Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima Ultima VII help

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Try Ultima VII-2. it's much better written.
If you're not a story or lore-explore fag the game is wasted on you, just so you know.

Edit: Disregard what I said; if you can't figure everything , including the controls, out without a manual then I'm disappointed in today's 15-year olds! In my days we'd play pirated games with no manual and simply mash every button on the keyboard until we beat the game- including those with complex controls like Tie Fighter and Privateer.

Divinity: Original Sin
If you're not a story or lore-explore fag the game is wasted on you, just so you know.

Edit: Disregard what I said; if you can't figure everything , including the controls, out without a manual then I'm disappointed in today's 15-year olds! In my days we'd play pirated games with no manual and simply mash every button on the keyboard until we beat the game- including those with complex controls like Tie Fighter and Privateer.

We literally pressed every button.

This reminds me of the time when I got the first prince of persia. Pirated copy. How to draw the sword if you sheathed it? I didn't know what the fuck was that room with all potions with letters (sometimes had to guess right) until I found an .txt file with a table with answers. After the copy protection barrier was dealt with, I played the game and finished it after a lot of tries - one solution even came literally in my dream, which I recall to this day, so obsessed I was with that game - and only years after playing it I discovered there was a saving system in that game.

X-wing on the other hand I played using a mouse, those old one with a ball under it. I was quite good with it. Like a fricction toy car.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Good times, bro. I had like 20 of these ball mice. They always got filthy after a while and you had to scratch off the grime with your fingernails...

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Any way of getting rid of the jerky camera movement? That's my only gripe with this game, how the walkspeed is inconsistent and the camera pans like the IE6 scroll.

deamento

Scholar

I love story, it's a big selling point for me.
The problem is that, after 1.5 hours i was still exploring (i was still in the first city) , exploration is not rewarding for me at all.
the only time i want to explore in a game is when i want to get gear or i want to know more about the world.
To be honest i don't really use the manual except for reading the backstory, the reason why i made this thread in the first place is because opening the inventory is obtuse and the fact that i hate it when games don't tell me what the armor i'm wearing does.

Divinity: Original Sin
Swen would be very disappointed
hehe
i really wanted to like this game, but i just got bored.

Well, there's the fact I played ultima IV, Underworld 1 and 2 and 8 before Ultima 7. So when I played ultima 7, I've already known the characters, lore and setting of ultima. I believe at the time that was something that made me enjoy the game.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
If you don't like exploring then Ultima 7 is not for you.
7-2 is a bit more linear; have you tried that?

But exploring is a big part of the appeal of these games. If you don't like exploring then you probably shouldn't bother.
To me it seems odd to play an RPG and not find exploration appealing.

Must be a 5-digit thing.
:smug:

deamento

Scholar
If you don't like exploring then Ultima 7 is not for you.
7-2 is a bit more linear; have you tried that?

But exploring is a big part of the appeal of these games. If you don't like exploring then you probably shouldn't bother.
To me it seems odd to play an RPG and not find exploration appealing.
I don't like exploring in that game because it's not rewarding, if i explore it's because i want loot or i want to find out more about the world.
from what i heard the combat is shit, so loot is no reason to explore.
The only reason i continued playing for 1.5 hours is because i thought the world would get more interesting, that wans't the case sadly.
But then again, i was still in the first town, reloading saves because i was just stealing shit at random.
does the game get better if you just follow the main story?

Must be a 5-digit thing.
:smug:
5-digits, unite!
:fight:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Like I said, Ultima VII-2 has a pretty great story and is worth playing for the story. Ultima VII is much weaker in this regard.

But that said...

The reward for me in exploration isn't loot- though there certainly is loot in both games: hidden keys, gems, reagents, treasure, gold bars, muskets, magic weapons- it's in finding stories. What do I mean?

* find a camp of bandits in the woods
* meet a hunter out in the wild
* find an abandoned fire in the middle of nowhere, with a journal explaining what happened there
* come across a mysterious site of devastation and try to piece together what happened from the environmental clues
* find a cool monster you wouldn't otherwise meet at this point in the game
* find a treasure map and follow it, reap the reward
* find out that the this guy is cheating on his wife, just by stalking him about time
* figure out other people's dirty secrets
* explore abandoned ruins and find clues about their inhabitants and how they lived

It's... a narrative kind of thing. You explore for the joy of finding stories. Stories in Ultima 7 and 7-2 are everywhere, you just need to look. Or that's how I remember it...

deamento

Scholar
Like I said, Ultima VII-2 has a pretty great story and is worth playing for the story. Ultima VII is much weaker in this regard.

But that said...

The reward for me in exploration isn't loot- though there certainly is loot in both games: hidden keys, gems, reagents, treasure, gold bars, muskets, magic weapons- it's in finding stories. What do I mean?

* find a camp of bandits in the woods
* meet a hunter out in the wild
* find an abandoned fire in the middle of nowhere, with a journal explaining what happened there
* come across a mysterious site of devastation and try to piece together what happened from the environmental clues
* find a cool monster you wouldn't otherwise meet at this point in the game
* find a treasure map and follow it, reap the reward
* find out that the this guy is cheating on his wife, just by stalking him about time
* figure out other people's dirty secrets
* explore abandoned ruins and find clues about their inhabitants and how they lived

It's... a narrative kind of thing. You explore for the joy of finding stories. Stories in Ultima 7 and 7-2 are everywhere, you just need to look. Or that's how I remember it...
and you sold me on the game again, thank you
:bravo:
i'll probably give it another try during a vacation.
as you probably know now i'm 15yrs old and going to school, the problem is that since my school is pretty far from where i live, i have about 4 hours to spend during work/school days at home (because my busdriver sucks, but that's beside the point). then take 2 hours from that to make homework and study for tests, i have 2 hours a day to play games, and 2 hours a day to play a game where story is the most important part just isn't a good idea

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Look, don't force yourself, man. Not every game appeals to everyone. And sometimes you don't even like a good game, even though you should. I keep trying to get people to like PS:T or Fallout but they just don't do it for some. It's just the way of life.

Also like I said, I'd try 7-2 over 7. It's a little more linear but in return, more tightly written. It also is one of the few games that... massive spoilers, don't read unless you, like me, don't really care about spoilers:

...has the balls to kill off 80% of the NPCs you meet and make you walk through blood-soaked towns filled with corpses.

deamento

Scholar
Look, don't force yourself, man. Not every game appeals to everyone. And sometimes you don't even like a good game, even though you should. I keep trying to get people to like PS:T or Fallout but they just don't do it for some. It's just the way of life.
not forcing myself at all, i quit the game because there was nothing interesting going on, yeah the murder bussines is there but it's the main quest, i haven't played a game that had such a great main quest that it excused anything else (with maybe the exception of PS:T), so i was kinda skeptical.
but after i read
find an abandoned fire in the middle of nowhere, with a journal explaining what happened there
come across a mysterious site of devastation and try to piece together what happened from the environmental clues
explore abandoned ruins and find clues about their inhabitants and how they lived
i knew i had to play it.
Also like I said, I'd try 7-2 over 7. It's a little more linear but in return, more tightly written. It also is one of the few games that... massive spoilers, don't read unless you, like me, don't really care about spoilers:

...has the balls to kill off 80% of the NPCs you meet and make you walk through blood-soaked towns filled with corpses.
that's pretty fucking dark
There's only one game that kind of did this, but not as ballsy: the witcher 2 near the end of act 2 if you chose to go with vernon roche

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
You really should skip VII and go straight to VII-2: Serpent Isle. I played them both and the story in VII isn't going to keep you going- unless you enjoy Origin making fun of EA for the entire game. (Ultima VII is basically their way of saying: fuck you, EA. We know you'll buy us soon, but we hate you and we make no secret of it. You are going to kill us.)

7-2 is a very dark game, with an inhospitable mood.

Gord

Arcane

If I understood correctly you haven't even left Trinsic yet, so my reccommendation would be to play at least one or two more hours after you have left the 1st town. You can try following Elizabeth and Abraham (again, EA...) for a while if you need some kind of thread. But as Jasede said, don't force yourself if you still don't like it.

deamento

Scholar
You really should skip VII and go straight to VII-2: Serpent Isle. I played them both and the story in VII isn't going to keep you going- unless you enjoy Origin making fun of EA for the entire game. (Ultima VII is basically their way of saying: fuck you, EA. We know you'll buy us soon, but we hate you and we make no secret of it. You are going to kill us.)

7-2 is a very dark game, with an inhospitable mood.
i guess i'l go to 7-2 and maybe go back to VII if i'm in the mood.
does the story in 7-2 refference the story in the first game?

deamento

Scholar

If I understood correctly you haven't even left Trinsic yet, so my reccommendation would be to play at least one or two more hours after you have left the 1st town. You can try following Elizabeth and Abraham (again, EA...) for a while if you need some kind of thread. But as Jasede said, don't force yourself if you still don't like it.
i didn't even notice the EA thing, let me guess, the cult they're in are demon worshippers?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Well, it's all spoilers. Here you go.

Batlin left for a place called the "Serpent Isle".
Iolo's wife is missing, and Batlin had something to do with it.
You travel to the island to find Iolo's wife and Batlin.

As to EA:

Something like that.

Gord

Arcane
i didn't even notice the EA thing, let me guess, the cult they're in are demon worshippers?

They are some big shots in the "Fellowship", which has indeed a rather sinister side. The way the Fellowship is presented, it's a clear reference to Scientology.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom