Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underrail Dev Log #71: Version 1.1.5.0 Beta - New Year's Resolution

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Stygian Software; Underrail

Underrail received its fifth and final major content update today, entitled New Year's Resolution. It's hard to identify an overarching theme in this one, but it includes a variety of interesting-sounding visual, content and balance changes. In fact, there are so many of them that the update is launching as an experimental beta at first. Styg will now be focusing on Infusion full-time, although he does intend to continue releasing smaller updates for the original Underrail in the future, and possibly even a new paid DLC based on ideas from the game's scrapped second expansion. Here's the summary from the latest development update:

Today we're releasing our last major free content update for Underrail. It's been just a bit over six years since the full release of the base game, and I think that's a nice and round number to rest at. After this we're going to transition to working at about 95% of our collective capacity on our next project known under codename Infusion. You can see what's this project about and follow its development here: stygiansoftware.com/infusion. We should start posting dev logs there more regularly soon.

However, this does not mean that we're completely done with this game. We intend to support it as long as we exist as a company and also periodically release small content updates which will mostly feature mechanical tweaks, as well new items and abilities. We have quite a robust system for creating interesting items at this point, which we intend to use to further extend Underrail's playstyle catalogue so to speak.

Also we have some bigger features planned for the future, such as better adapting the game's UI and controls to Steam Deck, creating tools for community translation projects, potentially porting the game to other platforms, and more.

Another distinct possibility is an additon of a small paid DLC for Underrail, as there are some substantial gameplay mechanics that we initially planned to add in the second DLC (following Expedition), but were left in a state of limbo after we decided to move onto Infusion instead.

Exactly when any of these things will come about, I do not know. They will mostly require me to spend my programming time on them, which I will not have much to spare as Infusion is going to occupy most of it in the coming years. So don't expect rapid progress in any of the things mentioned above.

Before I hit you with all the bullet points, here's an important notice: due to the nature and quantity of changes made, the update will first be deployed onto the Experimental branch.

To play experimental branch on Steam, you right click the game in your library and go to "Betas" tab. To do so on GOG Galaxy, you go to Manage Installation -> Configure. Make sure you don't override all your live version saves just in case something goes horribly wrong.

Now, without further ado, here's the list of changes and additions that come with this update, minus the secret stuff, of course:

MAJOR STUFF
  • Implemented, new slightly visually touched up, UI that is available in 3 sizes; classic UI still available
  • The game will now automatically be zoomed on higher resolutions (which can then be changed through manual zooming if it's enabled)
  • Introduced a brand new Core City questline as an alternative to joining an oligarch
  • Improved nearly all unique and some rare weapons and armor - go check them out
  • You can refurbish your old world firearms at one of the firearm enthusiasts
  • Characters can now save up to 10 action points at the end of their turn and add those to their next turn
  • Base ability values are no longer capped at 20, but instead the maximum bonus on top of the base value that you can accumulate is 10
Onward we go, slowly but surely. As usual, the full update has a complete changelog.

ArchAngel

Arcane
My first full run took me 120h. I started a few new characters over the years but always stopped in first 20h.
Maybe when this patch is out I can buy and install Expeditions and finally do that 2nd full run (or at least until you enter deep caverns if that end game is still as irritating as it was close to release).

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
MAJOR STUFF
  • Implemented, new slightly visually touched up, UI that is available in 3 sizes; classic UI still available

Anyone figured out how to change this? Can't see it anywhere in Options...

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
If you don't see Interface Size anywhere then it's possible you're not running the latest version of the game, you have to select the experimental beta from the game properties on Steam.
Ah thanks. Missed that it was an Expermental Build. Just reinstalled the base game.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
However, this does not mean that we're completely done with this game. We intend to support it as long as we exist as a company and also periodically release small content updates which will mostly feature mechanical tweaks, as well new items and abilities. We have quite a robust system for creating interesting items at this point, which we intend to use to further extend Underrail's playstyle catalogue so to speak.

Lol, I know at least one person who was waiting for this patch specifically with the hope it'd mean an end to the risk of one's build becoming outdated and unviable overnight. No such luck when Styg's in charge it seems.

thesoup

Arcane

Lol, I know at least one person who was waiting for this patch specifically with the hope it'd mean an end to the risk of one's build becoming outdated and unviable overnight. No such luck when Styg's in charge it seems.

NerevarineKing

Learned
I like how this comes out right after I finished playing through the game. I guess it gives a good excuse to revisit the game though.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Those underrail infusion models look really nice. I like pixel art but hey its more flexible even for possible mods.

Basshead

Educated
Sounds great. I was contemplating a second run on dominating to do those optional bosses from the last big update. Even more reason to dive back in.

Diggfinger

Arcane
New/upscaled/redesigned buttons and portraits look really nice Styg

..but it makes the items looks even more pixelated :(

Will you redo those too?
Some awesome 2D art would be sweet, but redoing all icons might be too much work at this point?

Mac_Orion

Stygian Software
Developer
New/upscaled/redesigned buttons and portraits look really nice Styg

..but it makes the items looks even more pixelated :(

Will you redo those too?
Some awesome 2D art would be sweet, but redoing all icons might be too much work at this point?
We are not going to rework the icons, there are too many. Anyways we are finished with big changes to the game as the devlog says, focused on infusion and that will do it differently when it comes to icons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom