manage to destroy me before I was prepared again.

As for question how hard it's.
57.jpg

Gerrard

Arcane
Unfortunately, GT suffers from severe lack of balance in the strength and usefulness of different types of units, which goes something like
Air >>>>>>>>> Infantry > Tanks >>>>> Naval > Artillery
In comparison with AW, the story parts are much more interesting (or at least if you like Sugita), but the game part is much weaker.

"Let's Freedom!"

PorkaMorka

Arcane
kingcomrade said:

Their mechanics are pretty simple, but if you play some of the harder ones, they do require a lot of analysis and thought to win.

Best Japanese Strategy RPGs in that regard.

(I recommend FE5 and FE:DS on Hard 3-5)

Felix

Arcane
Oath in Felghana is fucking awesome, FALCOM is one of a few Japanese companies make games for PC that is not hentai, even though they :decline: a bit now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom