Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

Black

Arcane
Maybe some people have an ear fetish.
Don't look at me, there are even people with SNEEZE fethish, compared to that ear fetish doesn't sound that weird!

Black Cat

Magister
@ Spekkio

Yay, sorry. I was thinking more about the, like, old, dungeon crawly ones, that really did not had all those sophisticated combat systems in place. The secret for those always was, like, give everyone human a gun, summon all high level melee demons but for maybe a support one, get personas that give reflects and either high damage or high defense, Auto anything that does not have save or die or reflects, and either contract or escape anything that does for a chance at finishing the game before it finishes your endurance, nya. :P

But really, they should make all new Shin Megami Tensei games using Devil Survivor's battle system, with the tactical battlegrounds and stuffies and thingies. That was both brutally cool and brutally hardcore. The cool and complex battles, the puzzle like bosses, and the ridiculous amount of, like, choices you get during the plot made that one the best Shin Megami Tensei game in a loooooooong time.

@ laclongquan

Pointy ears and animal ears are both cute and sexy, nya. :3

Luzur

Good Sir
If you want to retro first person RPG adventure play the Might and Magics, Ultima Underworlds or System Shocks. They are still pretty awesome.

i kinda fixed it for ya.

i got the YS Complete installed too, they are pretty good, abit japanese though, but then again ive played the original in DOS so i am abit used to that.

spekkio

Arcane
Damn, Devil Survivor sounds more and more interesting judging by your description.
Maybe I should start my more serious approach to DS emulation with this gaem...

24o4w9e.jpg

2dcin0x.jpg

2q86cyb.jpg

eqbiu9.jpg

Unfortunately most of the people capable of creating good DS emulator decided not to participate (they're making DS games and applications). So ATM we only have open source Desmume. :decline:

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Unfortunately most of the people capable of creating good DS emulator decided not to participate (they're making DS games and applications). So ATM we only have open source.
What?

I never played a Shin Megami Tensei game, will try this on.

spekkio

Arcane
Latest Desmume builds can be found here (Compiled by Orleans).
Or did you mean on real DS, WW? Your younger sister's maybe? :smug:

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Have you Sir ever heard about NO$GBA? No, well I'm glad to inform you that it's capable to emulate any DS game on a 5 year old PC flawlessly (just don't forget to tweak the setting to "realtime" and look up what type of saves it uses).

Get the 2.5 BETA version, it's equipped properly for all your needs... welcome to the cool kids, after 2 years :smug:

Black Cat

Magister
@ Spekkio

No$GBA doubles as one of the best DS emulators out there, more so if you use that No$Zoomer thingity thingie. That's what i used before getting a DS, and i still use it when it's if i spend more cashy cash on games it's no more going out and buying pretty thingies and stuffies until next month, nya! time. Some gamey games are somewhat, like, hard to emulate on it, and you need a pretty powerful machine to play games that look like right out from a super nintendo, though.

And, like, in my humble opinion Devil Survivor is the best Megami Tensei game since Shin Megami Tensei II, managing to be very, like, modern and at the same time vewy vewy hardcore and with a pretty old school feeling thingie. You have a lot of diferent paths depending on what choices you make on dialogues and how you spend your free time each day, you can totally miss characters or unique demons that way too, the bosses are brutally tough, and the battles get really epic and very tactical towards the end. It also has some pretty cool characters.

And it is totally possible to win it with no grinding if you build up your forces really smartly and stuffies, though it's so hard to do that most people only manages to win it by first getting the bad ending, then starting new game plus with the experience bonus and stuffies, and then startings to try following one of the true plot lines, like the super duper uber weaklings they are. T-T

Edity edit: Wolfy-Kun did beat me to it, nya!

spekkio

Arcane
WW & Black Cat said:
No&Gba is so last gen, it's not even funny anymore.
I mean: updated in Jan 2008 last time? Niggaz, please...
It was cool emu till Desmume showed up. It's time to move on, kids. :(

Also: thanks for the info BC, I’ve always thought that the idea of limited actions you can take in a turn, implemented as in Valkyrie Profile, should be used again :)

Gerrard

Arcane
WhiskeyWolf said:
Have you Sir ever heard about NO$GBA? No, well I'm glad to inform you that it's capable to emulate any DS game on a 5 year old PC flawlessly (just don't forget to tweak the setting to "realtime" and look up what type of saves it uses).

Get the 2.5 BETA version, it's equipped properly for all your needs... welcome to the cool kids, after 2 years :smug:
I don't know what you played, but no$GBA isn't capable of comfortable speeds on like half of the good DS games (2.6GHz). Desmume is much better.

Not that I care since I happen to have a DS + flashcard combo. :smug:

spekkio

Arcane
@laclongquan:
  • upgrade to Quad Core Pentium 9001
  • or wait 2-3 years till authors fix pcsx2
  • or buy modded PS2.
@WW: Define good game and/or good portable console game.

@Black Cat: Phew, it could be worse.

2itgbba.jpg

Gerrard

Arcane
WhiskeyWolf said:
good DS games
What would those be if I may ask?
AW: Days of Ruin? It may be a TBS but I still had to disable the audio. A whole bunch of platformers? Your results may vary.
Of course you don't need 60FPS for Professor Layton or something like that.

And aside from general slowness there was also the matter of graphical errors or games just not working at all.

or wait 2-3 years till authors fix pcsx2
You know, the emulator would be much better if they actually worked in important stuff, instead of keyboard or network adapter support.
I don't know what the current state of the team is now though.

Black

Arcane
PCSX2 not working with quad cores is p disappointing.

spekkio

Arcane
Gerrard said:
I don't know what the current state of the team is now though.
They switched to Widgets and decided to rewrite instructions handled by GPU&CPU starting from 1888 (Sept 2009) and now we have 2559 and AFAIK shit still doesn't work properly (as before 1888). They're also working on lunix compatibility :smug:

Anyway: I think it's good for what it is.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
@WW: Define good game and/or good portable console game.
Och come on, this is the Codex ffs, we know a good game when we play one (Fallout, JA2 and the like). I didn't play many games on DS, Phoenix Wright series was enjoyable, that's for sure.
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
I played Advance Wars: Dual Strike, didn't like it, it felt more like a puzzle game... not that I don't like puzzle games, I just didn't like this one.

Days of Ruin is MUCH better than Dual Strike.

That entire strategy lite style of TBS sometimes has puzzle like missions, but Dual Strike is one of the rougher titles in the genre.

Days of Ruin and Advance Wars 2 are probably the best of the 4 US AW games to play.

spekkio

Arcane
Fallout, JA2 and the like.

On portable consoles? :smug:
Have you tried Rebelstar - Tactical Command for GBA?

Rebelstar: Tactical Command is a turn-based strategy game in the same vein as X-Com, and is based off the Rebelstar strategy game setting. The developer, Codo Technologies, is composed of staff who have worked on games such as Laser Squad Nemesis, X-Com, and the original Laser Squad and Rebelstar Raiders. R:TC offers a similar style of play, and it may appeal to fans those titles and turn-based strategy games.

2inla0.jpg

jr4495.jpg

aekyuv.jpg

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
No translation for:
Weltorv Estleia
Soldnerschild
Zill Oll
Lunatic Dawn

That's quite bad. You know it's hard to translate quality Japanese games that are too complicated for an average US person.

Pablosdog

Prophet
But is the average U.s Person too complicated for the japanese game? :smugcodex:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Would an average US person play the game, or would the game play the person?

Suicidal

Arcane
About Front Mission 5:

I actually got it running pretty well on my other PC (a laptop) with the 0.9.6 version of pcs2x or whatever it is called. I had 40~ fps in game which resulted in a slight slowdown and to counter it I enabled 1.5x speed in the emulator and now the game runs almost perfectly (except for cut scenes, but who cares about them, right?). The terrain looks like shit and there are occasional sound and music glitches, but those are really minor issues. The game is playable.

Even if it runs slowly it's still possible to play it because the game gives you the option to fast forward or entirely skip battle animations (a feature EVERY jap RPG or tactical game should have).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom