Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant is a disaster

Max Heap

Arcane
It is highlighted in the missions that are kinda working. The key mission for example highlights the area, but the mace mission didn't.
Either way I can hear the soundcue for the key, but I still can't find it, so I might just be retarded.

Edit:
Forget what I said. That soundcue was whatever. Found the key in a completely different place by accident.

Max Heap

Arcane
Is the whole game just a bunch of fetch quest? I have read a lot of "retreive something part" in this thread.

Pretty much.
Sometimes its also "You gotta whack someone on the noodle"
But only very rarely. And even then its "Collect the mana core from the eidolons animus" and you don't really have to fight anybody.
Maybe because that could collide with the randomized side bounty, which often involves not fighting? Who knows.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Oh yeah with various conditions, randomly assigned, like don't use weapons, don't get detected, don't take melee damage etc.

Max Heap

Arcane
I still don't know what the side bounty "enter the portal without weapons or ammunition" is supposed to mean.
Does it mean entering the mission or leaving the mission without those? To what end? Challenge?

Glic2000

Educated
Yeah, the original UW had lots of randomly generated stuff... oh no wait, it totally fucking didn't. Because back then devs actually gave a shit about making good content.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Don't have your weapons equipped, put them in the inventory don't leave them on the belt because when you start the mission sometimes it autoequips the weapon, wand etc. voiding the challenge.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
It's a score based game like Thief or Hitman, where you run through missions to set a high score. You get more money for a higher score, and you get ability points for doing trick moves.

It even has a "save video of last 15 seconds of gameplay" option so you can capture viral videos of your leet skills :shittydog:

Last edited:

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Those saurian challenges give you more influence, that's it.
Also it's so hard to get out of water it's like swimming in glue or something. And that eye when you're in stealth, is that made in Paint?

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
The UI graphics are the same as they were in early alpha, when people assumed that they were placeholders. They shouldn't waste money on re-doing them though, there are tons of more important things to be done here.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
So what happened to this game? I thought it had the original UU devs, Warren Spector, a successful kickstarter, etc.? The usual over-promise and under-deliver?
More like the usual name the Kickstarter for one fandom (UW fans), market it for another (Thief fans), link yourself to another successful KS to get those fans (SotA), post overly ambitious dev diaries to grab yet another fandom (immersive sims), put in elements to grab the fans of a somewhat cult classic (Dark Messiah), then release and hope you get all of them to pay you money. It's classic bait and switch and game companies have been doing it loooooooong before Kickstarter, though we had some rather obvious ones there too (Broken Age being the most obvious I think).

The big difference between UA and say PoE is that the latter was at least functional and there were things you could improve (and arguably they spent the next 2 years doing just that). I'm really not sure what you can do in the current state of UA to turn it into a functional game, never mind anything close to one of the many things that were promised.

Astral Rag

Arcane
I'm waiting for Spoony's review. I'm sure he'll upload it any day now.

By the way, are there paladins in this masterpiece?

Glic2000

Educated
There are skeletons and lizardmen. That's basically it I think. Oh, and that girl with a mask over mouth so they wouldn't have to animate a mouth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom