Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Troika and the Fallout rights - where did I read that?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Eating is ethically wrong because children in Ethiopia are starving to death.

Dhruin

Liturgist
kathode said:
Whatever word you're comfortable with, I'm just telling you I don't see how that's possible given the bid we got it for. I don't see that anyone has any proof at all that that's how things happened.

*shrug* That you don't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen - unless you mean that youknow it didn't happen but don't want to say so . I don't understand why you think it's so unlikely but I won't post the actual emails, so that's it for me, other than saying my source is credible and knew about Bethsoft weeks and weeks before it went public. You could always go ask the right person if you are interested.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I've already said it: taking a license to the setting from the CREATOR of that setting is immoral."

Stop lying. Troika didn't create FO. Interplay did. In fact, only about half a dozen Troikians worked on FO. Big fuckin' whoop for a game that had many people who worked on it.

Stop the moronicy. Do not give credit to Troika for the great FO when Troika did NOT create FO.

Period. Undisputable fact unless you are a moron.

And, it's not immoral for a company to buy the rights to a game just ebcause another company wanted no matter what ties they may have to said original game.

That's retarded.

This entire thread has a bunch of people whining about the lack fo morlaity that coems across as nothing more thanthem being hypocritical as the bunch of you have no morals.

P.S. Same here; but keep up with these whines of Bethesda's supposed 'moral corruptedness'. It's frickin' hilarious!

And, the funny thing is, I say that and I abhor Bethesda and their crappy games!

Hahahahahahahahahhahahahaha!!!!

Ausir

Arcane
Stop lying. Troika didn't create FO. Interplay did. In fact, only about half a dozen Troikians worked on FO. Big fuckin' whoop for a game that had many people who worked on it.

No one said Troika made Fallout. The key people behind the Fallout setting and game were Tim Cain, Chris Taylor, Leonard Boyarsky and Jason Anderson. While others also contributed a lot of neat stuff, they are the people responsible for most of the stuff we love about Fallout, just like the director and the writer are most often called "the creators" of a movie, not every crew or cast member. Of these 4 people only Chris Taylor wasn't at Troika.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
kathode said:
Saint_Proverbius said:
There have been contacts between Bethesda and Troika where Troika members wanted in on the project of Fallout 3.
Instead, Bethesda declined. Flat faced turned down those people from Troika interested in working on Fallout 3.
Sorry you're going to have to back these up somehow. I don't think that is a real event you're describing.
You mean you weren't invited? Maybe they only wake you up for the important meetings? :wink:

Whatever word you're comfortable with, I'm just telling you I don't see how that's possible given the bid we got it for.
What's not possible? No way anyone could have had as much money as Bethesda did? No way Troika wanted the license? No way Troika could have bought the license from Interplay because ...[dramatic pause]... you bought it from Feargus who stole it from Interplay? JUST TELL US, MAN! THE SUSPENSE IS KILLING ME!

DarkSign

Erudite
Ausir said:

No one said Troika made Fallout.

Uhm about half the people in this thread are basing their logic on the fact that Troika is/was the spiritual successor to BIS and therefore should have gotten the license.

callehe

Liturgist
Perhaps the most tragic thing is that Bethsoft doesn't know what they want to do with the fallout licence - they have no vision, no concept, no idea what kind of game they want to create. Beth devs, you have only yourselves to blame for being percieved assholes when you aquire the licence just because you can. Also, Fallout is not the type of game you guys have competence in creating - mr Hines said that himself ("we're not suddenly gonna make a top down view"- thingy). They goal of every company should focus on a niche, and on differentiating their product from others and thus aquiring a loyal fanbase - Bethsoft is not. You are alienating the original fallout fanbase, and at the same time compromising with your current TES fanbase, who probably haven't even heard of Fallout (?)...

The conclusion is: you have fucked up, do something about it.

Vault Dweller

Developer
@ DarkSign

Not the spiritual successor of BIS as that would be Obsidian, but the creators of the original game and setting. See Ausir's post for more details.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Troika didn't create FO. Not spiritually, not in actually, not in any menaingful way. The founders of Troika, and some of their employees, helped INTERPLAY create FO.

Game over.

At least til the next Troika fanboy acts retarded and says otherwise.

Hahahahahahaha!!!

DarkSign

Erudite
He makes a good point. You can never step in the same river twice...

in this case...the mix of people that made FO what it is will never be duplicated completely. Did Troika have the best chance to carry that on?

Id like to see a proportional breakdown not only of team member #'s, but of % of contribution of the important parts of FO by team member. (Impossible of course)

So you're back to a general feeling that Troikie had the best chance. Right?

Vault Dweller

Developer
callehe said:
Perhaps the most tragic thing is that Bethsoft doesn't know what they want to do with the fallout licence - they have no vision, no concept, no idea what kind of game they want to create.
Unfortunately, they do.
http://www.rpgcodex.com/newsarchive.php?GameID=283

We're not going to suddenly do a top-down isometric Baldur's Gate-style game, because that's not what we do well.
No shit

There's a lot of excited people here when it comes to Fallout. We aren't a company where the employees only play fantasy RPG's since that's what we make. All of us have played Fallout 1 and 2.
Oh and Fallout Tactics was my favorite out of the bunch. I know they don't directly tie in but I loved Fallout 1 and 2 because of the story. I absolutely hated the combat because real-time was a little too frantic and turn-based was a little too slow. Tactics took the worst part of Fallout (to me anyway) and turned it into a really great experience and a great game to play.
It's great to know that Fallout fans will be working on FO3.

The game is being developed alongside the next Elder Scrolls game, and will be available on PCs and consoles as well. There is not much to reveal yet about the game's storyline, but its SPECIAL character system, and it's gritty drug-and-prostitute-speckled irreverence is still at the core
Thank God the prostitutes are in. Won't be a Fallout game without 'em.

I'd say the impact the original had in its day was about so much more then the angle you viewed it at, or how combat was executed
Translation: FP + RT

While only in preproduction stages at the moment, the game will use the same technology as Oblivion, and is planned as another open-ended roleplaying game. This game however, will be decidedly darker. Imagine a survival horror-esque version of the Fallout world, with all the things you expect out of the series still intact, but with deeper, more immersive gameplay. The post-apoc theme (with tongue in cheek humor) of the series is still present, with your character having spent the first 20 years of his life living underground. Because of this, his eyes are unaccustomed to the light of day, thus players will have to train their eyes away from light sensitivity by using a special pair of goggles. Todd Howard claims that Fallout 3 will be one of the most original and violent titles ever and will be set in a familiar US city.
Priceless.

Human Shield

Augur
Ausir said:
No one said Troika made Fallout. The key people behind the Fallout setting and game were Tim Cain, Chris Taylor, Leonard Boyarsky and Jason Anderson. While others also contributed a lot of neat stuff, they are the people responsible for most of the stuff we love about Fallout, just like the director and the writer are most often called "the creators" of a movie, not every crew or cast member. Of these 4 people only Chris Taylor wasn't at Troika.

Not in Volourn's world where the person who prepares the food for the actors is an equal creator in the movie, and there is no different between the creative and technical side.

Even thought if you ever take a video production class there is a difference between "above the line" and "below the line" costs.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Volourn said:
Troika didn't create FO. Not spiritually, not in actually, not in any menaingful way. The founders of Troika, and some of their employees, helped INTERPLAY create FO.
Helped Interplay? What was Interplay's role? Letting them use computers?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Whatever word you're comfortable with, I'm just telling you I don't see how that's possible given the bid we got it for. I don't see that anyone has any proof at all that that's how things happened.

Exhibit A:
image.gif

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Helped Interplay? What was Interplay's role? Letting them use computers?"

Interplay did EVERYTHING. Writing. Design. Graphics. Music. Characters. Story. Everything.

Fallout was developed, and published by Interplay.

The only individual who deserves any solo credit for FO is Fargo.

He is THA MAN!

Human Shield

Augur
Volourn said:
Interplay did EVERYTHING.

Writing - Troika person.
Design- Troika.
Graphics - Design by Troika.
Music - Design by Troika.
Characters - Troika.
Story - Troika.

There is a thing called project leaders that tell people 'how' to do everything without having to do it themselves.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
True. Yet they were better than most crap you see on the shelves these days.

True, but lets face it - it isn't terribly hard to do better than most of the crap out there currently. It's just that many don't try.

Now let's look at MW: poor dialogues, poor quest design, unbalanced, etc.

What dialogues? :lol:

True again, but if you concede that both companies have shown these flaws in their games you can't expect one to be more suited than the other to develop the game in these fields.

Arcanum and Bloodlines say different. Even ToEE temple areas are very rich with quests and role-playing.

I think Arcanum was indeed better than ToEE dialogue-wise but still felt pretty unpolished in several cases. Vampire is probably the title with the best written dialogue.

At least you can't become the leader of all temple factions :wink:

True that :)

One system has no hit roll, one has. Remember all those reviewers bitching abour ranged being useless? Well, that's because it is useless if your skills are low. Ranged owns everything at >7. That's role-playing.

Or at least part of it. However, you're describing Oblivion's system, not Fallout 3's system. I don't remember any information that basically confirms that the Oblvion combat model will be duplicated in Fallout 3. I have been wrong before, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

I was talking about the quality of writing. Haven't you seen any Oblivion screens?

I think that when it comes to TES the writing is very solid (if not outright good), but its just that, writing. Filler. The lack of any real dialogues are the issue so 'tis more a question of how the writing is used, not with the writing itself.

Why do you think Bethesda grabbed that license? It's harder to sell an orginal IP these days than to sell a sequel or a follow up.

Which for all I know could have even been why Troika tried to bid on the Fallout license.

Human Shield

Augur
All Troika needed to do was to take the quests and writing from Arcanum with the interface, combat and graphics of ToEE but instead they made a FPS for some reason while their experience was elsewhere.

Briosafreak

Augur
kathode said:
Rosh said:
kathode said:
(Snip more idiotic excuses.)

That still doesn't invalidate the point of a fucking courtesy call.

I wasn't responding to you. Dhurin posted about the supposed bidding war, which I find ludicrous. Vault Dweller is still posting about it like it's gospel and I still don't see any way it could be when you look at the numbers.

Wow wow wow there. Troika started working on an engine from their own and to play with the HL2 engine. They made some demos, and thought about doing a bid for the Fallout franchise, when they thought they were getting the tech they needed and were confident they could make a good game. they looked around for backers, while talking to the remnants of Interplay for sometime. By then Beth already had an eye on the Fallout franchise, having opened their doors to former BIS devs, wich for one reason or another didn`t went to Beth.

Troika continued to talk and finally found a financial partner, someone that was ready to go to the amount Herve was asking for. Beth has decided to move to the Fallout franchise even without BIS devs by now, they were in need of a game setting that could allow some diversification, not only because of economic reasons but even because of creative reasons (the team was showing off to be a bit tired of the Elder Scrolls setting by then).

Troika got Herve to say that he accepted in selling the rights for PC and console games on the Fallout franchise, and very thorough negociations started.

That event leaked to the carbon press (in the UK), i found out by accident and warned Proverbius.

troika was having serious finacial troubles at the time, and the deals outside fallout weren`t working, while Herve was stalling the signing of the deal, for reasons that Troika didn`t understand. The finacial backer of Troika states that either the deal would involve Fallout and to be signed soon or they would give up.

Bethesda makes a proposition that Herve considers a winner, and troika find out that Herve has an alternate deal with another company all ready to sign. Panic reaches the trio, Interplay tells them that they would need a much larger amount of money to secure the deal.The backer from Troika refuses to raise the bid, the studio is for all purposes shut down at the time and dies out while Interplay signs the deal with Bethesda.

The Troika guys knew who the company was a long time before i did, they never complained about Beth or acused them of foul play. They were really hurt with loosing the chance for a final Fallout game though, that pain is never going to go away.

Each company dealt things in private with Herve, they didn`t try to outbid eachother, but to comply with Herve's proposals.

The Beth attack to the license took about two weeks or three, their first figures were only marginally raised, and Troika couldn`t compete with them.

One thing though, if Troika found out Beth was in the game i don`t see how Beth wouldn´t know that troika was playing it too, but Beth always denied that, we´ll have to take their word for it then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom