Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant is a disaster

Efe

Erudite
srsly send it over...Fire means it dies once...
here it will die everyday living with religion of peace.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Maybe this weekend I will torch it, along with T:TON. Too busy with work to get artistic with video ATM.
Ok so my PO box idea was too much, I get it.

What about a table of ways the box could be destroyed? Roll a dice to see how the CE gets demolished. This singular act will have more classic RPG mechanics in it that the entirety of Underwold.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Who here would send their copy to a post office box for mass destruction in whatever creative ways the codex can come up with?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Send me a mint copy with the KS extras. Might be worth sone $$$ in the future.

I'm at least thankful the collector's edition didn't have the skeleton on it, because I really hate that stupid skeleton.

I remember when the game was early in development, seeing that skeleton over and over and over and wondering, "why don't they show off the rest of the monsters?"

And then I realized the awful truth, of course: the skeleton is the only monster they have done.

And yet we can't choose that skele as an avatar. COME ON CODEX! UA Skeleton!

This game is okay with update 4 applied. I didn't hate my time, honestly had a bunch of fun messing with its systems. It's just that I spent all that time also mildly upset at how much better it all could've been if they didn't get shafted on the finance side of things and also did a better job at overall level design.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This game is okay with update 4 applied. I didn't hate my time, honestly had a bunch of fun messing with its systems. It's just that I spent all that time also mildly upset at how much better it all could've been if they didn't get shafted on the finance side of things and also did a better job at overall level design.
Could you be a little more specific?

Nyast

Cipher
He means that with Update 4 it's less buggy than Cyberpunk 2077. I know, it's not an achievement.

Unlike CB 2077, there's no brilliance anywhere to be found even if the game was ultra polished. Everything is a disapointment, or bland, or repetitive. You can't make a good game out of 5 enemy types over a 15 hours run. Some of the deeper levels have an "interesting" design, but that's the best thing that could be said about this game. Everything else is sub-par at best.

Could you be a little more specific?
Well as far as immersive sims go, it has some decent systemic gameplay. Everything is a 3D physics object and you can mess around with them. Wooden objects catch fire with a nice fire propagation system, that sort of thing. You can do some fun builds (eg. with a high agility build you can *almost* fly) etc. It's basically an okay systemic sandbox. Sadly it's heavily let down by the level designs themselves not really letting you unleash the full potential of the systems all that often, though they did add some good side quests in Update 4 that kinda let you do that. And it's also p.bug-free at this point.

prengle

Savant
having fun by fucking around with a bad game doesn't make that game genuinely good

Eli_Havelock

Learned

I see OSE shit in your mouth until their excuses overflow and drip from your chin. That wasn't a matter of finances, but that the first producer snacked on lead paint chips as a child and washed it down with elemental mercury. If they had tried to do anything like the UU sequel they were selling to people then TTLG would give a damn to do anything instead of a ghost town of a forum, shamed that they ever promoted this scam. It also turns out that the whole issue of rights was a lie, unless you expect us to believe their lawyers were retarded with the rights like the company was retarded with finances, production, and communication with their backers for years. (The latter was a big issue until they could find one competent person - the Community Manager who wasn't there from the start.) The other competent person they found was Rich Gallup, a producer who arrived at launch and brought UA back into becoming something what it was supposed to be.

Is this a “spiritual successor” to Ultima Underworld? Is it Ultima Underworld 3? Or what?
Underworld Ascendant is a genuine part of the Underworld series. We have the rights to use all of the elements of the original Underworld games, except for the Ultima brand itself. The characters, monsters, settings, and stories from the original Underworld games are all available for us.

Dear fucking god, a hub with portals you jump through to do MMO instanced missions to have your grade posted on social media for grinding rep with factions not even in the game - what fucking part of that says UU at all? Or even play your way of an immersive sim?

Finances were no excuse at all for that shit design. It had more to do with how Richard Garriott thinks the future of gaming is on Facebook, and the relics in charge of this had the same understanding. It took someone with a clue about UU to make the thing be more like what it should have been.

What makes the whole thing hilarious? Paul Neurath started out with this shit and now they're back to sucking on EA's teat for System Shock 3 - EA China (Tencent). RIP LGS legacy unless it is made by Arkane or someone else. Fuck these overhyped clowns who can't even stay to the design ethos that made them famous and they waved around in their KS (because the real talent who made the thing is no longer there to make it for them).

Sonus

Educated
Interesting that the word "okay" is being treated as equal to "great", and negative criticisms treated as ringing endorsements. Derangement Syndrome. Yes, it's a fucked up game by a fucked up company.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Interesting that the word "okay" is being treated as equal to "great", and negative criticisms treated as ringing endorsements. Derangement Syndrome. Yes, it's a fucked up game by a fucked up company.

More like: Imagine being upset for buying into the fucked up company's lies that the problems were because of finances.

Having to go back after release and make a proper save system that should have been in at the start should have made it obvious that the shitty release state was never an issue of money. The release state level design and what it was turned into was another indication that it wasn't because of finances, but because of early development incompetence.

The whole problem with UA was "let's do whatever the fuck we want despite what we sold to backers". That sentiment was again seen via the lovely backer rewards.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Is there any plot or something or is just a sandbox? If it isn't too buggy and has some functional systems i might buy it at 2-3 euros or whatever at some point (i see at ITAD that it was sold at 3 euros some time ago), i do not mind a bit of jank, though i'm not a big fan of sandboxes.

Stefano Canali

Barely Literate
Maybe another positive thing is that, after being aware that they released a big disappointment, they kept working and updating it alot.
I agree that doesn't mean it reached anywhere the status of "solid good game" but at least proves some commitment.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Maybe another positive thing is that, after being aware that they released a big disappointment, they kept working and updating it alot.
I agree that doesn't mean it reached anywhere the status of "solid good game" but at least proves some commitment.

The updates were from 505 Games wanting something to port to consoles, with the Switch version planned and announced but falling through. 505 didn't seem too happy with how OSE treated the target audience that left the publisher quite the turkey on their hands.

The backer rewards showed how well OSE were committed to fuckery that included ignoring the same backers' feedback months before the scud was launched. Props to the white knight knobgoblins for assuring those in charge that all was fine, since Paul Neurath himself seemed surprised at the reaction. The Almighty Warren Spector made some excuse about experimentation, which was kept hidden from both OSE Austin and the backers until the big unveiling of the fuck you to everyone at the backer beta, with the fucking being mostly upon the reputation of the company until only Tencent would touch them. It didn't help that OSE Boston were already starting work on another game at that time.

There's a reason why Joe Fielder looked like he shat himself making this unlisted update video - probably because he did.

He was supposed to be the game director and seemed to be missing from most of the public discussion with the community until that point. This might be why he doesn't list OtherSide Entertainment on his LinkedIn.
Pay no attention to them fucking around on everything else led by Chris Siegel until he no longer had a Sr Producer position at OSE.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
It was plain to see that they were fucked when I realized their senior producer literally couldn't spell. Small thing maybe, but give me a break, your senior producer can't spell?

Eli_Havelock

Learned
It was plain to see that they were fucked when I realized their senior producer literally couldn't spell. Small thing maybe, but give me a break, your senior producer can't spell?

His major malphunktion became frighteningly obvious when he kept mistaking all of "DM MOM" "Thief" "Skyrim" "Shock" for "genuine part of the Underworld series" - it shouldn't have been too difficult to understand when the series' basic design principles and feedback upon them had already existed for two decades. When your producer is that clueless your product is going to be fucked. This is how the former QA-turned-Sr. Producer found his destiny at someplace a little less taxing upon his "skills" - product manager for fantasy sports. But to his credit, I think it's quite likely that he's found some way to colossally fuck that up as well.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Looks like they're slowly staffing up Boston studio.

Oh, yes, their new title that already has a typo in it - it's really supposed to be Thick-Ass Thieves. They are certainly optimistic, and in no way diverting development money from System Shock 3 because they are such an upstanding company.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Probably more like money from selling System Shock 3 (and possibly 4) to Tencent.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Don't Nightdive own the rights to the Shock games? I think OSE were just reeled in to develop it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom