Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Truckload of new Oblivion screens at AG.ru

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Whipporowill said:
Graphics looks good, albeit not as flashy as in official screenies - ruskies graphic card not up to par, or just showcased on a ridiculous superior machine earlier.
Balor posted the specs in another thread:

"Test machine:
P4 3.4 GHz, 2 Gb RAM, GeForce 6800 c 256 Mb, with all settings maxed out and resolution 1024x768 averaged about 20 FPS outdoors and noticeably more indoors.
Of course, it's a month old beta, yet... prepare to sell your kiddies for organs and your wives into slavery - you'll need FAST rig for this game. "

Whipporowill

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Whipporowill said:
Graphics looks good, albeit not as flashy as in official screenies - ruskies graphic card not up to par, or just showcased on a ridiculous superior machine earlier.
Balor posted the specs in another thread:

"Test machine:
P4 3.4 GHz, 2 Gb RAM, GeForce 6800 c 256 Mb, with all settings maxed out and resolution 1024x768 averaged about 20 FPS outdoors and noticeably more indoors.
Of course, it's a month old beta, yet... prepare to sell your kiddies for organs and your wives into slavery - you'll need FAST rig for this game. "

Holy crap. That makes you wonder what monster Beth & Todd showcased the game on in that looong gameplay movie that went around recently. That went pretty smooth...

Whipporowill

Erudite

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer

LlamaGod

Cipher
Hey cool, now the game has orange versions of Barney.

barny.jpg

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
You all seem to be a bit overly critical. Like you're trying to hate it. D=

Chefe

Erudite
micmu said:
Wow, now look at that. Since when do Argonian females have curvy chest? Are according to Bethesda lizards now mammals? :)

I was talking about that thing's fucked up face and humanlike hands.

I didn't even notice the lizard had tits. Instead of spending so much time in soil erosion class, the Bethesda schoolboys should have took a few courses in the difference between mammals and reptiles.

What the fuck is going on?

Did you just say that was an Argonian...??

Twinfalls

Erudite
What's gone on is that where they had seperate meshes for the beast races in MW, now they have one mesh only for all races of each sex - meaning two character meshes for the entire game.

The dialogue looks..... painfully simple. This is going to kill it for me, if the dialogue we've seen (heard) on the e3 demo and these screenies are representative.

Chefe

Erudite
Twinfalls said:
What's gone on is that where they had seperate meshes for the beast races in MW, now they have one mesh only for all races of each sex - meaning two character meshes for the entire game.

That doesn't make sense. I thought they were focusing on visuals this time around. I mean, they've gotten rid of so many things in the game I would expect top-tier visuals. They can't have only two character meshes for the entire game. They just can't. It doesn't make sense. How could it come to this especially given their priorities?

Fintilgin

Educated
Okay. By the standards of the Codex (hell, by the standard of the offical forums) I'm an Elder Scrolls fanboy. Some of those screenshots were mind-blowingly cool. I especially liked the one where it looked like the Emperor was running away and looking back over his shoulder. That's damn cool.

But you can add me to the host that is going to be seriously pissed if we PC users get stuck with a God DAMNED 256pt font, massivly oversized, console port interface, ala Deus Ex 2.

We don't need huge text. I mean look at this screenshot. This is designed to be seen on a TV from across the room. Look how many items you can see. Six. Seriously. Six items.

Now look at Morrowind. This was running at 1600x1200. Look at how much more efficently the screen space is used. I can see, what, about 130 items? If I filled up my inventory there, I could have around 250 on the screen at once. That's FOURTY FRIGGIN' ONE times what Oblivion is running.

I did a crude photoshop of the Oblivion interface to make it a bit more PC friendly.

Now dosn't that look more like something you might play on your PC? Honestly I never felt like Morrowind was a port, and that gave me a lot of faith in Bethesda, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to say the same thing about Oblivion.

Seriously, why can' companies be bothered to spend that bit of extra effort on their PC interfaces? What are we? Chopped liver?*

*(These are rhetorical questions. Duh.)

Twinfalls

Erudite
The outfit your character's wearing in that Morrowind shot is hysterical.

Fintilgin

Educated
Twinfalls said:
The outfit your character's wearing in that Morrowind shot is hysterical.

It's a bit... odd, isn't it? :D I always went more for efficency then looks, and that's the best stuff I had at that point. Normally of course I had an enchanted robe over it all, but I took it off for that screenshot for some reason I don't remember.

Jinxed

Liturgist
The writing was fine in Morrowind IIRC.

Why is it that hard to make an option to adjust font size anyway? It's a seperate 2d element.

Chefe

Erudite
Fintilgin said:
I did a crude photoshop of the Oblivion interface to make it a bit more PC friendly.

Hey, that's pretty cool. The interface looks really freakin' good like that.

Fintilgin

Educated
Chefe said:
Hey, that's pretty cool. The interface looks really freakin' good like that.

Thanks, but I imagine it would look even better if it had been designed that way from the ground up instead of being a thirty-second photoshop. :P

I'm not asking for hundreds of items on screen like Morrowind, but I'd damn well like a few more than six. Six is, IMHO, some sort of sick joke.

geminito

Liturgist
The more I see about Oblivion, the more similar it seems to Morrowind. Face it: If you liked Morrowind, you will like Oblivion. I don't expect (or notice) major changes.

I loved Morrowind. I see the flaws, but they didn't ruin the game for me. So there's my point of view. FANBOI FTW LOLLERPOPS!!11

Fallout 2 was horribly buggy and full of flaws, but I still love it. I could not complete some quests because of bugs, and my car didn't have a trunk after a certain point. That's crap. But I still play it.

Oblvion looks better and has some improvements. Combat has more variety, but still looks like the Morrowind combat system. Alchemy seems nearly identical. Spell-casting looks 95% the same. And so on.

Oblivion = Morrowind++

I'm happy about it because I loved Morrowind. Others who didn't like Morrowind will be disappointed.

That's my not-so-bold prediction.

Cheers!

ps, Yes, the 48pt font is crazy stoopid. I refuse to believe that it will be like that in the PC version. It can't be. Of all Bethesda's playtesters, didn't one or two of them make a criticism? Please?

Twinfalls

Erudite
Titties on the Argonians isn't a new thing - here's a Daggerfall shot:

brendan_df-fem.jpg

Though they were certainly less pronounced and less human-looking overall in Morrowind (who had their own mesh rather than sharing the ONE same mesh as every other NPC)

Personally, I'd like to see something more like this:

fasttimes.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom