Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trigger the codex with a statement.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I'm not sure about STR and CON, you'd have to check against beasts he overpowered in the books but surely, Conan was smarter than wiser, maybe he finally got some wisdom when he settled and ruled but before this, I'd say 16/17 INT and 8/10 WIS, maybe even less wisdom.
As for CHA, probably 10/14, he's more intimidating than charming.
Conan tended to quickly rise to the leadership of whatever group he found himself in, when he actually was accompanying a group rather than adventuring on his own. See for example A Witch Shall Be Born, where he is crucified but saved by cossacks kozaks and swiftly becomes so popular among the men that he is able to depose their chief and lead the band to liberate Khauran. Charisma is defined as affecting reaction rolls, morale, and maximum number of henchmen. Conan as King of Aquilonia, or earlier in his timeline as leader of warbands or pirates, exerts great magnetism and imparts high morale to those he leads in combat. He also generally finds himself well-liked, or even beloved, immediately by those he comes into contact with. Should have high charisma, not necessarily intelligence since he relies on barbarian cunning and instinct. :M

Conan as King of Aquilonia, or earlier in his timeline as leader of warbands or pirates, exerts great magnetism and imparts high morale to those he leads in combat. He also generally finds himself well-liked, or even beloved, immediately by those he comes into contact with.

This is true. I can remember specifically in Hour of the Dragon, upon his return to Poitain after escaping the Nemedians, he's welcomed back by a certain minister with open arms and the other local barons rally around him to go off and fight "totally not the Battle of Tours". Takes a lot of charisma for foreign civilized princes to voluntarily rally around a barbarian usurper who had once conquered them.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
He also generally finds himself well-liked, or even beloved, immediately by those he comes into contact with. Should have high charisma, not necessarily intelligence since he relies on barbarian cunning and instinct.

I might agree on a decent charisma like 13-14 but you don't need charisma to rise above a group of thugs or pirates, he always took everything he wanted by force, sometimes after dividing his opposition first and that's how he became king, because Aquilonia was surrounded by enemies and didn't have any other option, they needed a huge fearsome Barbarian and that's what they got.

If you're more attentive, you'll realize he's neither a bard nor a snake-oil merchant, not even a politician, he's a huge pile of muscle with a fearsome look but way more brains than his looks suggests.
He fouled mages and kings alike, don't mix education with raw intelligence, he is intelligent.

laclongquan

Arcane
Barbarians are a garbage class.
That's a broad statement. Thematically and aesthetically barbarians don't make any sense. When I think of barbarians I think of people like Celts, Huns, Goths, Vikings. They have armor as good as anybody else, they might fight from horseback and use bows. Not really very different from a normal fighter. But in D&D retard land a barbarian is a flanderized Frazetta painting. The barbarian runs around in a leather thong, eats raw dirt, and gets REALLY ANGRY ARGGGHHHH. But honestly all of the non-core classes in D&D and its ripoffs are retarded. Oh I want to be a charming trickster but also sword fight and cast spells sometimes. Well then I'd better fucking learn guitar because you need to be a "Bard" for some goddamn reason. Ranger? Just a grab-bag of bullshit somebody wanted for their special little guy and made into a class. Must be "good" alignment for some reason. Monk, totally retarded, adding jrpg kung fu bullshit into western fantasy, doesn't belong at all. Then there's all the other retarded classes they keep adding. I hate D&D for the brain rot its brought to fantasy settings.

Girl, where do you get the idea "Celts, Huns, Goths, Vikings. They have armor as good as anybody else"? They are freaking barbarians, they dont mine and smith for shit, barely at serviceable level. What good stuffs they have come from looting in civilized lands. WHY ELSE, why else indeed they go killing, raping, looting, and burning abroad? Because they dont have good stuffs at home, is why~

You think painthemselves blue and running nekkid screaming into battle is their kink? No, it's because they were dirt poor.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Girl, where do you get the idea "Celts, Huns, Goths, Vikings. They have armor as good as anybody else"? They are freaking barbarians, they dont mine and smith for shit, barely at serviceable level. What good stuffs they have come from looting in civilized lands. WHY ELSE, why else indeed they go killing, raping, looting, and burning abroad? Because they dont have good stuffs at home, is why~

You think painthemselves blue and running nekkid screaming into battle is their kink? No, it's because they were dirt poor.

And?
What stops them from putting a looted/repaired plate armor on?

KateMicucci

Arcane
That's a broad statement. Thematically and aesthetically barbarians don't make any sense. When I think of barbarians I think of people like Celts, Huns, Goths, Vikings. They have armor as good as anybody else, they might fight from horseback and use bows. Not really very different from a normal fighter. But in D&D retard land a barbarian is a flanderized Frazetta painting. The barbarian runs around in a leather thong, eats raw dirt, and gets REALLY ANGRY ARGGGHHHH. But honestly all of the non-core classes in D&D and its ripoffs are retarded. Oh I want to be a charming trickster but also sword fight and cast spells sometimes. Well then I'd better fucking learn guitar because you need to be a "Bard" for some goddamn reason. Ranger? Just a grab-bag of bullshit somebody wanted for their special little guy and made into a class. Must be "good" alignment for some reason. Monk, totally retarded, adding jrpg kung fu bullshit into western fantasy, doesn't belong at all. Then there's all the other retarded classes they keep adding. I hate D&D for the brain rot its brought to fantasy settings.

Chainmail is believed to have been invented by the Celtic people in Eastern Europe about 500 BC. When these Celts moved West they took mail with them. Most cultures who used chainmail used the Celtic word Byrnne or a variant, suggesting the Celts as the originators.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Nice try, but Celts mined metals and had quite developped metalurgy. Their chainmails were superior to hellenic style armors, that's why they were adapted by both Romans (lorica hamata) and Hellenistic soldiers (armor of Thorakitai).

Huns, while quite barbarous, introduced stirrups to Europe, changing cavalry forever. Vikings were skilled seafarers, they broadened our knowlege of the world, reaching America and connecting Scandinavia with Levant (via sea and land routes through todays Russia).

Cael

Arcane
The Vikings also smelted iron from peat and made weapons and armour from it. I'd like to see "civilised" men figure that one out.

laclongquan

Arcane

Nice try, but Celts mined metals and had quite developped metalurgy. Their chainmails were superior to hellenic style armors, that's why they were adapted by both Romans (lorica hamata) and Hellenistic soldiers (armor of Thorakitai).

Huns, while quite barbarous, introduced stirrups to Europe, changing cavalry forever. Vikings were skilled seafarers, they broadened our knowlege of the world, reaching America and connecting Scandinavia with Levant (via sea and land routes through todays Russia).

Bitch please~ Nice try obfucasting issues but you aint doing any shits~

Idea and Invent is one thing. Making in large number and put them to use in large number is another issue entirely.

You know why chainmail is called lorica hamata? Because those armors were going to be made by Roman smith, used by Roman troopers, PAID for by Roman treasurers. They were not to be damned into calling them some stinking celt name. What is its Celtic name anyway? No name? Why do you claim it Celtic?

Stirrups, while important, is not armors, thus not in discussion here~ Same deal with Viking seafarer.

We are talking about armors. Dont move the goalpost~

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

You know why chainmail is called lorica hamata? Because those armors were going to be made by Roman smith, used by Roman troopers, PAID for by Roman treasurers. They were not to be damned into calling them some stinking celt name. What is its Celtic name anyway? No name? Why do you claim it Celtic?

Why do I claim it Celtic?

Because up to a certain point Romans used Hellenic style weaponry, armor and formations. They fought in Greek phalanx, ffs.

After suffering numerous assrapes from Cisalpine Gauls the Romans adapted not only chainmails, but also a new, more flexible 'manipular formation' more suited to fighting against maneuverable Gauls.

Similar thing happened after the Celts invaded Macedon and Hellas. Not only Greeks started mass hiring Celtic mercnaries, but also their own soldiers started to use chainmail and more loose, flexible formations.

Besides, chainmails were quite common among Gauls. When Cymbri and Teutoni invaded Gaul, after several years of raiding and conquering they managed to outfit tens of thousands of their own warriors in Gaulic chainmail and weaponry. Thus, when they finally reached Roman territories, these Germanic peoples have proven to be much tougher than usual.

serch

Magister

Bitch please~ Nice try obfucasting issues but you aint doing any shits~

Idea and Invent is one thing. Making in large number and put them to use in large number is another issue entirely.

Stirrups, while important, is not armors, thus not in discussion here~ Same deal with Viking seafarer.

We are talking about armors. Dont move the goalpost~

Nah, celts were better at metallurgy in general, see falcata, they just were in love with infighting. I agree with Rome being great at recognizing good innovations from around the known world and building upon them.

The Vikings also smelted iron from peat and made weapons and armour from it. I'd like to see "civilised" men figure that one out.

If you're talking about Bog-Iron it's not from the peat itself, it's just chunks of ore scattered throughout the bogs that people would poke around with sticks for. There's nothing really special about the ore itself, it's an just unusual source.

As to the conversation on mail, it was either a Celtic or Germanic invention, but I wouldn't overstate the idea that it was vastly superior to Lorica Lamminata, Musculata etc. Less protective, but "close enough for government work" and most importantly cheaper (eventually), therefore better for a state-funded military. Moreover, it's much easier to repair or even adjust when it passes from one soldier to the next.

laclongquan

Arcane
When you boast about mining, bog iron is not a proof of good mining. It's actually bad proof, because it mean you dont know how to mine and you just pick up natural formed resources. A proof of good mining knowledge is dig up some ore, smelt it up then beat some more~

And when we say armors, we mean making in good number, not "invent", not "idea". Make armor, not think it.

Cael

Arcane
When you boast about mining, bog iron is not a proof of good mining. It's actually bad proof, because it mean you dont know how to mine and you just pick up natural formed resources. A proof of good mining knowledge is dig up some ore, smelt it up then beat some more~

And when we say armors, we mean making in good number, not "invent", not "idea". Make armor, not think it.
Learn English, for no one talked about mining, Don Quixote.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
No one cares about The Witcher lore. Whining about how the show/game/whatever should be true to the stories is like complaining that Drizzt in Dark Alliance isn't showing off the literary brilliance of R. A. Salvatore and the rich tapestry of the Forgotten Realms.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
No one cares about The Witcher lore

They do though. You're not going to trigger anyone with demonstrably false statements, bro.

I thought it went without explanation. Alright, once again for the slow people: No one worth considering cares about The Witcher lore. It's trash tier adolescent wank for people who haven't intellectually outgrown thinking Drizzt is awesome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom