Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Underrail - Ironman

Discussion in 'Underrail' started by Tygrende, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Tygrende Savant

Tygrende
    I think it's about time to share my endeavor with the Codex - I'm currently in the process of trying and documenting my attempts at beating Underrail on DOMINATING without reloading/dying - currently on my 2nd attempt, pretty close to Depot A, going smoothly so far. I wouldn't exactly call this a Let's Play since there's no commentary, but I've seen some people here express interest in seeing something like this so here you go. I don't skip the boring parts, but later videos have timestamps to skip them if anyone wants to.

• Brofist x 8
    • Prestigious x 4
    • Salute x 3
    • (autism) x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. lukaszek the determinator Patron

lukaszek
    regarding rathounds by omega: unless you wanted to kill that guard, what I usually do is lock myself behind fence instead. This way rats never lose your aggro. Meanwhile SGS guard will unload all his ammo and eventually kill everything with his fists. I usually do this while still being lvl 1.

^ Top  
  3. Tygrende Savant

Tygrende
    I specifically wanted to kill that guard. It give me a really good vest and SMG early on, while also allowing me to do GMS before Newton. The beetles there are really tough on DOM, so going to GMS first is a good idea. Especially with that vest from the guard, makes you nearly immune to bots.

^ Top  
  4. lukaszek the determinator Patron

lukaszek
    yeah I ifgured it might be the case

my best setup against them was 4x bear traps at first door and a bunch of grenades. Throwing this here just in case :)

^ Top  
  5. Tygrende Savant

Tygrende
    Kinda risky at 1st door, attract too many and you can still get overwhelmed. What I settled on is letting them wander inside the open door, only to close it when they get inside and kill them in a 1v1 fight. Typically can kill 1-3 that way, giving me more breathing room to deal with the rest. From that point it's bear traps/mines/molotovs/etc. unless I manage to single more of them out.

^ Top  
  6. Darth Canoli Arcane

Darth Canoli
    Underrail on Ironman ...
    Just imagine having to replay the very beginning of the game over and over again.
    It'd work with ToEE's moathouse, Wiz 8's monastery, Dark Sun's arena but Underrail?

That's called masochism.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Tygrende Savant

Tygrende
    Well if everything goes right I won't have to!

I probably will have to.

• Despair Despair x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. lukaszek the determinator Patron

lukaszek
    idea is to attract all of them and force crowd on choke point. Use corner of storage room to break line of sight. Did it with throwing knives on dom so... you might say with grenades exclusively

^ Top  
  9. Savecummer Latest Doxxer Account Edgy

Unwanted
    Is this even tough? How many fights are forced until the game opens up?
    How hard it is to find all the oddities that dont require combat? Cause I figure that this would be the main strat - overlevel as much as possible.

I dont think this is particularly super impossible - there is not much RNG here... and you have perfect knowledge.

^ Top  
  10. Savecummer Latest Doxxer Account Edgy

Unwanted
    attempt 1 part 3: got lazy and got eaten by beetles lelelele

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Tygrende Savant

Tygrende
    It's not that simple - there's only so much XP you can get safely. And trying to sneak past fights you can't win only gets you so far until you screw up, bump out of stealth and die.
    Yeah, I could just go behind the door. But I got greedy.

^ Top  
  12. Butter Arcane

Butter
    Would this be any easier on Classic?

^ Top  
  13. Savecummer Latest Doxxer Account Edgy

Unwanted
    heh, played the beetles reckless the second time too, could have died if 2 rifles shots missed and a second beetle suddenly appeared when you missed the first time...

^ Top  
  14. Savecummer Latest Doxxer Account Edgy

Unwanted
    It isnt, but you should spend 3+ hours plotting out exactly how to walk the oddity walk - thats how long your first attempt took... Or not and just wing it for funz!

^ Top  
  15. Savecummer Latest Doxxer Account Edgy

Unwanted
    If you want to farm respawns, sure. Though I dont know how much XP they would deliver.

^ Top  
  16. Tygrende Savant

Tygrende
    It would be a lot easier, because you level a lot faster on Classic. Don't even have to farm.

^ Top  
  17. Tygrende Savant

Tygrende
    I think I played it pretty safe - I counted them and still had flashbangs/taser just in case. I'm sure there will a lot more closer calls in the future.

^ Top  
  18. Gay-Lussac Arcane

Gay-Lussac
    My experience with trying to play CRPGs ((Pillars of Eternity 1 and Kingmakerm mostly) in ironman is that I die over and over because I get bored and careless and I burn out on going through the early stages of the game over and over again.

It's exciting to win a close fight, but all it has done to me so far is ruin the games almost beyond repair.

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Tygrende Savant

Tygrende
    Part 6 & 7 are out!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. jackofshadows Magister

jackofshadows
    Oh, you went for sniper build? :greatjob: Although it might be tricky unless you gonna skip a few native bosses

Loading screens are kinda long, you didn't forget to turn auto-save off, did you? I mean...

By the way, admit that doing unoptional iron man run gives some notable extra feeling? I'd try to do it myself but I don't know the game enough for that yet.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    ^ Top  
  21. Tygrende Savant

Tygrende
    There's two reasons - it's what I'm most comfortable with and it's one of few builds that have naturally high PER, which is good because I really want to have high detection - stealthed enemies are among my biggest worries.

I had them off, then I forgot to manually save after recording an hour of footage. They are on since then. At least if that happens again I can reload the last autosave and retrace my steps to get to the same point in the exact same way.

Well I wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't fun, right?

^ Top  
  22. Savecummer Latest Doxxer Account Edgy

Unwanted
    fun is when you die to a misclick,
    cant wait

^ Top  
  23. Tygrende Savant

Tygrende
    The recently added no interaction button should help with that. But yeah a misclick is gonna happen sooner or later, I'm doing my best to slow down when I can't afford mistakes.

^ Top  
  24. Savecummer Latest Doxxer Account Edgy

Unwanted
    random plasma sentry rushes you at the door
    panic enter butan!

^ Top  
  25. Savecummer Latest Doxxer Account Edgy

Unwanted
    heh, random gangsters drop grenade on you, almost dead :shredder:

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.