Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant is a disaster

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
I always love to root for an underdog. Too bad these guys had more experience and more cash than the guy making Monomyth which is looking like a much better game from what has been shown.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I always love to root for an underdog. Too bad these guys had more experience and more cash than the guy making Monomyth which is looking like a much better game from what has been shown.

I mean, never underestimate the power of one guy working on a passion project. Something something, cave, box of scraps.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
The fewer the limitations you have, the easier it is to lose your way.

shitty as this game turned out to be, it would have been even worse if they didn’t have a publisher imposing expectations on them. That’s a big reason for KS project failure syndrome IMO.. not enough constraint on the process.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The fewer the limitations you have, the easier it is to lose your way.
Sure, but what's even worse is lack of a coherent vision.
Which is what killed this project - clearly the team didn't know what they were even going for and (in addition to lack of time) that broke their back before you even get into all the bugs and other failures.
That lack of vision is something I find more common in medium-sized teams, but I'm not totally sure about it.

And you must be hallucinating if you think indie devs on a passion project do not have or are not aware of their limitations - I'd argue they are more aware than larger teams.
Don't confuse that with hobbyist projects (also indie, but usually pretty unrestrained in scope and thus rarely ever finished).
If an indie dev puts their money and full time down on a passion project, you can (usually) be fairly sure they are highly aware.

is it fixed yet?
AbleIndelibleBasilisk-size_restricted.gif

It's abandoned.

Katana1000S

Angrier OtherSide Refugee
This Game ... and I hesitate to call it a game, has to be a serious contender for one of the worst games of all time.

Ultima Underworld 1 and 2 are easily two of my most favourite games of all time, so when I learned some people involved on those two masterpieces of their time would be working on UA I was over the moon, really was excited ... it started off with promise, good goals to be met, but then pure forum morons who must never have played the originals took over the forums and demanded action, arcade and parkour and other such drivel shit :( Worst part was the most vocal ones who then declared at the end they were not going to buy it and were just merely assessing it ,,, WTF ???? Pure TROLLS IMHO.

But the team listened to those retards, also the team seemed to have sat around patting each other on the back for far too long about past glory's and awards and then abandoned everything that was promised in order to rush it out the door at the last minute for its release date in a state that could only be called Pre-Historic Alpha.

What a fucking mess ... what a steaming pile of shit this game was :( If one thing can be learned from this Fiasco, its even the best of Dev talent can burn out soon (just like real stars) if they rest on their laurels.

There should be mandatory prison sentences for screwing up classic franchise's like this, pure sabotage, that's all it was.

Rant over.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
They should be spending their time fixing everything and putting in what was promised. Then, to those who bought it release it for free. Discount it for those who didn't by a lot.

This isn't the only time the old fucked up or got fucked (cough cough VTMB2)

Spukrian

Savant
So I played Underworld Ascendant.

Most negative things to say about this game has already been said: unfinished, lots of bugs, immense disappointment, etc...

The game doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. Is it an Underworld successor? No, there's very few RPG elements, no dialogues, and the story is barebones. Is it a roguelite? No, not enough random elements.

The combat reminds me of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, except it's slower, so I can actually keep up with it.

But I did enjoy my time in this game. I had a lot fun. I got all of the movement skills and after that I could just fly through all the levels and go where the developers didn't think I would go.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Ah, I guess they won’t come back to even try and fix it even a little. Oh well. Now toss it on GOG so we can also suffer.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Larian? Hm, could be. DOS2 was an imsim but then they switched to DND for BG3.
IDK we'll have to see if and when DOS3 comes out if they kept the same systems or if they improved upon them.
Arkane however, no chance. Arkane is finished. A thing of the past.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
So I played Underworld Ascendant.

Most negative things to say about this game has already been said: unfinished, lots of bugs, immense disappointment, etc...

The game doesn't seem to know what it wants to be. Is it an Underworld successor? No, there's very few RPG elements, no dialogues, and the story is barebones. Is it a roguelite? No, not enough random elements.

The combat reminds me of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, except it's slower, so I can actually keep up with it.

But I did enjoy my time in this game. I had a lot fun. I got all of the movement skills and after that I could just fly through all the levels and go where the developers didn't think I would go.

Here we go again, subpar RPGs resurfacing because people have nothing else to play anymore and are bored, scraping the bottom of the barrel once more.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
I don't know what your definition of immersive is
Any game where simulated systems interact with each other that leads to emergent behavior. It's that simple. Distilled to its essence.
Perspective doesn't matter. Proof of this is for example DOS2, Botw Totk, MGSVTPP, Dishonored, Prey, Weird West (to a smaller extent) etc.
fdw5r0.jpg

Also at Looking Glass they talked about immersive "reality" (not sim, sim was coined by Doug Church and later popularized by Spector).

Link tot a ttlg 3 page discussion on it if you're interested

but Larian's retarded armor system should be the opposite of that.
That's retarded design in general, has nothing to do with an imsim.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom