Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trigger the codex with a statement.

Cael

Arcane
Dragon Age, Mass Effect and KOTOR are the top 3 BioWare games, Baldurs Gate is only ahead of Jade Empire.
Jade Empire wasn't that bad.

Unless you were expecting a CRPG, then yes, it wasn't that bad. The setting felt fresh because ching chang chong shit was more uncommon back then. The story must have been unremarkable because I can't even remember it, but I liked the visual design some of the locations. It certainly was something different.
If it is what I think it is, then it was also incomplete. It was like the prologue and first chapter of a full game, and then it just stopped.

Any videogame who doesn't limit save game features that consecuently leads to autistic savescumming is practically terrible game design.
The only RPGs to do save points well were the souls games, specifically because the bonfires (or whatever they call them now) were purposefully designed like oldschool checkpoints that you'd see in a NES/SNES/Genesis game.

Something I despise with JRPGs is that if you run into a savepoint there's always a reason. For example, if you find a random savepoint deep into a dungeon, you basically know for a fact that you're at a boss. Feels really gamey and breaks the suspense imo.

My point being: if you're going to throw me a save point every time I get to an obstacle that might kill me, you might as well just let me save whenever I want.

behold_a_man

Educated
If it is what I think it is, then it was also incomplete. It was like the prologue and first chapter of a full game, and then it just stopped.
It had three proper chapters, and then it became completely railroaded. The game had polish typical of Bioware games between Baldur's Gate 2 and Dragon Age 1; the production quality of the game is the least of its problems. I wouldn't call it incomplete in any way.

Cael

Arcane
It had three proper chapters, and then it became completely railroaded. The game had polish typical of Bioware games between Baldur's Gate 2 and Dragon Age 1; the production quality of the game is the least of its problems. I wouldn't call it incomplete in any way.
It must be an other game, then. I only have vague memories of it. Something about a demon attacking a temple and a child saved from it who may or may not be you. That kind of stuff.

Peachcurl

Cipher
As per your request, I googled it. It simply confirms my opinion. I mean, sure, Dark Souls is a true classic that only older gentlemen like us have played, while Disco Elysium is more like a modern twist to the genre. A revival, I would say.

Kruyurk

Learned
3DDH0ym.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom