Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Truckload of new Oblivion screens at AG.ru

Fresh

Erudite
Haha, that's one sexy-ass lizard.

About the oversized UI.. It´sure would be nice to have MSFD come in here and confirm it can be resized somehow. Although i kinda suspect this might be one of those doh-moments in gaming history.

EDIT: The inventory reminds me of how the fun I had scrolling through 100s of items in KOTOR.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
The Argonian females in Daggerfall had breasts but lacked nipples. That blew me away.

But goodness, I hope Rheed comes to the rescue if that is how the Argonians look like.

Micmu

Magister
I doubt that Rhedd or anyone else could remodel the heads now. They're using Facegen middleware to handle faces and I seriously seriously doubt that base head model can be replaced without hax0ring and asking for lawsuit. Even then, how to "incorporate" it into Facegen...
I think you're now stuck with faces Bethesda has made.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Oh, for fucks sake. These screens look great, yet again, the same old people that moan and groan about every game find something to complain about. Fuck it, the codex really is losing its shine these days. Discussions about game design, the news page , interesting articles and talking about what is/can be great in games is fun. This endless drivel and complaining is not. The codex seems to be too stuck in the "angry cunt" thing, the gimmick is getting a bit tired guys.

These screens are fucking beautifull. That fond could be a bit smaller, and an option to do so would be nice. A dialogue screen would make my day. That horse and its rider makes me hope that these guys played mount & blade and actually learned something from it. Something positive and alltogether rewarding on this site would be a fresh change.

Atrokkus

Erudite
I agree about complaining and angrycunting, Trash.

We're waiting for the second part of the preview, when the guys at AG.ru, I hope, get to the dialogs and actually describe the system. For me, the only thing that is going to make me either love or ignore the game is dialogs, because everything else is good enough for me.

Fintilgin

Educated
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Drakron said:
Oblivion is a port.

No it's not. Or do you think we had Xbox 360 dev kits when we started working on it 3 years ago?

Well, of course just because you didn't have the dev kits dosen't mean that some elements like the UI weren't designed from the ground up to look and play best on a console. A conceptual port if not a literal one. Even if it wasn't directly ported it looks quite plain that the XBox was intended as the 'primary' platform the game was designed around (at least as far as UI goes). I suspect there are quite a few XBox 360 only games that were in some form of development before the dev kits were readily available.

I remember Ion Storms made some comments when PC users complained about the giant font and awkward PC interface in DX:IW that people were just 'whining about font size', it wasn't a port they said, it was exactly the same on both platforms. But it was clearly designed with the XBox in mind as the base platform. Hell, the PC version accidently shipped with XBox settings in the .ini file.

Seriously, how can anyone say that inch high letters and a maximum display of six items at once isn't meant to be viewed on a televison? If that's what the PC gamers are stuck with then how can we help feeling like Bethesda couldn't be bothered to give the PC version the same focus and attention as the console version? Interfaces that are easy and intuitive on a control pad from across the room, like DX:IW or KOTOR feel awkward, clunky, and poorly sized when playing with a mouse from 18 inches away. I just don't want to see Oblivion wind up in the same pile of: "It's NOT a port!! Honest! (It was just primarilly designed with the limitations and display needs of the XBox in mind.)"

Trash said:
This endless drivel and complaining is not. The codex seems to be too stuck in the "angry cunt" thing, the gimmick is getting a bit tired guys.

Hey, I think the game's going to be great. I'm really excited about it. But I think wanting a interface that makes sense for the PC is a legitimate complaint. (I could care less about ugly argonians or whatever.)

Tintin

Arbiter
"It's NOT a port!! Honest! (It was just primarilly designed with the limitations and display needs of the XBox in mind.)"

It's being designed for both system, and Xbox being one of them, they had to impose some limitations that were required for Xbox users. That doesn't necessarily make it a port. Morrowind for Xbox was a port. I don't think we can call Oblivion the same thing.

Yes, they could have spent some time resizing the overly huge font. And who knows, bitching about the forced reloading worked, maybe the playtesters will bitch about the font size too.

Fintilgin

Educated
Tintin said:
It's being designed for both system, and Xbox being one of them, they had to impose some limitations that were required for Xbox users. That doesn't necessarily make it a port. Morrowind for Xbox was a port. I don't think we can call Oblivion the same thing.

Port may not be quite the right term. The problem is more that the PC interface was shafted. To use some excessive hyperbole, if a game was designed for both a modern PC and a Commodore 64 it might not be a port, but it would feel like a C64 game.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Hey, I think the game's going to be great. I'm really excited about it. But I think wanting a interface that makes sense for the PC is a legitimate complaint. (I could care less about ugly argonians or whatever.)

Have a look around here, check the forums, see the little snide remarks at the news section and you'll know what I was talking about. This site could do with some more interesting reviews, articles and previews instead of the same old people doing the same old trick. Still, al my inane drivel aside, I too hope the fonts and inventory will be a bit more pc friendly. That kotor inventory still gives me nightmares.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Trash said:
Oh, for fucks sake. These screens look great, yet again, the same old people that moan and groan about every game find something to complain about. ...

These screens are fucking beautifull.
Who gives a shit? The prettiness of MW/OB was never an issue, the role-playing qualities were. Myst was also pretty, so?

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I'm sure you can tell the roleplaying qualities from this title from these screens, but I sure as hell don't. No dialogue screen to see and just one mundane sounding quest to see in that journal. All there is to talk about is the graphics (not even the animations, somethin that sucked in mw) and these are great, yet again the same old people rehash the same old crotchety shit in slighty different posts. Moan, moan, moan. Read my post again, think about it and then continue as usual. Not as if I expect anything different as you didn't even got the courtsey to repley to the whole of my post, only two chosen sentences. Internet dialogue at its best.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Until I get my hands on the game and give it a try myself, I won't judge its RP-value. However, I may predict a disappointment beforehand, based on the preview/review information. Basically, that's what most of people here doing - predicting the disappointment.

Barghest

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
mEtaLL1x said:
Until I get my hands on the game and give it a try myself, I won't judge its RP-value. However, I may predict a disappointment beforehand, based on the preview/review information. Basically, that's what most of people here doing - predicting the disappointment.

If we expect the worse, we may be surprised if OB turns out well. I would be seriously annoyed if the 'Codex started kissing arse, and not pointing out the OBVIOUS bloody flaws!

Why are they keeping quiet about the retard-sized fonts on the PC version?

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Chefe said:
Fintilgin said:
I did a crude photoshop of the Oblivion interface to make it a bit more PC friendly.

Hey, that's pretty cool. The interface looks really freakin' good like that.

Thats how I expected it would scale. I'm not giving up hope yet.

Fintilgin

Educated
Trash said:
Have a look around here, check the forums, see the little snide remarks at the news section and you'll know what I was talking about. This site could do with some more interesting reviews, articles and previews instead of the same old people doing the same old trick.

Yeah, the Codex can be a bit... much. I often think of it as the 'Rabid Chihuahua' of RPG sites. It thinks it's much bigger and more powerfull then it is and it's filled with insane, repetitive barking at everything that moves. You could, I suppose, extend the analogy to a whole pack of rabid chihuahuas, but let's not get carried away.

On the other hand the place does have a certain charm of its own. It might be refreshing to see the place grow up a bit, but we do keep coming back, don't we? Anyway, we're heading into a huge derail here, and I, personally, would rather talk about Oblivion in this thread and save anything Codex related for another.

crpgnut

Augur
Not to add to the bashing, but does anyone think it's ironic that a non-English site/magazine got the exclusive in-depth look at the game? It seems weird that a country that will sell <2% of retail copies of Oblivion got such a scoop. It still seems like Bethesda doesn't want the American press to see much of this game before release. I mean the game is due out in a little over a month!

Other than that gripe, I found the screens to be pretty. Oblivion is going to look nice. One mistake that's made my most face generators is that males tend to have a shadow where there beard and mustache would be. Even a clean-shaven male has a certain rougher texture to his face than any of these pics show. All the men look like eunuchs.

I agree with the font gripe 100%. It doesn't destroy the game, but it would lower a graphical rating in a magazine from a 10 down to a 9. PC users want detail. Hopefully this is configurable. Bethesda would be moronic to lock in that font size for PC owners, but do they give a shit about the pc market this time?

I'm surprised MSFD isn't bitching about the Argonians. These Argonians look like pussies. They're a beast race. BEAST! Maybe Christiane drew the Argonians so MSFD can't say anything if he wants peace in the household. MSFD played as an Argonian primarily in Morrowind.

The architecture is fantastic!!!

Fintilgin

Educated
crpgnut said:
Not to add to the bashing, but does anyone think it's ironic that a non-English site/magazine got the exclusive in-depth look at the game? It seems weird that a country that will sell <2% of retail copies of Oblivion got such a scoop. It still seems like Bethesda doesn't want the American press to see much of this game before release. I mean the game is due out in a little over a month!

It's weird. These German and Russian sites always seem to be getting those sorts of previews. I wonder if it's just more expected in the press over there to be able to have such a look or if it's more along the lines that the foreign arm of Take 2 or whatever is more willing to distribute sample builds and it's a bit less up to Bethesda's control then it is over here.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Yeah, the Codex can be a bit... much. I often think of it as the 'Rabid Chihuahua' of RPG sites. It thinks it's much bigger and more powerfull then it is and it's filled with insane, repetitive barking at everything that moves. You could, I suppose, extend the analogy to a whole pack of rabid chihuahuas, but let's not get carried away.

Hahaha, that was great. Thanks, you just made my day.

It might be refreshing to see the place grow up a bit, but we do keep coming back, don't we?

Sure do, mainly because of the news and the occasional interesting threads. I do like rpgs after all.

Anyway, we're heading into a huge derail here, and I, personally, would rather talk about Oblivion in this thread and save anything Codex related for another.

True. Personally I never really liked mw. The graphics were great, but the mundane dialogue system and the feeling that my pc never really made much of a difference kinda put me off. Oblivion certainly looks great, if they manage to improve the dialogue and quests, I'm a happy camper. Though I predict that the game will most likely not be my cupatea.

Atrokkus

Erudite
t's weird. These German and Russian sites always seem to be getting those sorts of previews. I wonder if it's just more expected in the press over there to be able to have such a look or if it's more along the lines that the foreign arm of Take 2 or whatever is more willing to distribute sample builds and it's a bit less up to Bethesda's control then it is over here.
I find the situation similar to the music industry, in which Japan gets the most exclusive releases etc.
In our case, it is yet to be determined what stands behind this preview, how the copy was obtained etc. Odds are AG.ru just bought the rights to present this copy as exclusive material. Or Bethesda is interested in that because it might enhance the sales in Russia/CIS and probably decrease the pirate share, but I doubt that.

Fintilgin

Educated
Trash said:
True. Personally I never really liked mw. The graphics were great, but the mundane dialogue system and the feeling that my pc never really made much of a difference kinda put me off. Oblivion certainly looks great, if they manage to improve the dialogue and quests, I'm a happy camper. Though I predict that the game will most likely not be my cupatea.

I really loved Morrowind. But the Elder Scrolls games are more closely related to something like Nethack then the Fallout/Arcanum type games. They aren't really about talking and deep character interaction. At heart they're about tooling around a huge fantasy world killing shit and loading up on loot. A fantasy sandbox, if you will. Exploration, too. Exploration is one of the big appeals. The abillity to just take off wandering and keep finding new places and treasures seems to hold endless fun for me.

I can see why they don't appeal to everyone, though, and I certainly would like to see deeper dialogue and quests.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Trash said:
I'm sure you can tell the roleplaying qualities from this title from these screens, but I sure as hell don't.
First, I didn't claim that I could judge the game by the screens. I can, however, judge it by the available info: no climbing over walls, no levitating, dumbed down skills, less of everything, etc. Second, these screens do tell a lot. The size of the font shows that NPCs don't have a lot to say because a lot won't fit. Maybe we can minimize the font on PCs, but that wouldn't add more text, would it? I was surprised before when they mentioned that every line is recorded, that's impossible with "real" dialogues, but looking at those one-liners, it makes perfect sense.

....yet again the same old people rehash the same old crotchety shit in slighty different posts. Moan, moan, moan.
Maybe so. Works both ways though, the same old people moan about the same old things: why do you guys are bitching about this awesome game when the screens look so great, bla-bla-bla.... Never gets old, does it?

And the play continues, I'll play the part of a grumpy old man bitching about everything, and you'll play the part of a naive youth who doesn't think much and likes his pretty pictures. And.....action!

Vault Dweller

Developer
Fintilgin said:
I really loved Morrowind. But the Elder Scrolls games are more closely related to something like Nethack then the Fallout/Arcanum type games. They aren't really about talking and deep character interaction. At heart they're about tooling around a huge fantasy world killing shit and loading up on loot. A fantasy sandbox, if you will. Exploration, too. Exploration is one of the big appeals. The abillity to just take off wandering and keep finding new places and treasures seems to hold endless fun for me.
Good for you, dear. Now, it's true that dialogues aren't TES games thing, although the dialogues in DF and even in MW were of much better quality than what we've seen on those screens. It's also true that playing in the sandbox was the core of the gameplay. However, the difference between DF, MW, and OB is the number of different ways to play and interact with the environment. I'm playing DF now and the number of options is amazing. Dungeons had walls one could climb, giant halls to levitate, open pits to jump over, underwater areas, etc. The variety of characters was great. Sadly, that no longer applies to OB, and that's my point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom