Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Un(der) used game settings

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Or that fucking strange MMO SCI interpreter with dozens of Larry's waiting to fuck the prostitute. That was weird. Thank god i don't play MMO's.
AGI, not SCI.

That's pretty odd... never heard of it before. That site used to host fan-made AGI/SCI games, lol.

Hellraiser

Arcane
A "hard" SF setting consisting of the colonized solar system but nothing beyond it, apart from some mentions of generations ships sent out somewhere. Now that is something I didn't really see in a RPG.

Think exosquad/cowboy bebop/starlancer, sans the FTL which has appeared in the last two. Commercial travel between earth and the outer planets takes weeks, 3 months tops due to fusion drives. Explore the futuristic corporate-run rich clean Biodome cities of the Moon and Mars. Delve into the dark and dirty remote industrial settlements among the hydrocarbon lakes of Titan or the glaciers of Triton, where the international corporate and governmental law does not apply. Fly a ship between all that stuff, defend from boarding attempts by enemies or stage them yourself to loot He3/deuterium-tritium fuel. Get into gunfights in the undercity slums or when a drug deal goes bad on some icy forgotten rock in the middle of nowhere. Fight for corporations, governments, criminal syndicates, rebels or yourself. The new age of swashbuckling with some cyberpunk and in space.

EruDaan

Arcane
What I'd like to see is a setting which is a mixture of aztec-indo-american civilization and lovecratian themes of Old Ones, sacrifice, powerful priests, impressive stone cities in vast jungles. Or as someone else here already said - a setting that takes place in Africa. And the celtic mythology is kinda interesting too. Giants, animal people and Sidhé, fairies that are not all cute and butterly but armed and armoured, trying to get a place in this world (again).

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I'd like to see some horror based RPGs, not set in the standard Lovecraftian world but based on different cultures. South American lore is pretty good for this, and so is Asian lore. Something based on Dan Simmons' Song of Kali for instance.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
A "hard" SF setting consisting of the colonized solar system but nothing beyond it, apart from some mentions of generations ships sent out somewhere. Now that is something I didn't really see in a RPG.

Think exosquad/cowboy bebop/starlancer, sans the FTL which has appeared in the last two. Commercial travel between earth and the outer planets takes weeks, 3 months tops due to fusion drives. Explore the futuristic corporate-run rich clean Biodome cities of the Moon and Mars. Delve into the dark and dirty remote industrial settlements among the hydrocarbon lakes of Titan or the glaciers of Triton, where the international corporate and governmental law does not apply. Fly a ship between all that stuff, defend from boarding attempts by enemies or stage them yourself to loot He3/deuterium-tritium fuel. Get into gunfights in the undercity slums or when a drug deal goes bad on some icy forgotten rock in the middle of nowhere. Fight for corporations, governments, criminal syndicates, rebels or yourself. The new age of swashbuckling with some cyberpunk and in space.
I'm probably going to be proven wrong, but I don't think Cowboy Bebop has ftl travel.

Saduj

Arcane
Prehistory could be a pretty cool setting. Multiple species of humanoid and half breeds, crazy megafauna, crafting skills being vital, etc. I imagine one where the ending shows the C&C of the player having far reaching effects into modern times.

Hellraiser

Arcane
I'm probably going to be proven wrong, but I don't think Cowboy Bebop has ftl travel.

Yes and no. The gates were basically a hyperspace speedhack shortening distance by 240 times (in a much more convoluted way than generic wormholes through space-time). You could use them for FTL if you had anything traveling above 1/240th of c. However there was never any mention that there were any ships capable of that.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I want any sci-fi rpgs. I don't care if it's pulp, hard, science fantasy, I'll take anything. I played through 2 and a half Mass Effects just because they were RPG-like games in a sci-fi setting.

I'd really like something inspired by Stargate. There are small portals on planets you can use to quickly travel, but the size limits what can be transferred through them. So you can't drive an aircraft carrier through the thing. Then you go planet hopping and doing stuff. I don't know what stuff exactly, but there are so many possibilities. Imagine you were identified as a criminal element and you had to get off the world you were on. The gates would be heavily guarded, you'd have to sneak in (or kill a fuckload of people) and get through, and then probably do 3-4 more jumps and head underground so they couldn't follow you (I assume the planets would have hot pursuit treaties).

I don't want the Stargate universe itself because it's kind of limiting with how it's set up. The Earth gate is a secret from the populace, and the Goa'uld owning 3/4 of the Galaxy makes for a boring situation to interact with. Needs more interplanetary politics to screw around with.

Zetor

Arcane
So I heard Spelljammer is pretty underused... :troll:

Anyway, a superhero-based setting would be pretty neat, maybe something similar to GRRM's "Wild Cards" universe where you have 10 mutated misfits running around for every superman, and people with silly not-really-superpowers (insert shout-out to Superhero League of Hoboken here).

Other than that, good sci-fi plz. I'll even take pulpy stuff like Buck Rogers as long as it doesn't have people punching out robots with their bare hands and shit (see also: any jrpg in a modern setting).

Executer

Phrenologist
Project: Eternity
Another vote for turn of last century Lovecraftian.

Hard Science Fiction, near future and further based on known Physics and predicted technologies.

Alternative timelines/universe, good reference point is 'The man in the High Castle'.

laclongquan

Arcane
No, damnit!

Not a damn game. Period.

They tried a few times with FPS and other genre. Abandoned half way. Currently all studios are localizing foreign games.

To be fair, if you count card games, There's one studio near my house do a few for tablets and shits, http://www.wulven.com/ . But Card games? I dont bother to try. There're probbably more studios, but nothing worth remembering.

laclongquan

Arcane
Anyway, Eador? What is that shit I dont even

Eador Genesis is this fantasy Turn-Based Strategy game. You ever play Age of Wonders, Heroes of Might and Magic, Dominions and such games? Same style.

Since last month it has been buzzing in the Strategy Forum (the part of the Codex with the most concentrated :obviously: per post). I refered to it as a example of a forgotten, unknown gem that has recently seem the light of the Codex, thanks to GoG and prospective codexers who liked the genre. It was made (aparently) by this lone russian guy and published by 1P and it had shit PR so only a strict niche of Russian TBS players knew abbout it.

Now, most of the world talks in European languages, like English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, Russian, etc. Lots of people speak Chinese but Chinese is a regional language at best, outside of chinese neighboors and entrepenaurs to Asia, nobody cares to learn it because the only thing in common with their languages is that its also spoken by humans, it could be klingon or reticulan for all we know. The fact it doesn't even have a alphabet but those weird Kainji things only make it worse. Same apply for Korea, Japan, Vietnam (sorry but truth is truth), Precious Mongolia, etc.

There's a lot of people in China, Korea, Japan. People who like gaming. People who want games. The japs make games, but not the Codex's prestigious tastes. But how much stuff in the eastern internet that we would love to have but don't know because, you know, WEIRD MOONSPEAK WITH ALIEN SYMBOL STUFFIES!!

That's why I think there exists the potential for the existance of a Oriental Fallout, hidding somewhere in some indie site in some weird moonspeak. Just like Eador, which was hidden away in Glorious Mother Russia by foreign language and bad PR.

And Hope springth eternal!

Not that I diss the possibility, considering Sengoku Rance.

EDIT: not that the Vietnamese gamers dont cover it, http://taigame.org/game/eador-genesis but shit need an English text before we try.

fake-EDIT: Not that the thing is in my radar. I tried AoW and HoMM3 lots, but the genre is not my cup of tea.

oscar

Arcane
I really like historical or historically-inspired (legitimately so, not the usual D&D high fantasy banality) settings. Clashes between interesting and diametrically different cultures. Rome's wars with the Gauls, Germans, Jews and Parthians (or later on the Huns, Vandals and Goths) etc.

I dreamed up a game once where you're a Roman soldier who managed to survive the Varian Disaster by the quick (well cowardly) thinking of your officer who ordered you all to play dead and later sneak away. Your officer wants to return back to the nearest Roman fort and warn them of the Germanic threat (but instead spinning a story of how he bravely broke through the barbarian lines single-handedly slaying many..). You could follow his plan, threaten to spill the beans to his superiors about his cowardice (doing this while you're still deep in German land could lead to him trying to murder you in your sleep but it could work if you had a high speech in which case he makes special mention of your courage and you get a promotion), dob him in (though again this could result in anything from you being executed for insubordination to being promoted and honoured in his stead while he's executed for cowardice depending on how slick your tongue is) to sneaking off in the night and doing whateverthehell you want (perhaps at character creation you specified you were a German auxiliary or member of a tribe who allied with the Romans but now wish to rejoin the seemingly invincible Arminius and help tear down the Roman oppressors). Or you could murder the officer and other survivor while they're sleeping and steal the officer's story and become lauded as a hero (even if the higher ups don't quite believe you, they see the value in a story of heroism to help boost the legionaries and folk back home's morale) but this would require good speech skill and stealth (if you slit their throat) or combat (if you fail to while they sleep and wake them and get a fight on your hands).

I'd find this a lot more engaging than "chosen one!!!!" or "boy whose village is burnt down rises to kill dragons and save the earth from destruction" shit.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Like Historical settings too but it needs solid science consultants to not turn into another Disneyland/LOTR/High Fantasy take on Medieval ages. RPG made in Emperor of Faded Suns/Dune/WH 40K settings, oppressive space feudalism, devious xenos and technosorcery Or this Premium mod for NWN1 Shadowguard which was never completed aside from first chapter this could be done even by some lone and mad modder.

laclongquan

Arcane
You know, a Unreal World type of game but set in Post Pax Romana would be nice. Roguelike RPG explore the bronze age Europe with the farther north (ie more europan) the barbaric it become, and the further south (ie more African/Mediterrenean) the more civilized it become.

Just imagine the butthurt it could generate.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Like Historical settings too but it needs solid science consultants to not turn into another Disneyland/LOTR/High Fantasy take on Medieval ages.

It's hilarious how often games in historical settings end up being ridiculously unhistorical, even so much that people who've only watched a documentary on Discovery Channel will notice.
And then, after the game's release, if it's popular enough, a couple of history nerds jump in to do a historical correctness mod for free.

Why can't the devs just hire those guys in the first place?

Seerix

Arbiter
RPG based on Glen Cook books like Black Company or Sweet Silver Blues would be fucking awesome. :D

AgentBJ09

Educated
After Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, I can't say "The Modern Era." Inquisitor was pretty close to the Dark Ages.

If White Wolf keeps making games after that MMO that's coming out, I'd like to see Geist or Werewolf given the role-playing treatment, but set in the 50's or the 60's. Makes me wonder how hippies would react to one of their own becoming a Garou, or being brought back to life thanks to a Geist.

asper

Arcane
Ordinary present-day world.

Realistic interactions, realistic effects of stats and abilities, realistic combat, and no magic or scifi/fantasy tropes.

tuluse

Arcane
"Ordinary present-day world" should probably have no combat either.

asper

Arcane
Not when the story is set in the criminal world, for instance.

Somehow I feel such a setting is more suitable for an adventure game, but that is maybe because of being used to fantasy RPG's, as very few have been made outside of that genre.

Another good setting for a game: 80'ies USSR, like in Cryo's KGB

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom