Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Troika and the Fallout rights - where did I read that?

Briosafreak

Augur
kathode said:
Rosh said:
kathode said:
(Snip more idiotic excuses.)

That still doesn't invalidate the point of a fucking courtesy call.

I wasn't responding to you. Dhurin posted about the supposed bidding war, which I find ludicrous. Vault Dweller is still posting about it like it's gospel and I still don't see any way it could be when you look at the numbers.

Wow wow wow there. Troika started working on an engine from their own and to play with the HL2 engine. They made some demos, and thought about doing a bid for the Fallout franchise, when they thought they were getting the tech they needed and were confident they could make a good game. they looked around for backers, while talking to the remnants of Interplay for sometime. By then Beth already had an eye on the Fallout franchise, having opened their doors to former BIS devs, wich for one reason or another didn`t went to Beth.

Troika continued to talk and finally found a financial partner, someone that was ready to go to the amount Herve was asking for. Beth has decided to move to the Fallout franchise even without BIS devs by now, they were in need of a game setting that could allow some diversification, not only because of economic reasons but even because of creative reasons (the team was showing off to be a bit tired of the Elder Scrolls setting by then).

Troika got Herve to say that he accepted in selling the rights for PC and console games on the Fallout franchise, and very thorough negociations started.

That event leaked to the carbon press (in the UK), i found out by accident and warned Proverbius.

troika was having serious finacial troubles at the time, and the deals outside fallout weren`t working, while Herve was stalling the signing of the deal, for reasons that Troika didn`t understand. The finacial backer of Troika states that either the deal would involve Fallout and to be signed soon or they would give up.

Bethesda makes a proposition that Herve considers a winner, and troika find out that Herve has an alternate deal with another company all ready to sign. Panic reaches the trio, Interplay tells them that they would need a much larger amount of money to secure the deal.The backer from Troika refuses to raise the bid, the studio is for all purposes shut down at the time and dies out while Interplay signs the deal with Bethesda.

The Troika guys knew who the company was a long time before i did, they never complained about Beth or acused them of foul play. They were really hurt with loosing the chance for a final Fallout game though, that pain is never going to go away.

Each company dealt things in private with Herve, they didn`t try to outbid eachother, but to comply with Herve's proposals.

The Beth attack to the license took about two weeks or three, their first figures were only marginally raised, and Troika couldn`t compete with them.

One thing though, if Troika found out Beth was in the game i don`t see how Beth wouldn´t know that troika was playing it too, but Beth always denied that, we´ll have to take their word for it then.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Briosafreak said:
... but Beth always denied that, we´ll have to take their word for it then.
We would have, unfortunately Beth's habits (or business practices, who can tell?) of lying and denying make trusting Beth more complicated than it should have been.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Role-Player said:
True, but lets face it - it isn't terribly hard to do better than most of the crap out there currently. It's just that many don't try.
Quality is relative. Arcanum and Daggerfall are great, yet unbalanced and buggy games. The absence of games of better quality makes those games ones of the best. So, how hard it is to make a better game is irrelevant, the lack of better games is.

True again, but if you concede that both companies have shown these flaws in their games you can't expect one to be more suited than the other to develop the game in these fields.
Why not? Both are flawed, yet one's less flawed, at least in those areas that are most relevant for the game in question (dialogues, choices that matter, role-playing as we understand the term, etc). The less flawed one is a better choice, obviously, even without considering that whole "creators" angle.

I don't remember any information that basically confirms that the Oblvion combat model will be duplicated in Fallout 3. I have been wrong before, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
These are design decisions, not some game-specific features. These designs are what Bethesda believes will appeal to people the most. You should expect to find many familiar features in FO3.

I think that when it comes to TES the writing is very solid (if not outright good), but its just that, writing. Filler. The lack of any real dialogues are the issue so 'tis more a question of how the writing is used, not with the writing itself.
Again, design decisions. I don't think that Bethesda's writers can't write. Yet for some reasons, those dialogue lines we saw are god-fucking-awful.

Which for all I know could have even been why Troika tried to bid on the Fallout license.
True, yet now we are back at what we started from: Troika could have done a better job.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Writing - Troika person.
Design- Troika.
Graphics - Design by Troika.
Music - Design by Troika.
Characters - Troika.
Story - Troika."

Writing - Interplay

Deisgn - Interplay

Graphics - Interplay

Music - Interplay

Characters - interplay

Story - Interplay

You better read your FO box and manual.

Moron.

bryce777

Erudite
Volourn said:
"Writing - Troika person.
Design- Troika.
Characters - Troika.
Story - Troika."

Writing - Interplay

Deisgn - Interplay

Graphics - Interplay

Music - Interplay

Characters - interplay

Story - Interplay

You better read your FO box and manual.

Moron.

AYRTS? IA?

WAYSA?

Are you really this stupid? Is anyone? Why are you still alive?

From now on I will just post the initials to save time....

Human Shield

Augur
Vault Dweller said:
Who is this Interplay fella? He sounds very creative and capable.

He plays bridge with America, Wal-mart, and eBay every Friday on Cloud 9.

Because when you join Interplay you merge into one giant and become a single cell of this individual.

And Dream Works makes all of Spielberg's movies, Dream Works does it all and Spielberg is just one helper.

Rosh

Erudite
GhanBuriGhan said:
I didn't even aregue with you calling it that, Rosh. You are in rambling mode now, as usual...

Actually, by going back and reading what you wrote, you did argue with me calling it that.

Calling it a shit trick and uncourteous - go ahead if you want, if that is your opinion. That's at a different level than calling it morally or ethically wrong though.

In art, authoring, etc, it is HIGHLY disrespectful to do as they have done and not contact the originasl authors.

kathode said:
Rosh said:
kathode said:
(Snip more idiotic excuses.)

That still doesn't invalidate the point of a fucking courtesy call.

I wasn't responding to you. Dhurin posted about the supposed bidding war, which I find ludicrous. Vault Dweller is still posting about it like it's gospel and I still don't see any way it could be when you look at the numbers.

First we get "conspiracy", and then move to "bidding war", to cover up Bethesda's rudseness and lack of ethics as a developer. Anything else you Bethesda guys would like to coin to try and spin this any more? Taking a cheap shot at Troika's financial situation isn't that particularly bright on your part, either, with the fans. So on behalf of developers with real integrity, I cordially invite you to go violate yourselves with a beloved X-Brick controller, just like you had violated your own game (TES) and fanbase for selling out on a shitty console. Add tabasco sauce for the lying and spin-doctoring. The treatment of your own IP speaks volumes for how you would even treat your breadwinner, so that must mean Fallout's the whipping boy until we hear otherwise. Especially given Bethesda's words from the license aquisition announcement.

kathode, MSFD, we are not some stupid IGN hype whores. You have to try a bit better than that crap to sell us an excuse and spin-doctoring. It might also help if you guys also picked an excuse and stuck fully with it.

Human Shield said:
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
it's still not Bethesda's fault.
It is Bethesda's fault if we get a non-faithful sequel.

Entirely.

Vault Dweller said:
IF Beth went out of business, IF the license was for sale, IF 2 people were interested, LeFay and Cain, a guy who had nothing to do with TES and didn't give a shit about it, then definitely LeFay would have all the moral rights to the license.

And the onus of authorship courtesy would then be placed on Cain in turn. Let me explain the reason WHY this courtesy exists, from the days when people used to author by pen. It isn't because of the author's wishes, it is intended to be so for the integrity of the work and what was written previously. To ignore courtesy would also infer ignoring the important particulars of the piece, as generally the authors and those able to discern good design know how well deviating from the composition can in fact be disasterous to the future work.

You see, it doesn't make you popular with those you acquire licenses out from under, when they have worked on the title in the past and know the material. So it screws you over with your peers and potential co-workers, because there is nothing ethical about trying to take an author's work away from them. Yes, the license was rightfully bought, yadda yadda, but it doesn't make it moral or popular, and shouldn't be excused as such, either, so developers/publishers that might have NOTHING to do with either company take a look at the shit tricks that negatively reflect upon Bethesda in turn regardless of how Lowest Common Denominator they can stride for. It also doesn't make you popular with the fans/audience/people who follow the game series when you do something like that, either. Really, it's like the Hasbro acquiring MicroProse and denying the original authors from working on their own creation, to later have other development houses do it for cheaper and for crappy trendy design. Nobody really cared for what Hasbro did, either.

So it really boils down to business ethics also tying in with overall business stability, as this courtesy came about with the intellectual property in mind first and foremost. After all, it doesn't make much sense to willfully try to kill off a game series by disenfranchising its audience, unless that is what is truly intended.

Fintilgin: Good example, and as I have said it to the occasional Bethesda fanboy over at NMA who posts some "great brilliant amalgam of Fallout and TES" in regards as to how they want Fallout skullfucked for their own personal tastes, they probably wouldn't like it if TES suddenly had TB combat, speech that actually required you to think before replying and a lot of it*, isometric view, and many other things that made Fallout a P&P RPG and also made it clear that Bethesda still hasn't developed a real CRPG - just merely a few action-adventure titles, commonly referred to as "dungeon crawlers".

* - I was corrected on this. It seems that Bethesda fans have been wanting this since Daggerfall's mess of a speech system didn't improve any with Morrowind, and instead operated like a really hokey version of Ultima 7's speech system. Daggerfall's speech system was passable with Arena, but the fans weren't holding their breath since most of the remainder of the game was little more than an Random Number Generator fleshed out into an entire engine.

Human Shield said:
Writing - Troika person.
Design- Troika.
Characters - Troika.
Story - Troika.

Setting design and theme - Troika, since obviously those left at BIS didn't have a fucking clue at the time, right MCA, Feargus, etc? Chris Taylor also did a wonderful job of almost nothing for FOT, and what a wonderful FOT manual! Yes, the people at Interplay also did a wonderful job with F:POS. ;)

And, for that matter, include "designed to be a P&P RPG on computer" and the FULL Fallout title into Troika credit, because it became obvious that Feargus didn't understand what "P&P RPG" meant even years after the fact, and he was supposedly the division lead. But he did a wonderful job on the unfinished Boneyards, thus forever embodying his SLAM DUNK! development style. :D

Briosafreak said:
One thing though, if Troika found out Beth was in the game i don`t see how Beth wouldn´t know that troika was playing it too, but Beth always denied that, we´ll have to take their word for it then.

If they wanted the license and knew much about it (as they had claimed incessantly after getting the license), then Bethesda could have averted those ill feelings, the resentment of fans, and negative press by doing things the courteous way. Instead, it looks like they purposefully went for the license no matter what, and are now lying about it. Either they were ignorant about the license or they weren't, there is no "halfway" of ignorance being the excuse for one part, but they are such fans and know the title and have been following it for years! Yeah, right. Pick one, folks, and stick with it. Trying to reinvent your excuses is just pathetic.

And I have to finish this up with a nod to DarkSign. It looks like you are starting to get some sense about the industry. Too bad you learned the hard way, ironically, that using Fallout's name the way you did was similarly immoral in a development sense, but you're learning. Your comment about how we would consider Troika selling out would be a bit funny, since the fans were pretty okay with Troika handing Herve money over for developing Fallout 3. So with Bethesda's background support and Troika's design preferences and ability, it would have been win-win-win for Bethesda, fans, and Troika, even if it wasn't wholly what all the fans want in having the game like a P&P CRPG - as was Fallout designed for a purpose because any lame shit was getting RPG tacked onto it for having a stat system but no real role-playing value. But at least it would have stood a lesser chance of being skullfucked.

Now we have Fallout again in the hands of people who, with all indications with their spin-doctoring throwing up red warning strobes, look like they have the same understanding of Fallout that MicroForté did and the same desire for cheap console cash like Chuck Cuevas, but with a Lowest Common Denominator design style preference.

Fallout 3 = Fucked.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
kathode said:
Dhruin said:
Don't twist my words, kathode. I didn't say there was a bidding "war" - I said Troika couldn't find the finance to match Bethsoft's bid. I even clarified that I might have been wrong about the "last minute" bit.
Whatever word you're comfortable with, I'm just telling you I don't see how that's possible given the bid we got it for. I don't see that anyone has any proof at all that that's how things happened.
I don't get it, what's with the "oh but we paid so little for it, how on Earth could we ever have not been outbid" act?

10-QSB said:
Interplay SEC Filing

Interplay sold to Bethesda Softworks LLC, "Bethesda" the rights to develop FALLOUT 3 on all platforms for $1.175 million minimum guaranteed advance against royalties. Bethesda also has an option to develop two sequels, FALLOUT 4, and FALLOUT 5 for $1.0 million minimum guaranteed advance against royalties per sequel. Interplay retained the rights to develop a massively multiplayer online game ("MMORPG") using the Fallout Trademark.

Fallout 1 Credits
* Bold denotes an individual who worked on Fallout and who is also credited as working on Arcanum, ToEE or Bloodlines (IE: People who went on to become Troika Games).

Production
Producer - Timothy Cain
Asistant Producer - Fred Hatch
Division Director - Feargus Urquhart
Asst. Division Director - Jeremy S. Barnes
Original Producer - Thomas R. Decker
Production Assistant - Jason G. Suinn
Monkey Boy - Michael Green
Mac Assistance - Chris Benson
Additional Programming By - Mark Harrison (Lizard Byte), John D. Price, Chris DeSalvo, Mark Murakami

Art
Art Director - Leonard Boyarsky
Lead Artists - Jason D. Anderson, Leonard Boyarsky, Gary Platner
Artists - Robert Collier, Michael Dean, Tramell Ray saac, Eddie Rainwater, Scott Rodenhizer, Sharon Shellman
Additional Art By - Peter Kroko, Justin Sweet, Joseph Cesario, Cheryl Austin, Jay Esparza (Tachyon), Geoff Gregor, Arlene C. Somers, George Almond, Erik Jamison, Helena Wickberg, James Doyle (Apples Animation)
Clay Modeller - Scott Rodenhizer
Conceptual Artist - Anthony Postma

Design
Lead Designer - Christian Taylor
Designers - David Hendee, Scott Bennie, Brian Freyermuth, Scott Capbell
Technical Designer - Scott Everts
Additional Design By - Robert Hertenstein, Jess Heanig, Nick Kesting
Design/Dialogue - Mark O'Green
Original Game Design By - Timothy Cain, Leonard Boyarsky, Jason D. Anderson, Christian Taylor, Jason Taylor, Scott Campbell

Programming
Lead Programmers - Timothy Cain, Chris Jones
Programmers - Jesse Reynolds, Kevin Weatherman, Nick Kesting, Robert Hertenstein, Jess Heinig, Jason Taylor
Mac Programmer - Tim Hume
Movie Technology - Paul Allen Edelstein
Installer / Autoplay - Darren L. Monahan

Two Producers, 2 out of 3 lead artists, 2 artists, 3 (half) of the original game designers, all lead programmers and 1 additional programmer.

All in all 10 people out of aproximately 50 people but most importantly, this includes most - if not all - of the lead positions in design, programming, production and art.

Ausir

Arcane
The only one of the lead people missing is Chris Taylor who stayed at Interplay, but moved to the strategy division instead of Black Isle.

So, according to Volourn George Lucas can't be called the creator of Star Wars because he was just one member of the crew. He just helped 20th Century Fox make the first Star Wars.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Wow, I've never seen a thread reach 7 pages so quickly. I get up to get a cup of coffee, and boom! Anyways, unless somebody on the inside comes and tells us what went on, like Boyarksy or Cain, then we don't know how close Troika was to acquiring the lisence. I'm assuming they didn't have the capital to put out a bid on their own, or the Frenchman didn't have anyother bidders and was willing to let them use the lisence for a share for future profits. More likely Troika had to get a thrid party involved(i.e. publisher willing to spend the money), with all that entails. I've heard it takes months to cement a normal development deal, and that can fall apart at the last minute. If 3 parties had to all be on the same page, then Troika could have been months away from getting the lisence with its current backer, and if that fell through who knows how long it'd be before Troika could have gotten the lisence. So, knowing what little we know, I don't think its fair to say Beth stole the lisence or stopped Troika from getting it. Remember, Troika said they were working on 4 seperate projects before Bloodlines shipped, and all of those turned out to be dead ends. SP PC RPGs are a tough sell, legendary franchise or not. Has anyone grabbed the Baldur's Gate lisence yet? That one actually sold pretty well, and as far as I can remember, only the hack and slash console action spinoffs are being made.

I myself can take comfort in a couple of things--

1. Fallout is too good to be duplicated, as even Fallout 2 showed. Any modern attempt is going to have to do some "changing with the times", so the best anybody has to hope for is a good RPG, or even just a good game.

2. I like originality. There are just to many sequels out there as it is, and as much as I enjoyed Fallout, I'd think I'd get more enjoyment out of The Next Brilliant RPG over Fallout 3.

3. Now that Troika is out of business...well, wait a moment... maybe... Nope, this one is a bloody shame from which I can take no comfort. Troika made the best RPGs not from Black Isle, and were one of the few games in town. Now, I can only put some scant hope in Obsidian that Sith Lords was not the best they could do and NWN2 will be a quality RPG along the lines of what Troika and Black Isle did. The only saving grace might be that the talent went on to other companies to create great RPGs there, but I don't think thats whats happened.

I've said it before, blaming Beth for Troika's closing is a like blaming the barbarians for the Fall of Rome. Sure, they delivered the knock out, but Rome was holding on to an untenable existence. Likewise, Troika was trying to succeed as a SP PC RPG developer. Can anyone name another SP PC RPG developer on this continent? And Diablo clones don't count.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Wasn't Brian Fargo the Producer of Fallout 1? It was his vision and direction (With lead programmer Tim Cain & crew) that created the Fallout series. The printed manual that came with Fallout 1 does however have Brian Fargo's name missing in the credits. It states Tim Cain as Producer (I do however have an origional manual). However the game when starting claims Brian Fargo as the producer.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
Jaesun said:
Wasn't Brian Fargo the Producer of Fallout 1? It was his vision and direction (With lead programmer Tim Cain & crew) that created the Fallout series. The printed manual that came with Fallout 1 does however have Brian Fargo's name missing in the credits. It states Tim Cain as Producer (I do however have an origional manual). However the game when starting claims Brian Fargo as the producer.

I think Brian Fargo was just in charge of Interplay at that time. As such he was more of a big picture guy then somebody actually developing or designing the game.

Kuato

Liturgist
Lets look at what Interplay did to Fallout after the Troika crew left has anyone ever heard of Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel

Black Isle in the last days had an internal Fallout project of their own, maybe someone at Interplay would have rather wanted the Fallout license go into Bethesdas hands than losing it to Troika it may sound far fetched but what are the odds there might still have been some bad blood somewhere between Troika and Interplay.

Ausir

Arcane
Brian Fargo was indeed only the publisher of the game as the head of Interplay, he didn't have anything to do with the actual development of the game.

Briosafreak

Augur
GreatAtlantic the story i posted, and what Saint and Dhruin posted are pretty much correct, we`ve been confirming the facts for some time. I`ll get on the "who made Fallout" issue later, but first i`m trying to understand why Kathode is so jumpy regarding these issues, i don`t quite follow what he's trying to state, i'm sure he can make it a bit more clear.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Talk about not being able to get over stuff. Yeah, it sucks troika is gone. Still, it's been months since this happened, if the only interesting discussion on the codex is about stuff that happened way back, then I worry about the rpg genre. The bashing of Bethesda is lame though, looks eerily like 3 year old screaming in the supermarket because they didn't get what they wanted.

Slylandro

Scholar
Does Troika (or its members I guess) have the rights to Arcanum still? I know from interviews that they'd make a sequel if they had the money, which I'm hoping could happen if they get a new footing.

Jinxed

Liturgist
Slylandro said:
Does Troika (or its members I guess) have the rights to Arcanum still? I know from interviews that they'd make a sequel if they had the money, which I'm hoping could happen if they get a new footing.

Is this your first time on the internet?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom