Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
After all the 1.0 additions, I'd guess that a non-rushed playthrough will clock in at 80-100 hours, easily.

Nobody answered my previous question about if there are aimed attacks/shots in this game and if there is body parts damage (like when you do damage you do it to certain body parts and like in F1/2 you can cripple enemies).

There are abilities granted by feats (Aimed Shot, Kneecap Shot, Point Shot, Steadfast Aim, etc.) that simulate this, some of which trade accuracy for more damage and/or add in crippling effects.

There is no HP damage to individual body parts, though.
So more like WL2 system :(
My most fun playthrough in F2 was Melee+Jinxed+Doctor. I could fix all my injuries and at worst my weapon would drop to the ground, enemies were crippling themselves and their weapons exploding all the time :D
With no body parts damage outside special feats, this is not possible :/

Then go play FO2. This isn't FO3, so stop trying to make it be.

Inf0mercial

Augur
You know whats funny? My build i tried in the beta went fine until one fight in the city that has about 2-4 crossbows i could not do it crossbows apparently were that builds weakness as they just raped it until i went fuck it and left to level up more even then i couldn't do it so i am gonna remake the build more optimized tonight when this game gets a full release then kick the shit out of them.

It was stealth psychokinsies for the stuns and wall and assault rifles with stealth and some crafting, took out everything else but that goddamn fight, nothing in full update should ruin it besides hp debuff but it was never a knock down drag out fight character anyway more stealth ambush with the wall blocking parts of the map off then re stealth for another ambush.

Yet every time i check this thread everyone is talking about how weak crossbows are, i guess a lot the enemies are wearing heavy armour but the poisons you can make are pretty great combined with traps.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
My most fun playthrough in F2 was Melee+Jinxed+Doctor. I could fix all my injuries and at worst my weapon would drop to the ground, enemies were crippling themselves and their weapons exploding all the time :D

In case you were wondering why people didn't answer you sooner, I can tell you why I personally didn't answer you sooner: It's because I'm familiar with people like you.

People like you ask whether or not there's a system for targeting individual body parts. If there isn't one, they mope around the thread like fucking Eeyore, bemoaning the lack of such a system as though it's some huge loss—as you've just done.

It's incredibly annoying, and I was hoping you wouldn't be one of those people after all.

Cromwell

Arcane
Before I start later, how does it work with speech skills? Are they worthwhile or should I go a more combat oriented route? I played ea for a bit but not very long to not spoiler me so I don't really know if its worthwhile. Not worthwhile for me means a good 60 hour game but only say 4 times where I can effectively use speech skills to get somewhere get something etc

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Man, trying to work while you know the INCLINE is mere hours away..

My boss tryna make me do some shitty report.. And I'm like.. Nigguh! Don't ya know Unterrails is coming out. I ain't doing any o' dis shit.

:prosper:

Hold on... hold onnnnnnnnn

Last edited by a moderator:

Sykar

Arcane
Before I start later, how does it work with speech skills? Are they worthwhile or should I go a more combat oriented route? I played ea for a bit but not very long to not spoiler me so I don't really know if its worthwhile. Not worthwhile for me means a good 60 hour game but only say 4 times where I can effectively use speech skills to get somewhere get something etc

Speech skills can help you avoid a couple of major battles which can be quite tough depending on when you get to them. Otherwise they do not have much influence sadly.

ArchAngel

Arcane

In case you were wondering why people didn't answer you sooner, I can tell you why I personally didn't answer you sooner: It's because I'm familiar with people like you.

People like you ask whether or not there's a system for targeting individual body parts. If there isn't one, they mope around the thread like fucking Eeyore, bemoaning the lack of such a system as though it's some huge loss—as you've just done.

It's incredibly annoying, and I was hoping you wouldn't be one of those people after all.
Nah, that just means you know that is a minus for the game.
But that will not stop me from enjoying it if the rest is good.

Perkel

Arcane
Wait is killing me .... .... .... .... .... .... ... ... ... ... .. .. .. .. . . . . . . . .

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Urgh, my sword and board guy can't kill those robots at GMS. Yes, I know: gotta add some shock damage. Now if only merchants would sell the proper parts...

Any other ideas to make stabbing robots a bit easier? :P

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Are you seriously playing the early release two and half hours before 1.0? :lol:

The thirst is real, folks.

The robots are tough to crack at that point and the easy way out is to avoid them. Otherwise, repeatedly pounding on them a lot is your only option other than grenades, especially EMP grenades.

Alfons

Prophet
Inf0mercial, I don't know if it's so much a weakness as it is a hard fight. At one point I fought 3 psi guys and got my shit pushed in. 3 Bilocation clones attacking you while you get constantly CCd, that sort of thing is any build's "weakness".

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
My AR guy just burst fired them to death. Grenades won't do much good with zero throwing investment (tho i do have the stats for it). So it's either switch to hammer or get a shocking knife...

Btw: any way to avoid those stuns? Any hard counter to that?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yes, clearly, any RPG without a system for targeting individual body parts is somehow lacking.
Well no game is perfect. No shame in admitting that. If you only sing praise, Styg will see no reason to improve upon it for the next game.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's been Dec 18 for almost 23 hours, where's the game? Hope it's as good as the first Undertale, surprised the sequel is out so fast.

epeli

Arcane
3 Bilocation clones attacking you while you get constantly CCd, that sort of thing is any build's "weakness".

Isn't so bad when you're a psionic yourself. You can very easily kill doppelgangers with mental attacks and you've got LoC to deal with incoming CC.

Btw: any way to avoid those stuns? Any hard counter to that?

Fortitude is the saving throw against physical stuns and other physical effects, resolve for mental.

Hard counters: Locus of Control feat is godly. Thick Skull also reduces all stuns to daze, but I think it can be a bit of a newbie trap.

Alfons

Prophet
epeli, are you going to start updating the wiki asap or are you going to slack off and just play the game like an irresponsible douche?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Well no game is perfect. No shame in admitting that. If you only sing praise, Styg will see no reason to improve upon it for the next game.

I've never said that it was perfect, but that doesn't mean it feels lacking because it doesn't include this feature or that feature. He also didn't leave out systems like damage to individual body parts (or gratuitous death animations) due to oversight. He left them out because Stygian Software comprises himself and something like two or three helpers who I believe mainly do art and perhaps additional coding. He's often announced (paraphrasing), "I've decided not to include this feature because the manpower/cost requirements are too high."

There are the many, many features of Underrail that were totally absent from Fallouts 1 and 2. You speak as though certain features must be added to "improve" the game, and yet if Styg were to add every feature considered essential according to someone's highly specific personal opinions, the game would have a miles-long list of features and require half a century to develop.

In many cases, the inclusion of one feature means the reduction or removal of another feature. There's often give-and-take, as no game can be developed with unlimited time and resources.

I've criticized many features that DO exist in Underrail, but I'm not necessarily inclined to criticize the lack of a SPECIFIC feature.

Inf0mercial

Augur
Inf0mercial, I don't know if it's so much a weakness as it is a hard fight. At one point I fought 3 psi guys and got my shit pushed in. 3 Bilocation clones attacking you while you get constantly CCd, that sort of thing is any build's "weakness".

It is a hard fight but i am pretty sure its a weakness every crossbow guy i ran into shot right past my damage resistance with aimed shot and had some kind of poison like that one that stuns you after 2 turns, bullets ran into the 200% mechanical boost def and melee i would dodge half the time, psi is everyone's weakness if you don't alpha strike them and they throw out some stuns.
I know the rules say crossbow bolts take more threshold damage but frustrating, too be fair i only gave it 4-5 tries and i had some ideas i never tried but it was so close to release i figure i would just wait to do the fight in full version.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
It is a hard fight but i am pretty sure its a weakness every crossbow guy i ran into shot right past my damage resistance with aimed shot and had some kind of poison like that one that stuns you after 2 turns, bullets ran into the 200% mechanical boost def and melee i would dodge half the time, psi is everyone's weakness if you don't alpha strike them and they throw out some stuns.
I know the rules say crossbow bolts take more threshold damage but frustrating, too be fair i only gave it 4-5 tries and i had some ideas i never tried but it was so close to release i figure i would just wait to do the fight in full version.

YrR9lYI.gif

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Urgh, my sword and board guy can't kill those robots at GMS. Yes, I know: gotta add some shock damage. Now if only merchants would sell the proper parts...

Any other ideas to make stabbing robots a bit easier? :P

PSI, dude, PSI.

That PSI attack Electrokinesis can stun robots and does severe damage with electricity attacks. It stuns them for like 2 rounds or some shit. I remember playing my PSI/melee guy and I literally plowed through the robots at GMS and others.

epeli

Arcane
epeli, are you going to start updating the wiki asap or are you going to slack off and just play the game like an irresponsible douche?

Neither, unfortunately. I already updated some stuff (feats, some other game mechanics) and plan to update the blueprint and component pages before christmas, but I don't have too much time for games during the holidays.

Hopefully, Styg will open the wiki for user registration and/or anon editing Soon™.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom