Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant is a disaster

agris

Arcane
Patron
phone release when?

Luka-boy

Arcane
20060729130537train_w2bjjw.jpg

Silentstorm

Learned
Gotta love a developer that did such a bad game and handled it so poorly that people aren't caring about a new entry to a cult series with two great games in it, i mean, more people cared about Bubsy of all things coming back.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
This game and Fallout 76. Absolute disasters. Unthinkable. I didn't believe that I was going to witness this. These will go into myths/legends territory, of games so bad that no one will believe it when told. At this point I......can this get any worse?

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Today's good laugh: https://forums.otherside-e.com/t/ps4-issues-in-detail/10108
As I said, there are things that I like, such as the level design and general atmosphere. I hope that the bugs can be dealt with and gameplay issues resolved. In all honesty the game shouldn’t have been released on the PS4 as it is and I’m surprised it passed certification. However, I am prepared to give it another shot.
It should not have been released on any platform whatsoever

Nyast

Cipher
Allright, I sacrificed myself for the codex, and replayed that thing. Just finished the game.

Ask me anything.

Nyast

Cipher
Ask me anything.
how many bugs in 1 playthrough?
on a scale of 1 to 10 how much did you enjoy it?
do you think lobar is right in his crusade?

Bugs: the game still feels clanky, especially in staircases / slopes going up. Bunny hoping helps. Some small obstacles still mess up your character's ability to move forward. The AI can still be broken with ragdolls creating hilarious moments ( you hit a skeleton and it suddenly goes flying head-on into the ceiling ). The main difference between Update 4 and the original release, is that most of these bugs are not game-breaking anymore. Some are midly annoying, but overall the game works. I finished it, while I wasn't able to finish it 8 months ago ( quests were broken, objectives not marked on the map, changing the water level simply broke levels, etc.. ). I haven't seen any of these big bugs any more.

Design-wise, there's been massive improvements. My #1 issue in the original release was that the dungeon didn't feel interconnected. But now they added proper connections between the levels, even though the "grand staircase" isn't worthy of its name. Special mention to the loading times that went from 3-5 minutes per level, down to ~10 seconds now. This helps a lot in terms of immersion when you're travelling between levels. You now feel like the dungeon is a proper interconnected dungeon. They also revamped level design in a lot of places, and most of what I've seen is a definitive improvement. Saving seems to work.

They added NPCs into the levels, but the design stays simplistic. They all correspond to optional quests. They all follow the same pattern: 1) Get a materia core to drop the water level; 2) Get into a cave / door which otherwise wasn't accessible below the water level; 3) Solve a mini puzzle ( laughably easy ), 4) Free the NPC, which will give you a bonus ( spell runes, hints to loot, access to a new ship, etc.. ). They never deviate from that pattern as far as I could see. Lost opportunity and very lazy. Feels like they added NPCs just to add a check on a feature list.

They added variations to the monsters. The bellum is a beast-like creature with lots of teeth. It's a lot more agressive and faster than the slow skeletons and can outrun you. One variant is invisible, which actually makes it the creepiest / most dangerous foe of the game. Especially when fighting in the dark ( they never fixed the ability to carry the game with a weapon at the same time, so when you draw your weapon.. you're fighting in the dark. Retarded ). They also added a more dangerous variation of the skeleton, with red eyes, which can poison you. Overall, the bestiary is limited, just a bit less than last year.

They also did some work on the loot, which is a bit better now. By the end game I eventually reached magical weapons, which were sometimes more exciting than another "pristine mace" or "pristine boots". Unfortunately, it's still very far from being in a good spot. From what I can see, they added a lot more random items, like new types of food with various effects ( that's one part of the game I actually like, food is unknown at first and you need to taste it one or multiple times, to figure out the effects ).

The RPG elements are still very lite, feats are still there ( as the only way to level up and get abilities, totally retarded, because the more you specialize your character, the less feats you're able to accomplish, so in a way specializing your character punishes you ).

They streamlined the interface, but again, it's not exactly an achievement considering how it was at release.

So overall, the game's massively improved, there's no doubt about it, both technically and design wise. So the good news is that it went from a 2 out of 10 ( at release ) to, maybe, a 5 out of 10. It went from a trainwreck to a mediocre game. And no, it's still not a proper Ultima Underworld sequel.

I might recommend it for the exploration part ( some of the level design is pretty cool ) and only at a very light price, like less than 10 dollars, if you're looking for a dungeon crawler with level design a bit more interesting than what you typically find in other games. And of course, keep your expectations low.

As for Lobar, considering Otherwise's dishonnesty and betrayal of its backers, I can't blame him, although his opinions are on the extreme side.

Katana1000S

Angrier OtherSide Refugee
Otherside staff should be jailed for their lies and deceit, 10 years each minimum would be appropriate and deter other software developers from doing what they did.

Gord

Arcane
Out of curiosity, I've played a bit of Update 4. My experience mostly mirrors Nyast's, although I've played much less - just the intro, Marcaul and first level of the abyss.
Technically they have indeed improved a lot. It's much smoother now - although movement still feels floaty and clunky at times, esp. when doing any physics-related stuff (e.g. carrying and stacking crates, coliding with things).
For what it's worth, it was pretty stable so far (but I didn't have that many issues with crashes since update 2 anyway) - of course it might still start crashing like MasterLobars sanity after he first played UA at any time, but so far it's fine on that front.
What they are still lacking is any meaningful content though, esp. if you would consider it an Underworld game (which you probably shouldn't given that it's lacking almost anything that made the Underworlds great).

Last edited:

MasterLobar

Angry OtherSide Refugee
Devastating player review of the PS4 version.

Worst of all, they still seem to be unable to bring enemy combat AI to an acceptable level.

"Nothing works. I would wager 98% of all enemies would completely ignore you if you just run past them [...] If you walk past and give them time to react they still don’t react. Thousands of times I made noise and they didn’t react. You don’t actually know if you are doing anything correctly. You may have just pulled off a perfectly ghosted mission but maybe the enemies cannot see you at all. Who knows? Well I have an idea, I will run up to the enemy, jump up and down in front of them, throw boxes at their feet, light the boxes on fire with the only important spell the game fireball and the enemy will not only not see me but it will stand there and burn to death without reacting. Every creature will stand there and burn to death without reacting." (includes omissions)

https://forums.otherside-e.com/t/i-finished-the-game-on-ps4/10114

Also notes major performance issues.

"The most fun I had was breaking the game by lighting things on fire. You give us big fire set pieces and if you light them the game can’t handle it and crashes. I remember seeing the bridge in the final level. Setting it on fire and having an instant reload when you die means you are trapped in a slide show of about 3 frames per second and even if you die you are returning to the slide show." (includes omissions)

And some of the most avoidable lapses one could think of (after 7 months!)

"Multiple weapons have jargon like unity.object as item descriptions."

In the end, the reviewer speculates, that OS QA staff tried to sabotage the release.

I think that's unlikely, it's more likely they just used the cheapest and most incompetent external QA provider they could find to bring the game to a minimal state that satisfies their contractual obligations, so they can throw it over the fence and tell 505 to f**k off.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://otherside-e.com/wp/update-4-on-pc-ps4-xbox-one-release-ks-update-july-2019/

Update 4 on PC, PS4 & XBox One Release, KS Update [July 2019]

Hello everyone,

Update 4 is now live for Underworld Ascendant on Steam for PC!

This update includes new NPCs, new monsters, bug fixes and performance improvements, and additional content for UA. You can read the full build notes here on Steam.

We also launched a hotfix for Update 4 on PC that is also live now! Hotfix notes here.

In addition to Update 4’s launch, Underworld Ascendant is now available on PS4 and Xbox One!

Watch the updated console trailer here:

Note that we are working on a hotfix for community-flagged issues in the next few weeks. The hotfix will most likely launch on PS4 and Xbox around the same time.

For Kickstarter goods, we are still on track to begin the physical shipment of goods in the next few weeks. You can track the status of all rewards here.

Additional Kickstarter content, such as certain digital rewards, will continue to be rolled out when they are ready. This includes the Game Art portfolio, the Making of DVD, and the Game Manual.

To access your currently available digital rewards, remember to log into BackerKit with your Kickstarter credentials to access your Digital Downloads for your Steam keys. If you are having issues logging into your BackerKit, please contact us at support@otherside-e.com.

Our next step is finishing up our Mac and Linux ports for our backers and for general release. The Mac and Linux versions will contain all of the improvements brought from Update 4. We have been working closely with our external porter while we made adjustments to Update 4 to make sure we stayed on track for our PC and console releases.

When we have more to share, we will post another update. If you want to check in on our progress on a weekly basis, feel free to join us on our new forums and skim through our Weekly Updates.

Cheers,

The OtherSide Team

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Devastating player review of the PS4 version.

Worst of all, they still seem to be unable to bring enemy combat AI to an acceptable level.

"Nothing works. I would wager 98% of all enemies would completely ignore you if you just run past them [...] If you walk past and give them time to react they still don’t react. Thousands of times I made noise and they didn’t react. You don’t actually know if you are doing anything correctly. You may have just pulled off a perfectly ghosted mission but maybe the enemies cannot see you at all. Who knows? Well I have an idea, I will run up to the enemy, jump up and down in front of them, throw boxes at their feet, light the boxes on fire with the only important spell the game fireball and the enemy will not only not see me but it will stand there and burn to death without reacting. Every creature will stand there and burn to death without reacting." (includes omissions)

https://forums.otherside-e.com/t/i-finished-the-game-on-ps4/10114

Also notes major performance issues.

"The most fun I had was breaking the game by lighting things on fire. You give us big fire set pieces and if you light them the game can’t handle it and crashes. I remember seeing the bridge in the final level. Setting it on fire and having an instant reload when you die means you are trapped in a slide show of about 3 frames per second and even if you die you are returning to the slide show." (includes omissions)

And some of the most avoidable lapses one could think of (after 7 months!)

"Multiple weapons have jargon like unity.object as item descriptions."

In the end, the reviewer speculates, that OS QA staff tried to sabotage the release.

I think that's unlikely, it's more likely they just used the cheapest and most incompetent external QA provider they could find to bring the game to a minimal state that satisfies their contractual obligations, so they can throw it over the fence and tell 505 to f**k off.

My friends who have done QA always point out that it's up to the devs to actually care and fix the bugs they report. People blame testers for not noticing stuff and games being broken, but if there's something as obvious as the text straight up being missing from a game then you can be 99% sure it got reported and the higher ups said to ship it anyway

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom