Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima Ultima VII help

deamento

Scholar
yea

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
At the start of the game you should have heard about a pair called Elizabeth and Abraham that work for The Fellowship. It's a very good idea to try to follow them and catch up.

Don't worry about buying a ship if you have the Forge of Virtue add-on, you'll get one for free.

At one point you will meet a Fool. He will want to play a game. This line of words should tell you all you need to know to win that game.

Gord

Arcane
Is there any way to make Ultima 7 (with Exult) display the runic alphabet in plain text?

I know, I know...
But I'm lazy and don't want too look it up all the time (or learn it).

Divinity: Original Sin
Is there any way to make Ultima 7 (with Exult) display the runic alphabet in plain text?

I know, I know...

well, print a reference table so you don't need alt-tabbing. After a while you just can guess everything, since one probably know the name of places like "britain", "Moonglow", "New Magincia", and the signs around britannia all refer mostly to cities, dungeons and public buildings. It'funny since yesterday I was looking a fanmade ultima map, black and white, that had runes written all over it. After looking one word here and there I went on remembering which runes was which letter, even after a long time since I played ultima games.

Gord

Arcane
You know, it's funny, but back when I was playing a magic user in the Ultima Underworlds, it was much easier to remember the runes, due to the way you had to arrange them for spells.
UUS POR, ORT GRAV, IN MANI YLEM and so on. Made it really easy to remember somehow.
Maybe I should find a reference card that uses the complete names instead of just the symbols?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I know, I know...
There's a way, but you'd have to go into the source of exult
:troll:

you see, every sign has a english equivalent even in ultima 7 pt 1 (where there is no translate spell). It just needs a bit flipped.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Someone would need to edit FONTS.VGA and replace all the runic letters with English letters.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
just another quick question.
i tried playing ultima VII, played for about 20 minutes and i just turned it off because of boredom.
where exactly does the entertainment lie? exploring has no use because, for some reason, items i pick up disapear into the void, i just can't find them anywhere.
the story itself might be interesting if i had any idea where to go, the mayor of the first town gave me some directions to advance the first quest but i got lost and the signs help for shit. also, is there a way to change the font? i'm having a very hard time reading what people are saying.

One of the charms of Ultima 7 is all the different ways it allows you to interact. Try using telescopes, wall clocks, cannons, and so on. Have you explored the nursery? Try changing a diaper. See what happens when you throw the diaper. might want to save before hand. Did you know you can make bread? Ultima 7 has a lot of charm for all the things it allows you to do in that environment.

Gord

Arcane
First met the Unicorn, and for the Avatar it was "before", as well. :M

I was looking for Destard, but took the southern entrance, while the party is at the northern entrance.
However, the dialogue seems a bit bugged or incomplete - I could talk to the Unicorn about that guys problem and it seemed interested, but I couldn't tell the guy anything else than "The unicorn said no".

Edit: Speaking of bugs (I think it is one, or at least some quirk), directly at the Jhelom Moongate, there is a cave. Going through it eastward will make you exit at a beach, where there is some stuff and a couple of pirates that attack you. The strange thing is, some items on this beach seem to be owned - when I take them, the Guardians voice will tell me that I best not do that , a few guards appear literally out of nothing and try to arrest me. WTF?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
haha yep. A number of items in the game are flagged as "owned" and guards will come. Like in the caves North of Cove, a few items there are also mistakenly marked as owned.

Just do the Iolo The Thief™ cheat, and just take stuff and give it to a party member, not yourself.

deamento

Scholar
just another quick question.
i tried playing ultima VII, played for about 20 minutes and i just turned it off because of boredom.
where exactly does the entertainment lie? exploring has no use because, for some reason, items i pick up disapear into the void, i just can't find them anywhere.
the story itself might be interesting if i had any idea where to go, the mayor of the first town gave me some directions to advance the first quest but i got lost and the signs help for shit. also, is there a way to change the font? i'm having a very hard time reading what people are saying.

One of the charms of Ultima 7 is all the different ways it allows you to interact. Try using telescopes, wall clocks, cannons, and so on. Have you explored the nursery? Try changing a diaper. See what happens when you throw the diaper. might want to save before hand. Did you know you can make bread? Ultima 7 has a lot of charm for all the things it allows you to do in that environment.
so it's actually a game where fucking around is the message?

Gord

Arcane
so it's actually a game where fucking around is the message?

Shamelessly self-quoting:

Gord said:
Sigh, how many times I tried to get into the Ultimas?
Especially Ultima VII is made out to be one of the highlights of the genre but...I don't get it. The combat is terrible, the char. development is dumbed down, inventory and item management is clumsy and the story, lore and writing is extremely lame, at least compared to other great RPGs of that time like Wizardry or BaK. So what the hell am I missing?
I had some similar issues with Ultima 7, although I have to disagree about the story and lore part. Of both the game has quite a lot, it's just presented with a certain subtlety.

It is true that combat and character system are not exactly the strong points of the game, though. If you are looking for engaging combat, or complex character creation you better look elsewhere.
Both also hurt my ability to identify myself with my character, as it lead to a certain feeling of "distance" between the Avatar and myself - at times it feels more like watching the Avatar than playing/being him.

The strength of Ultima 7 is how it manages to present a coherent and interactive (and sandboxy) world that leaves a lot of initiative to the player.
Not just for doing stuff like baking bread - that's nice, but mostly pointless - but also when talking to the different NPCs, learning about their lives and problems, stitching together hints to solve quests, and so on.
The game is at its best, when that all comes together:
E.g. in one puzzle I needed some thread, but of course I did not have any.
I did remember though, that I had passed a clothier a few minutes earlier, so I went there. There was no thread, but some wool and a spinning wheel...
Or Pattersons secret.

All in all, I can understand when someone can't get into the game. Depending on your preferences, the game might simply not be for you.
I'd suggest to try and play at least 2-3 hours and if you don't like it by then, you probably won't like it after 20 hours either.

deamento

Scholar
yea, i put 1.5 hours in it. i can see why people like it but, it's not for me at all

Swen would be very disappointed

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom