Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny Pre-Release Thread

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Well. Good thing some of us are working on bronze age - inspired games then. ;)

Ignatius Reilly

Scholar
Just did Paradox a favor and pre-ordered. Day9 is a good salesman. I will probably have 1/4th as much fun as he had, and that's not bad. Someone mark this decline.

Actually it was the art. The art in this game is fucking great. The style is very slick. Want to explore every inch of the place. And that guy covered in metal. Hell yeah!

I don't think this game will sell well at all, however. Their tag line was terrible. Just call it, "The next game from those guys who made Pillars." Even if that's only half true.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
Poles can get a physical copy (with the steam key) for a little less than the cheapest digital one costs on gog. Real artbook and soundtrack CD will be attached, though. So you won't pay for a .jpg package and ringtones.

Also, the box looks nice.

Last edited:

mitochondritom

Educated
I was having a similar discussion elsewhere about how not Bronze Age like the setting is and it was pointed out to me that the Greco-roman period is considered to be the Bronze and Iron age also. This makes sense to me and I wonder why they don't just say inspired by Greece. Maybe because that sounds too generic.

Hyperion

Arcane
Probably because suggesting Greece, or the Greco-Roman period specifies a particular place and architectural style. This allows them to specify the time, but utilize different cultures.

Neanderthal

Arcane
In my opinion they'd a been better goin for one o distinctive an interestin aesthetics o Bronze Age rather than DA2 style shit they've gone wi, fuck me you had one o most interestin an distinctive periods o history, wi great architecture, arms an armour, art styles, philosophies an all that good stuff. Instead they've gone wi standard boring fantasy schlock we've seen hundred times again.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
In my opinion they'd a been better goin for one o distinctive an interestin aesthetics o Bronze Age rather than DA2 style shit they've gone wi, fuck me you had one o most interestin an distinctive periods o history, wi great architecture, arms an armour, art styles, philosophies an all that good stuff. Instead they've gone wi standard boring fantasy schlock we've seen hundred times again.

I don't see how the architecture is DA2? DA2 is just run-off-the-mill medieval, while this looks fairly bronze age to me (to nitpick those barrels look early modern, bronze age people wouldn't use wooden barrels but clay pots). Bronze age wasn't hanging gardens and ziggurats everywhere, this is exactly why I said I find it boring, because for the most part aside from certain forts and palaces, it's basically plain architecture. At least what we have surviving in Mesopotamia and Anatolia. The clothing was also fairly plain (again what we have surviving or depicted), except for some arms and armour which were quite interesting.

Philosophy, power dynamics and metalurgy seems to be present, which is the most interesting aspect of Bronze age if you are not going to make it historical. Historical bronze age of course has very interesting civilisations and politics.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Art styles shit like DA2, look at all them crappy posters. Dunt look Bronze Age at all to me, just looks like standard fantasy shit we've seen loadsa times afore, at least Bronze Age were fuckin different wi diffeent clothing, all them Minoan pots that spread around Med at that time, them great cities that were uncovered by famous architects an are so different from what we usually see in games. I'd love to see Lion Gates o Mycenae, sloping walls o Troy, Knossos when it still stood whole and awe inspiring, folk wearin face masks that Schlieman thought were Agamemnons, Corinthian helms, Hoplite shields with their distinctive painted covers, wall paintings o Greeks, an all that great distinctive stuff. Lost opportunity to take advantage o one o most interesting periiods in history.

FreeKaner

Art styles shit like DA2, look at all them crappy posters.

Oh you mean the drawing, yeah I suppose they could be a bit more, well, distinct.

Dunt look Bronze Age at all to me, just looks like standard fantasy shit we've seen loadsa times afore, at least Bronze Age were fuckin different wi diffeent clothing, all them Minoan pots that spread around Med at that time, them great cities that were uncovered by famous architects an are so different from what we usually see in games. I'd love to see Lion Gates o Mycenae, sloping walls o Troy, Knossos when it still stood whole and awe inspiring, folk wearin face masks that Schlieman thought were Agamemnons, Corinthian helms, Hoplite shields with their distinctive painted covers, wall paintings o Greeks, an all that great distinctive stuff. Lost opportunity to take advantage o one o most interesting periiods in history.

See, those great cities are mostly plain architecture like in that screenshot I posted, you are talking about architecture of note, the famous lion gates or gates of hittite capital, the ziggurats, forts and palaces of Mesopotamia, the libraries of Assyria and towers of Babylon are all rare sights. Most buildings would be like the picture you see there, in fact I am surprised they represented the unique feature of some bronze age cities that had pseudo-balconies and several levels. I'd wait a little bit to see what buildings of note look like and whether we will see cool temples, fortresses and palaces.

I agree though the armours seem to be definitely lacking, bronze age was much more colourful and distinct, that part is a shame. There seems to be a lot of masked figures however and it seems Kyros' disfavoured is unique for wearing iron armour, which is a nice touch.

Neanderthal

Arcane
you are talking about architecture of note, the famous lion gates or gates of hittite capital, the ziggurats, forts and palaces of Mesopotamia, the libraries of Assyria and towers of Babylon are all rare sights.

Yeah take advantage o great architecture o period, seems obvious to me.

FreeKaner

you are talking about architecture of note, the famous lion gates or gates of hittite capital, the ziggurats, forts and palaces of Mesopotamia, the libraries of Assyria and towers of Babylon are all rare sights.

I definitely agree on that front but the picture I posted above is textbook bronze architecture, see this reconstruction for example:

Yj2xv7W.jpg

This illustration also:

69NcHyl.jpg

So they didn't merely got "influenced" by it but straight up copied these. We will see if they also have done impressive temples, fortresses and palaces but for ordinary housing looks very bronze age.

Sannom

Augur
New developer's diary, and presumably the last one about companions, this time we learn about Sirin :

https://blog.tyrannygame.com/2016/11/01/dev-diary-13-sirin/

Apparently she is closely related to Pillars of Eternity's Chanter, at least mechanically : she has songs that gives passive bonuses or hexes, and as she sings, she gains a resource which enables her to use powerful active abilities, called Arias. Her songs are gained automatically as she levels up and her talent trees represent two different ways she can use Arias : the "Peace" tree, which gives her access to powerful buffs and counters, and the "War" tree, which is all about hurting her foes.

Sizzle

Arcane
I know they said those would be the only companions, but there was a part in the Spires stream where you could assemble the parts of Cairn, Archon of Stone.

It would be neat if it turns out you could somehow rebuild him, sorta like a KoTOR 2's HK-47-esque hidden NPC.

FreeKaner

Apparently she is closely related to Pillars of Eternity's Chanter, at least mechanically : she has songs that gives passive bonuses or hexes, and as she sings, she gains a resource which enables her to use powerful active abilities, called Arias. Her songs are gained automatically as she levels up and her talent trees represent two different ways she can use Arias : the "Peace" tree, which gives her access to powerful buffs and counters, and the "War" tree, which is all about hurting her foes.

Hope she will have this in her repertoire, especially while we are executing prisoners.

Neanderthal

Arcane

I definitely agree on that front but the picture I posted above is textbook bronze architecture, see this reconstruction for example:

Yj2xv7W.jpg

This illustration also:

69NcHyl.jpg

So they didn't merely got "influenced" by it but straight up copied these. We will see if they also have done impressive temples, fortresses and palaces but for ordinary housing looks very bronze age.

Look at what we saw on a besieged fortress from early gameplay demos though, bog standard fantasy shit, nowt as interestin as above two examples. In fact I thought seein them Spires were a nice change from dull generic look that rest o games seemin to go for.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom