Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

ciox

Liturgist
I'm not sure most people can be bothered to carry the blast suit around in the first place, it's way too heavy for a gimmick armour. Even at high strength you'd probably rather carry around a jackhammer and several non-gimmicky armors to swap between.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
oh god, locust. . . the horror. the horror.

fuck me, is there any way to fuck these guys easily? like pumping thousand litres of pesticides with control panel or i have to fight them one by one every floor?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Ok I have a serious question.

Is every native attack on the Expedition camp stronger than the previous one? In my campaign the first attack was laughable, did no damage, all the SEC soldiers survived.

The second attack was brutal, despite my constant support for the defenders. 9 soldiers (out of a total of 35 guarding the camp) perished, the turret was almost destroyed, I had to intervene personally to save it from the enemy crossbowers.

It was an all out bloody battle. In the end we won, but it was a truelly Pyrrhic victory. So I am curious what's your experience: is every native wave stronger then the ones before?

And does a punitive campaign up north against their villages actually help to weaken the pressure on the camp?

After what I've seen I am feeling mildly genocidal.

Black Angel

Arcane
I haven't keep this thread up-to-date with every single new posts like I usually do because I'm currently busy irl, but good God, some of you really need to take a break from Expedition (and even Underrail itself). No wonder you guys got burned. Or perhaps you guys are masochists?!

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Ja, the attacks get much stronger. I finally flipped and conducted Total Wignat Genocide when the Skaerder started spitting acid on the Naga Protector.

Attacking their villages ended their attacks, and you don't have to attack the map with Magnar in it, nor any of the ones over by Boneyard, I think.

Tigranes

Arcane
If you have stealth, you can blow up the hives by placing tnt before they spawn anything. If you don't have stealth, you can suffer.
nice. My strategy is stealth, psi mania + cyro orb. Usually 1 hit kill them, but they still spawn 4 to t locusts.

I will try the TNT strat

If you have high stealth (let's say 150 when you have the cloaker on), you can do the entire place only fighting 2-3 hives

With high agility you can IIRC get inside the centre without fighting a single one - just run past them and jump the spot.

Inside there are often rooms where you HAVE to fight hives. Most/all of them are skippable. What's the point of fighting locusts for 20 minutes to find a couple of hypos and a used tissue as loot?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
You seem really insistent on chasing people down and insinuating things. Why? It's a single player game, it's not a competition.

You claimed that Oddity players go around "checking every single trash can and rock" and shit, so I posted how if you just play naturally....

If you want to get your panties in a twist every time I disagree that Oddity is the only way to play Underrail while taking "ass-grabbing trashcan-microscopists" as a dire personal insult, then that's you're prerogative. In my view, it's you who began to get directly personal―but I'm well aware of my own foibles, and don't feel insulted in the least. I know that collecting all fifteen jet skis is goofy and pointless. Thing is, I don't recommend collecting all fifteen jet skis as the best and optimal way to play the game.

I don't insist on advising every new player who posts in this thread to play on Classic, either, nor do I imply to them that Oddity is an inferior system. Oddity crusaders do, though, except with the roles reversed. You can expect me to chime in fairly often when I notice it happening.

As I've pointed out several times, Oddities themselves can still be collected in Classic mode. That leaves speed of progression, which is what it always comes down to when you actually start discussing why you dislike Classic mode. Your post ratings also give you away. If I had ten charons for every positive rating you've given to an "Is X overleveled for Y area?" post, I'd be able to buy all fifteen jet skis a lot faster... but it's not a competition, right? :lol:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I've found quite a few oddities in trash cans.

Oddity slows down level gain but also makes combat less rewarding and steers the player towards tedious activities like trash-scavenging, so its hardly what I would call an improvement. If you want to make the point that the player shouldn't be rewarded for murder then don't fill your game with things to murder and a deep system for simulating said murders.

I also think oddity would change the combat from exploratory to grindy. Right now in my game I over-leveled by just exploring everywhere, not intentionally trying to kill everything but by encounting so many high-level hostile bandits around. As an oddity player, I'm incentivized to murder every creature multiple times, to both be sure to gain all possible oddity drops and discover if there are rare ones available. On Classic I had no reason to kill the borers/bladelings, in Oddity I would decimate that place.

It's an interesting way to incentivize stealth and pickpocketing but coming at the expense of most combat rewards is too high a price. If loot wasn't so hard to hoard and sell then maybe, maybe I would do it.

Tigranes

Arcane
Isn't combat its own reward? I have never sat down to count XP after killing something. It certainly is nice to kill a big boss and get rewarded, but they usually have special oddities in Underrail, and special loot in other games. I never understood the fixation with combat XP.

I understand the trash can argument, which is a fair point. (though by the same token, you could argue classic XP 'rewards' grinding. I would say neither of those things are great.)

Tigranes

Arcane
You seem really insistent on chasing people down and insinuating things. Why? It's a single player game, it's not a competition.

You claimed that Oddity players go around "checking every single trash can and rock" and shit, so I posted how if you just play naturally....

If you want to get your panties in a twist every time I disagree that Oddity is the only way to play Underrail while taking "ass-grabbing trashcan-microscopists" as a dire personal insult, then that's you're prerogative. In my view, it's you who began to get directly personal―but I'm well aware of my own foibles, and don't feel insulted in the least. I know that collecting all fifteen jet skis is goofy and pointless. Thing is, I don't recommend collecting all fifteen jet skis as the best and optimal way to play the game.

I don't insist on advising every new player who posts in this thread to play on Classic, either, nor do I imply to them that Oddity is an inferior system. Oddity crusaders do, though, except with the roles reversed. You can expect me to chime in fairly often when I notice it happening.

As I've pointed out several times, Oddities themselves can still be collected in Classic mode. That leaves speed of progression, which is what it always comes down to when you actually start discussing why you dislike Classic mode. Your post ratings also give you away. If I had ten charons for every positive rating you've given to an "Is X overleveled for Y area?" post, I'd be able to buy all fifteen jet skis a lot faster... but it's not a competition, right? :lol:

That all sounds fine to me. As I said already, people who insist on playing Classic are more than free to do so. It's also my freedom to heartily recommend Oddity to every new player who pops the question.

You sounded pretty upset before, but I'm glad you're chill about it. In the end, you collect jet skis, I collect concept builds that teleport around Underrail at the speed of light looking for a fight. All is fair game in glorious Underrail.

Blackmill

Scholar
So, is it even possible to steal one of the good jet skis from Ray's shop without turning core city hostile? I can get into the shop but not to the good stuff.

It seems impossible with how the cameras are positioned. But maybe I'm missing something. I already tried killing the cameras -- doesn't work.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Oddity combat still nets you loot, access to new area, and sometimes oddity XP. And sometimes it's fun just for the challenge, which should always be the true appeal obviously.

Blackmill

Scholar
So, is it even possible to steal one of the good jet skis from Ray's shop without turning core city hostile? I can get into the shop but not to the good stuff.

It seems impossible with how the cameras are positioned. But maybe I'm missing something. I already tried killing the cameras -- doesn't work.
afaik its impossible. Ive tried to steal jetski before expedition happens, when no one is there. On return from expedition suddenly whole core city is hostile. Its like if ray returns, checks the camers and start talking.

Related: im not aware of single jetski ray will buy besides lemurian one. I'd parse it together as: you are not to buy/acquire proper jetski before last 25% of expedition content.

The cameras don’t notice the player very quickly in turn based mode. I think with an absurd amount of AP and movement points, you could at least reach the good jet skis. But I think you’ll be caught during the hot wiring which doesn’t benefit from the Burglar feat. If you can enter combat mode in a jet ski, I think you could get away, though.

SenisterDenister

Educated
It may be my relatively high stealth skill, but as long as you're doing everything while under in stealth Ray won't do anything to stop you even if you're directly underneath a camera. For reference my stealth skill was about 120 when I started doing all that. And for non-stealth players you can easily bump it up by 60 points with a coat, balaclava, and tabi boots.

Blackmill

Scholar
It may be my relatively high stealth skill, but as long as you're doing everything while under in stealth Ray won't do anything to stop you even if you're directly underneath a camera. For reference my stealth skill was about 120 when I started doing all that. And for non-stealth players you can easily bump it up by 60 points with a coat, balaclava, and tabi boots.

Huh, I have way more stealth than that, and the cameras always turn red. They have truesight, after all. I'm specializing in interloper too. I wonder if this was changed because that seems like too low a requirement to steal a 40,000 charon vehicle. I'll try again though.

Edit: Did you steal before or after setting off with the expedition?

Blackmill

Scholar
Alright, I'm making progress. I got to the good jet skis by stealing one of the crummy ones from outside, then riding it through the gate. Now to see if I can snag one of them.

SenisterDenister

Educated

Huh, I have way more stealth than that, and the cameras always turn red. They have truesight, after all. I'm specializing in interloper too. I wonder if this was changed because that seems like too low a requirement to steal a 40,000 charon vehicle. I'll try again though.

Edit: Did you steal before or after setting off with the expedition?
It was all afterward. The cameras detected me, yes, but as long as I was under stealth Ray never came and bothered me. I always made sure to do it out of the sight of his buddy, too.

*edit: I had not realized this was for stealing the jet skis themselves, I thought you meant stealing parts out of them. As soon as you hop onto a jet ski you unstealth which busts everything you were working towards. No, what you want to do is take the parts out first, then buy it super cheap. If you really want to be a monsters you can (styg don't read this next part pls)
take the parts out, buy it super cheap, then put the parts back in and sell it for more than it was worth and make bookoos of charons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom