Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Prototype Thread

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It would be great if they did. But if Otherside makes a success out of Underworld I find it very hard to believe EA would give them SS "for 'free' or for a small 'PR fee'".

Anyway, at the moment it would just be good to see them remain a viable developer for years to come.

Unfortunately, you are most likely correct. If Underworld was a hit EA would want to capitalize (and I use that term in all it's economic meaning!) on that success. Meaning more corporate oversight/meddling from EA suits to further "broaden it's appeal."

Eh, this is all just wistful thinking at this point... they haven't even been funded yet!

Last edited:

Darkzone

Arcane
It would be great if they did. But if Otherside makes a success out of Underworld I find it very hard to believe EA would give them SS "for 'free' or for a small 'PR fee'". Anyway, at the moment it would just be good to see them remain a viable developer for years to come.
Unfortunately, you are most likely correct. If Underworld was a hit EA would want to capitalize (and I use that term in all it's economic meaning!) on that success. Most likely meaning more corporate oversight/meddling from EA suits to further "broaden it's appeal."
Eh, this is all just wistful thinking at this point... they haven't even been funded yet!
PR is quite important and much more worth than 1 mio - 2 mio peanuts, that in the best case Otherside would and could pay them. If Otherside would put another kickstarter with SS3 and there would be on every kickstarter video and even at the start of the game: 'With support of EA' or 'Thanks to EA' or 'With the help of EA'. This would be worth more than 10 mio for EA, or even more worth than the entire SS frenchise. Think about CDP, nobody remembers their misconducts, due to their releasing or the patches and EE updates for TW2. People forget and forgive very fast.

Darkzone

Arcane
Darkzone Electronic Arts has zilch to do with System Shock IP.
Yes you are right. It is my mistake because EA was the publisher, so i thought that this also still it's IP. But who owns it now? I have just read that this is currently free.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
FPP is superior for providing detailed interactivity & immersion . I got all these stupid tags and lost the ability to edit as a result of this opinion, yet my perspective still has not changed.
Fuck you, Codex.

Darkzone

Arcane
As Spector had mentioned, an insurance company got the rights to System Shock after Looking Glass Studios shut down. I tracked down the insurer, Star Insurance Company, a subsidiary of Michigan-based Meadowbrook Insurance Group, Inc., and confirmed that the rights are available for sale. George Borkowski, an outside counsel for Meadowbrook, said the company would consider selling the rights to a game publisher or developer. "The idea would be to enter into some kind of arrangement where the game would be developed and that Meadowbrook would be compensated,” he said. It sounds to me like Meadowbrook wants a game company to share sales revenue, but Borkowski wouldn't talk about financial details. He did say that there have been inquiries about the rights, but elaborated no further.

This sounds more easy, than even EA.

Even with development rights, EA's prior trademark could be an issue for potential buyers. Michael Cavaretta, an attorney who deals with trademarks and copyrights in the video game industry, believes a publisher wouldn't be able to create another System Shock without EA's blessing.

Source:
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/713030/the-lost-history-of-system-shock/

Darkzone

Arcane
FPP is superior for providing detailed interactivity & immersion . I got all these stupid tags and lost the ability to edit as a result of this opinion, yet my perspective still has not changed.
Fuck you, Codex.
Put a good picture in your signature. Something like a fuck finger and with the text: Fuck you codex!

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

That's out of date: http://techland.time.com/2013/02/13/13-years-later-system-shock-2-lives-again/

George Borkowski, a lawyer for Star and Meadowbrook, and a partner at Freeman, Freeman & Smiley LLP, made it seem simpler. In an e-mail, he claimed that Star owns all the rights to System Shock 2, including the trademark, and that EA’s rights reverted back to Looking Glass years ago.

Darkzone

Arcane
That's out of date: http://techland.time.com/2013/02/13/13-years-later-system-shock-2-lives-again/
George Borkowski, a lawyer for Star and Meadowbrook, and a partner at Freeman, Freeman & Smiley LLP, made it seem simpler. In an e-mail, he claimed that Star owns all the rights to System Shock 2, including the trademark, and that EA’s rights reverted back to Looking Glass years ago.
Yes that is basically newer, but in both cases the responsible lawyer is George Borowski, and the rights are still in Star Insurance Company's hands. The author is in both cases is Jared Newman and it seems he loves really SS1/2, because he is still tracing everything down. What a SS1/2 freak.

mastroego

Arcane
Concerned? This will help put your mind at ease:

How can this be both an RPG and a simulation? Those 2 genres are mutually exclusive. Games can't be crossgenre both simulation and RPG.

Are they? Why is that do you think?
You should go and play our old games. They were all both. Thief, Shock, Ultima Underworld.
The world is a simulation. You role play in it.
We just are not a fan of scripted events, and railroading storylines. We have, and will again build Disney World, and not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. How you interact with the world is up to you, not up to the designer. The story unfolds by your action. Sure there are story points that we set up for the player, but its more like , we give you the plot, you give us the story.
-Otherside Staff

From the comments of the Underworld Ascendant Greenlight page on Steam

That's some monocled elitism there, and I very much approve. :love:

Well, put that way, I agree.
Still dubious about that VR thing. I mean, it's KS, limited resources and all.
Seems like a criminal waste of them.

Darkzone

Arcane

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Concerned? This will help put your mind at ease:

We just are not a fan of scripted events, and railroading storylines. We have, and will again build Disney World, and not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. How you interact with the world is up to you, not up to the designer. The story unfolds by your action. Sure there are story points that we set up for the player, but its more like , we give you the plot, you give us the story.
-Otherside Staff

I think that quote above makes this worthy of us doing a Codex fundraiser for this?

Will they deliver? Who the fuck knows. But if they do, fucking hell yes.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
This really isn't a lot of money. I don't think you can make a good game with this amount.

This game here cost $850,000 to make. 1984 dollars.

Kings_Quest_Tandy.png

That's $2,000,000 today.

I mean, I LOVE Looking Glass. My heart bleeds for them. I wish they would get $10,000,000. But with such a small amount I just can't expect much at all.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
This really isn't a lot of money. I don't think you can make a good game with this amount.

This game here cost $850,000 to make. 1984 dollars.

Kings_Quest_Tandy.png

That's $2,000,000 today.

I mean, I LOVE Looking Glass. My heart bleeds for them. I wish they would get $10,000,000. But with such a small amount I just can't expect much at all.

I had the same concerns as soon as I saw the goal amount. They answered this concern directly by explaining they have existing funding and came to KS for the final bit. I posted quotes above:

Here is a pot from Jeff Kesselman of Otherside that pretty much sums up my view on this kickstarter.
Not to sound like a broken record but, in the end, on any Kickstarter, you need to ask the trust question. And a big part of that is, who are these people and what track record do they have? Do they typically over-promise and under-deliver? or under promise and over-deliver? I think Paul's got a pretty good track record of under promising and over-delivering, which is part of why I signed on to do this. Its been a gamble for me, too, but I can't think of one I've been offered with odds I've ever liked better

And on the topic of funding and whether reaching 600k will be enough:

Mentioned earlier today, but to say again, we brought in some investment last year into OtherSide, so we're not starting our budget from scratch. The 600K is the additional funding we need to deliver the core PC game. We would love to reach one or several of the stretch goals beyond this of course.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Nice! Sorry, didn't read the entire thread. That puts me at ease. Hope they hit their stretch goals.

Why can't one of us CRPG fans be a millionaire patron?

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also, they can skip much of the engine development phase. Underworld, System Shock, Thief and System Shock 2 (not tomention other LGS projects) were also technological milestones. UW: Ascendant will use Unity and focus on gameplay development.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Nice! Sorry, didn't read the entire thread. That puts me at ease. Hope they hit their stretch goals.

Why can't one of us CRPG fans be a millionaire patron?
There is Stephen Dengler.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
This might be one KS project where I say screw my policy of abstaining until suitably finished. I am tempted to pledge enough to get access to conceptual pre-alpha builds so I can see for myself whether there is incline gold there irrespective of the superficial.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Also, they can skip much of the engine development phase. Underworld, System Shock, Thief and System Shock 2 (not tomention other LGS projects) were also technological milestones. UW: Ascendant will use Unity and focus on gameplay development.
Let's hope so because they haven't focused on it too much so far. Getting tired of the nostalgia 'look who we found' updates to this in the stead of actual substantive information.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Initial impressions from KS page: PR verbiage reminds of AAA studios, rewards smack of MMO preorder bonuses, realtime popamole engine. Hopefully my cynicism is unjustied.

Likely to be unjustied and engines aren't popamole but designs certainly can be.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Next update with another one to follow tomorrow:

kickstarter-logo-130-c786b4c0131e4675d4e938b400dcb05d64f7709750ad31d54a87555a0e83dab8.png

Utopias and You

Posted by OtherSide Entertainment

Utopia Fallen
Woven into the fabric of the original Ultima Underworld backstory was the story of a fallen utopia. A few years before the Avatar arrives, the knight Sir Cabirus led a band into the Stygian Abyss on a quest to establish a utopian colony. His dream was to bring together the often feuding factions of the Abyss into peaceful coexistence. Through sheer determination Cabirus nearly succeeded. But ultimately his experiment failed, and the Abyss stumbled back into chaos.

I’ve always had a fascination with utopias. How in fiction, as in world history, utopias seem to inevitably fall from their lofty goals, like Icarus flying too close to the sun. The all-too-brief shining moment when Greek democracy blossomed, then swiftly collapsed. In Tolkien’s fiction, the short-lived attempt by Balin to reestablish a dwarven colony in Moria. There are myriad stories of utopias fallen. Yet that seems not to discourage each new generation from trying.

Games besides Ultima Underworld have taken up this thread. A recent example is the BioShock games; although these particular stories are a shade more dystopian.

Either way, there seems to be a universal appeal to stories about those striving to build a grand society. We are fascinated by their hubris. Of their trying to rewrite established rules of how communities function to forge something new. We root for them to succeed, while knowing they are ultimately doomed.

We are revisiting the theme of utopia failed with Underworld Ascendant. We want to explore the theme at a deeper level than in the original game. The player finds themselves in a central role, choosing how they fit into an experiment of a utopia that is being torn ragged. Do they pick up the frayed threads of Cabirus’ dream and try to knit things back together? Do they nudge the Abyss back towards an apparently inevitable state of chaos? Or follow some other path? I think it is story worth telling.

Announcements
56c05ec95bbf7cc82d998581c1d8a03e_large.jpg

We want to remind people that the first in a series of Twitch sessions we are calling OtherSide plays LookingGlass takes place tomorrow, February 18th from 3pm – 6pm EST.

In this first session Paul, Tim and some surprise guests will be playing Thief. Contrary to how Garrett prefers to go about his business, Paul and Tim will be talking up a storm while they play, recounting tales from the game's development. They'll also be giving away some free copies of the game. Don't miss out on the fun!

Things are picking up on the social media front. We've gained over 200 likes since we asked for you to like our Facebook page. And Twitter has been on fire with news of Terri Brosius and Stephen L. Russell lending their voice talents to Underworld Ascendant. For those of you wanting to help fan the social flames, we have created the following banners/headers you can use to help spread the word.
Facebook Banners/Headers

cb6110233144f20a594a98ef8425abf6_large.jpg

be4991805c041419aa0885f05da62874_large.jpg

dcfaa0d858368267baa3b743c847bee8_large.jpg

Twitter Banners/Headers

1ef405955565077e3ed0777fccae0be3_large.jpg

432f2c379b4b4a8723cef539919fc0b0_large.jpg

9aba73b64c58ada1a761cd6ad0b09ae2_large.jpg

Please share these liberally!

Finally, we want to let everyone know that this will be our last evening update. No, don't be sad! We are simply moving our update release times to the mornings (EST) to better accommodate our European friends. The good news in this is that our next update will be coming out tomorrow (Wednesday) morning, a scant 14 hours from now, and it's going to be a doozy!

The Team at OtherSide

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom