Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Moonspeak Undertale - friendship/genocide RPG

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Played it for the first time having somehow completely missed a bunch of the hype around it, first I heard of it was this thread a week or so ago. So wasn't spoiled on the batshit stuff that happens.

Pretty neat. A lot of the dialogue/humour was way off for me, a lot of time spent cringing at the screen. But an okay amount got a bit of a laugh. Some fun little 2d top-down puzzles and trying to work out what ACT each fight wanted was fun and fair. Little defence minigame was occasionally fun, though often so easy it may as well have not been there. Missed a shit ton of content I suspect, as I never bothered to back track outside of the first date with that skeleton. Tried to spare everyone but I accidentally killed the mother, I figured there would be a mercy/kill when she hit low health, as I had worn out the ACT/SPARE buttons to the point of repeating dialogue I thought, though searching it now, it seems spare spam would have done it eventually. Flower going insane and force quitting the game was quite entertaining though, so it was alright (not really though, I kept trying to call her on the CELL throughout the playthrough :negative:).

Even though it's made crystal clear there're other endings available, I didn't want to playthrough it again upon finishing. Will just look them up, maybe play it again after a long break. Doing those fights and puzzles just can't be fun a second time. Unless it's changed on a replay, I did just read that some dialogues a changed, anything different gameplay wise (different puzzles, different monsters, different "bullet-hells")?

Bradylama

Arcane

Pretty neat. A lot of the dialogue/humour was way off for me, a lot of time spent cringing at the screen. But an okay amount got a bit of a laugh. Some fun little 2d top-down puzzles and trying to work out what ACT each fight wanted was fun and fair. Little defence minigame was occasionally fun, though often so easy it may as well have not been there. Missed a shit ton of content I suspect, as I never bothered to back track outside of the first date with that skeleton. Tried to spare everyone but I accidentally killed the mother, I figured there would be a mercy/kill when she hit low health, as I had worn out the ACT/SPARE buttons to the point of repeating dialogue I thought, though searching it now, it seems spare spam would have done it eventually. Flower going insane and force quitting the game was quite entertaining though, so it was alright (not really though, I kept trying to call her on the CELL throughout the playthrough :negative:).

Even though it's made crystal clear there're other endings available, I didn't want to playthrough it again upon finishing. Will just look them up, maybe play it again after a long break. Doing those fights and puzzles just can't be fun a second time. Unless it's changed on a replay, I did just read that some dialogues a changed, anything different gameplay wise (different puzzles, different monsters, different "bullet-hells")?

tumblr_nxh8u9UXRJ1t3tqcuo1_r4_1280.png

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Rivmusique

The endgame sections are completely different depending if you go with the Complete Pacifist, Neutral or the Absolute Carnage/Genocide paths, along with the endings as well (amusingly enough, the Genocide path is very different from a standard play-through and contains the game's best and worst bosses). There's slightly changed dialogue during a replay as well. In fact,

you were supposed to accidentally kill Toriel, then reload after hearing Flowey taunt (which also works as a hint). After successfully undoing your mistake, he would react quite differently from what you might expect, setting the game's unique tone.

Either way, the game is short enough to be able to be completed quite quickly if you know what you're doing.

rrc2soft

Educated
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Visual proof that Undertale is Incline:
CT-2DL3WwAEVFX3.jpg:large

I really, really hope Toby Fox continues making games - he has enough money to buy his own house with basement and an unlimited supply of spaghetti :-P. Also, I hope Undertale influences other games - there are several mechanisms that I would like to see expanded, like how he implemented storytelling mechanisms during turn-based battles.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Rivmusique

The endgame sections are completely different depending if you go with the Complete Pacifist, Neutral or the Absolute Carnage/Genocide paths, along with the endings as well (amusingly enough, the Genocide path is very different from a standard play-through and contains the game's best and worst bosses). There's slightly changed dialogue during a replay as well. In fact,

Yeah I've heard, but the puzzles, bullet-hells, ACTS-to-spare, monsters are still the same throughout most of the game, right?

you were supposed to accidentally kill Toriel, then reload after hearing Flowey taunt (which also works as a hint). After successfully undoing your mistake, he would react quite differently from what you might expect, setting the game's unique tone.
Save-scumming!

I didn't want to go through all her dialogue again, I must have gone through most of it on my first attempt, didn't have the patience.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I really, really hope Toby Fox continues making games - he has enough money to buy his own house with basement and an unlimited supply of spaghetti :-P. Also, I hope Undertale influences other games - there are several mechanisms that I would like to see expanded, like how he implemented storytelling mechanisms during turn-based battles.

He said in an interview that he had something in the works but isn't ready to announce anything yet.

lightbane

Arcane
Yeah I've heard, but the puzzles, bullet-hells, ACTS-to-spare, monsters are still the same throughout most of the game, right?
In the Pacifist's path, yes.

In fact, its exclusive content unlocks once you have reached the endgame, achieved certain requirements and have beaten the final boss. If you have done everything right, Flowey should be able to tell you a hint about how to proceed. From this moment onwards, you'll be able to access this path's unique content (which includes an awesome dungeon).

Meanwhile, in the Genocide path, most things are different even if the same rules apply, if only because you won't bother to spare anyone, most bosses will die in a single hit due your overwhelming power and puzzles will be non-existent.

Tick Tock Crocodile

Got the game, planned to be a completionist as usual and run through peacefully first before doing the violent route, finished Neutral and then Pacifist in the same playthrough. I now find myself not wanting to play any more because I care too much about the feelings of pixel skeletons. I'm a wimp and I don't care. :negative:

Tick Tock Crocodile

You're missing out on all the feels the author makes you feel when you play genocide. It's not just mindless murdering, the dialogue and world reactivity change enough to give you a great experience.

It does feel strange to me not to play one whole different side to the game when I enjoyed the first one so much. Not to mention there's stuff I'm sure I missed in the peaceful route. I really don't know if I can go through with it, though.
Especially since I tried starting it up a few minutes ago and got Flowey's speech. :negative:

I'll see if I can man up to it later.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Don't play it on Genocide. The whole point the game is trying to make is that you're a dumbass for wanting to "do everything."

Leave them at peace, okay? They're finally happy.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Got the game, planned to be a completionist as usual and run through peacefully first before doing the violent route, finished Neutral and then Pacifist in the same playthrough. I now find myself not wanting to play any more because I care too much about the feelings of pixel skeletons. I'm a wimp and I don't care. :negative:
You're missing out on all the feels the author makes you feel when you play genocide. It's not just mindless murdering, the dialogue and world reactivity change enough to give you a great experience.
"great" That shit is depressing as fuck. You're gonna have a bad time.

Also, tedious slaughter.

Siveon

Bot
What's with retards trying to convince people to miss out on game content lately?

The author put it there for you to experience it, quit being drama queens.
I'm not saying don't play it, I'm saying that shit is depressing and having to kill all the monsters gets boring after a while.

The boss battles are bittersweet fun though.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
What's with retards trying to convince people to miss out on game content lately?

The author put it there for you to experience it, quit being drama queens.
Did you not play the game? The entire point it makes is that just because it's there you don't have to experience it. The game purposefully makes you feel like shit for doing so. Because you're missing the point if you play it. IMO.

It's an artistic statement.

Siveon

Bot
Well, because the internet exists, it's not exactly difficult to find stuff about the Genocide run without playing it.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The genocide run makes the player feel like a horrible person and is depressing as hell but unfortunately some of the best soundtrack pieces are hiding there ;)

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

It does feel strange to me not to play one whole different side to the game when I enjoyed the first one so much. Not to mention there's stuff I'm sure I missed in the peaceful route. I really don't know if I can go through with it, though.
Especially since I tried starting it up a few minutes ago and got Flowey's speech. :negative:

I'll see if I can man up to it later.
If the thought of leaving the game alone genuinely makes you happy, just leave it. You won't be able to take it back if you do another run. Sure, you can do whatever you want with the game files, but you'll always remember the choice you made.

It's not as though empathizing with fictional characters is strange. It's the entire point of fiction. Hell, people even empathize with real inanimate objects with no character at all, like bomb disposal robots they work with. If you can steal a bit of happiness by leaving a save file alone, go for it.

That said, personally I just had to see what else was there. Curiosity won out over empathy. While I wish I could have my cake and eat it too, I don't regret the choice I made.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Entire point of learning whole plot and story - it isn't story about only monsters and our hero/one, yes. There also other stories:

Sans backstory, Gaster, Flowey thoughts, Chara.

But most important message is about power, responsibility and about how much human can go just to see how far he can go without consequences (there, resets and true resets and fucking with gamefiles - Toby confirmed on twitter that doing changes on ANYTHING in game is considered canon. So yeah, gamewise, as a player - you are an God) Flowey left you with message that you are only person with power to fuck with resets.

Why you want to see genocide route after pacifist? Becouse you want to know. Becouse you can... Heh, it seems that ee aren't so different then Flowey, after all.

Tick Tock Crocodile

Well, because the internet exists, it's not exactly difficult to find stuff about the Genocide run without playing it.

I thought about this. Then I came across this:

hLM7hIX.png

Well played, Flowey. Well played.

Though it should be said that I'm far from unspoiled as far as the Genocide route goes. I planned to get the game ages ago, but someone spoiled me quite a bit, so I decided to wait a few months and hopefully forget everything. Unfortunately, this first run has jogged my memory a bit, so some things, like what's going on with Sans, probably won't be much of a surprise to me. Another reason why even resetting for another Pacifist run feels like a pretty weighty decision. I really wish I'd relaxed and taken my time more the first time around. I got so caught up in the main story, I sped through it. It's not just about Geno; I know I missed out on a lot in the Pacifist route, too. I played too quickly and wasn't as thorough as I should've been. But then, I didn't think I'd be debating whether to reset after I was done. Didn't expect it to be a hard decision.

Flowey's little chat with me when I turned the game on again made it crystal clear what the 'point' is. Plus, what he called me made it pretty obvious who Chara is, and who exactly it would be butting in and making Frisk act in a way that they, a normal person, ordinarily wouldn't, should I decide to do Geno. I'll either go with my attachment and leave it as is, not learning anything more about the game than I do now, or decide that the experience and knowledge matter enough and continue to reset it until I really feel satisfied. There is definitely a part of me that hates leaving it so soon. I don't really want to look things up, since that would give me the best of both worlds without any nastiness that might be involved.

I don't think there's a truly right or wrong decision. I'll see if I can be content with just this one playthrough; if I can be genuinely happy just leaving it like that. If I can't, then what I end up seeing and feeling is what I'm meant to, whether I manage to get through Geno or not.

Tick Tock Crocodile

Toby confirmed on twitter that doing changes on ANYTHING in game is considered canon

By the way, does anyone have the link to where he confirmed this? I want to check something so I've been looking for it but I'm pretty bad at navigating Twitter and haven't found it.

lightbane

Arcane
What a bunch of weaklings some Codexers are ITT. Where's the hatred and rage for all livings things that I expected? Where are the demands for more violence and even more killing opportunities? Exterminating monsters is okay because they're not human, and power requires sacrifice... Power... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!

...Now seriously, I'm impressed that the game is so effective at manipulating people's feels and everything, but IMO the Genocide route still needs some work, it needs some improvements to be as good as the other routes. Lastly, have this:

tumblr_nynmcsUXSI1r323ato1_540.png

http://www.generatorland.com/usergenerator.aspx?id=12011

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom