Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trigger the codex with a statement.

Modron

Arcane
tl;dr abandoned accounts can be accessed by a malefactor finding the same username and matching password on lists from other sites that have been hacked; the malefactor then mass deletes Codex posts, which causes the forum software to have conniptions.
IIRC the tard gained access to codex accounts via compromised emails and I would imagine the email option is still probably the most commonly used form of 2FA here.

UndeadHalfOrc

Novice
Also yes, Japan has never produced a single game worthy of the title "RPG". "JRPG" should not be a term.

While I understand your sentiment, considering the slime that was spewed out of that genre for the last 20 years, I respectfully beg to differ when it comes to Final Fantasy 5 and Chrono Trigger.
Final Fantasy 5's skill system is as deep as say, Baldur's Gate 1&2, or Might and Magic 6&7.

And Chrono Trigger needs no explanation. The only game I ever played that integrated time travel perfectly in the storyline and the gameplay as well... and made it fun and coherent.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Also yes, Japan has never produced a single game worthy of the title "RPG". "JRPG" should not be a term.
I'm curious, would you say that of Lunatic Dawn? Because that's very much just a Japanese-made CRPG, but every time it gets brought up, people gloss over it. It feels very much an example of a Japanese game that got screwed over because it stayed exclusively in Japanese.

While I understand your sentiment, considering the slime that was spewed out of that genre for the last 20 years, I respectfully beg to differ when it comes to Final Fantasy 5 and Chrono Trigger.
Final Fantasy 5's skill system is as deep as say, Baldur's Gate 1&2, or Might and Magic 6&7.

And Chrono Trigger needs no explanation. The only game I ever played that integrated time travel perfectly in the storyline and the gameplay as well... and made it fun and coherent.
I don't know, the last 20 years has been great, especially the last decade. We got Pillars of Eternity, Atom RPGs, Pathfinders, Divinity Original Sins and a few Indies like Space Wreck, Colony Ship, Encased etc.

Chrono Trigger and FF5 are good games, great even for some, just not Roleplaying Game proper. If you take out the "RPG elements" from these games, there will be 0 changes on how you navigate the story. And then, if you just have numbers floating and character stats but its sole purpose to determine how hard you hit the enemy it's just an "ARPG", which is also shouldn't be a thing.

RPG is not just about system, system alone doesn't made an RPG. Having numbers floating when you hit =/= RPG neither. But it's about how your stat dictate how your character experience and interact with the story, not the one made up by developer in order to experience the story.

If you like story, there are plenty non-RPG games with fantastic story. Because "great story" isn't exclusive to RPG games.

m curious, would you say that of Lunatic Dawn?
I would say that it's closer to rogue like and dungeon crawler than proper cRPG.

I consider RPG as a Spectrum, the more RPG elements exist and dictate how your character interact with the environments *and* story, the more RPG it is.

Since Lunatic Dawn is probably the closest thing Japanese to a true RPG (in my definition) and it floped, I think it's telling that Japanese really doesn't interested in making real RPG.

But doesn't mean they can't make a great games, just not an RPG.

of course. rpg games are shit by definition, japanese rpg games are NOT shit.
Japanese Games. They never made an RPG games like I said.

Also i think Japanese video games industry in general are screwed, there aren't many studios and most of them prioritize what sells, and what sells doesn't necessarily good (i.e. Pachinko games), it's an unique perspective on how you would see an aspect of Japanese culture post-bubble, it's like kabukicho.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
eMtpKct.png

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
4:3 aspect ratio is better than 16:9 when it comes to videogames
4:3 is for narrow-minded people
16:9 is for narrow minded people
4:3 is for squares

:smug:

Every square is a rectangle but not every rectangle is a square. 4:4 is for squares. Did you fail basic geometry?
My good man, this is the "trigger the codex with a statement" thread. I thought the "claim a rectangle is a square" was too cheap to land but..

Mission accomplished :smug:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
4:3 aspect ratio is better than 16:9 when it comes to videogames
4:3 is for narrow-minded people
16:9 is for narrow minded people
4:3 is for squares

:smug:

Every square is a rectangle but not every rectangle is a square. 4:4 is for squares. Did you fail basic geometry?
My good man, this is the "trigger the codex with a statement" thread. I thought the "claim a rectangle is a square" was too cheap to land but..

Mission accomplished :smug:
Less triggered than pitying you and your lineage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom