Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Prototype Thread

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That 1st level... it's just so... beautiful... excuse me I just need a minute......

tears of joy.jpg

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
https://twitter.com/TimStellmach/status/567373826422349824

I was wondering how long it'd take me to extract the original Ultima Underworld level geometry. Answer: not long.

I've done it before. It's actually quite easy if your just doing a block by block thing (like a mini-map version). It's the slopes and shit that gave me trouble when I tried to recreate the actual level. It looks like he might have the slopes in but I can't really tell. It looks like he got the height stuff in, but the over/under/jump-across/go-under a gap stuff looks like it's missing.

Zep--

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm wondering about that block in the middle. I didn't know they actually put in space to represent the shaft of the Stygian Abyss.

ColCol

Arcane
Aww. those memories (those memories not really being that old). The part where your in the dungeon section that blocks your magic led to one of my favorite gaming memories.

Last edited:

mindx2

Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
SHODAN is entering the Stygian Abyss:

kickstarter-logo-130-c786b4c0131e4675d4e938b400dcb05d64f7709750ad31d54a87555a0e83dab8.png

Name that Monster

Posted by OtherSide Entertainment

Monsters
Time to call this week’s vote, the face off between Lava Bats and Dire Fairies. By a whopping 195 vote margin, Dire Fairies win over Lava Bats!

cf5ee86ad5a8a7a284fa272d4895d54c_large.jpg

Clearly some of you are haunted by dark nightmares, or want to be. (Despite the lack of a win, we do reserve the option to include Lava Bats in some more remote areas of the Stygian Abyss if we reach our first stretch goal.)

Rather than doing a straight up vote for the coming week, we’d like you to join in helping us name one of the monsters of the Stygian Abyss:

d5e54261f699ec546ece3addf61be512_large.jpg

This massive, semi-translucent ooze feeds by cramming it gelatinous bulk into tight dungeon passageways, absorbing detritus and any creature unwary enough to get in its way. We’ve been using the placeholder name “Tunnel Trapper” for this oddball beast, but we know you can come up with something better! Go to our forums HERE to submit a more suitable name. Then in a week's time we’ll select the one that we feels fits best.

Announcements
Mieu, as an active member of the Underworld Ascendant community, proposed a clever way to give backers a badge of honor, while also sparking an uptick in pledges. To wit, any backer who pledges an additional $5 can have the special "Avatars of Underworld Ascendant” title next to their name in the Forums and in the Kickstarter comments. The extra $5 could come from a move from Early Bird to $25 (helps bring in new peeps), or $5 additional set aside for Add-Ons. This is based entirely on trust, we’ll take your word that you’ve done it. Simply click on your portrait and "edit profile" to change your name on the Kickstarter page to include the initials “AoUA”. On the Forums, all you have to do is post “I upped my pledge” in this forum thread and we’ll do the rest.

We noticed that there are just 732 likes on the OtherSide Facebook page. If you would go to our Facebook page and like us, it’s an easy way to help spread the word. Let’s see if we can get to 2,000 likes by week’s end! While you’re at it, please follow us on Twitter.

It's been just a half week and Underworld Ascendant has already broke into the top-40 out of over 1,700 games currently on Steam Greenlight. Pretty amazing. If you’ve not already done so, please vote YES. Let’s see if we can get into the top-20 and really make our presence known with the Steam players!

ae58ce051ca099f142d44f1646a52b28_large.jpg

Also, tickled to announce another superbly talented voice actor joining the Underworld Ascendant roster:

1d5c31c445d1f4f2b219d144c17f1f74_large.jpg

Terri Brosius was part of the team at LookingGlass, doing both design and voice acting on the Thief games and System Shock II. She is the voice of Shodan and Delacroix in the System Shock series, and the voice of Viktoria in the Thief series. She has also worked with Ion Storm, Electronic Arts, Tiger Style, and Arkane. Terri has writing credits on the Thief games, Dishonored, Waking Mars, and more. Terri also plays keys for The Vivs, teaches piano to unsuspecting youngsters, likes to crochet, and has an unreasonable fear of hornets. We are thrilled to be working with Terri again!

7dddac305068b09e87a96c897e7c959d_large.jpg

Last, we wanted to give everybody a heads-up that over the coming 3 weeks we’ll be doing a series of sessions on Twitch, which we’re calling OtherSide plays LookingGlass, Folks from OtherSide, along with some very special guests, are going to be playing a selection of classic games we worked on when we were at LookingGlass.

First up is Thief, this Wednesday at 3pm – 6pm EST. Then System Shock 2 on Wednesday the 25th (time TBD). For the finale session on Wednesday March 4th (time TBD), Ultima Underworld naturally.

During each session we will be chatting about the game, sharing behind-the-scenes anecdotes, stories about what went into its development, and more. We will also be giving away some free digital copies of these classic games. Please come join us, and tell your friends to come along too!

The Team at OtherSide

Definitely seems like there will be some fully voiced dialogue, the question is "how much?"

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
This is starting to be quite the reunion.

In true Codex idiotic spirit...my dick right now:
A_Rock!.gif

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Concerned? This will help put your mind at ease:

How can this be both an RPG and a simulation? Those 2 genres are mutually exclusive. Games can't be crossgenre both simulation and RPG.

Are they? Why is that do you think?
You should go and play our old games. They were all both. Thief, Shock, Ultima Underworld.
The world is a simulation. You role play in it.
We just are not a fan of scripted events, and railroading storylines. We have, and will again build Disney World, and not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. How you interact with the world is up to you, not up to the designer. The story unfolds by your action. Sure there are story points that we set up for the player, but its more like , we give you the plot, you give us the story.
-Otherside Staff

From the comments of the Underworld Ascendant Greenlight page on Steam

That's some monocled elitism there, and I very much approve. :love:

Last edited by a moderator:

Darkzone

Arcane
mindx2
Will you call me now a clairvoyant, or do you still lack the devoted believe in SS3?

Otherside aspires to be the revival of looking glass, it only needs your support and money. Ok basically money, but money is also support. Ahh you know what i mean.

Well, no matter what the few of us here do, since KS doesn't unfortunately recieve enough money for them to be properly funded. They'll probably barely make the goal as it is...

Darkzone

Arcane
Well, no matter what the few of us here do, since KS doesn't unfortunately recieve enough money for them to be properly funded. They'll probably barely make the goal as it is...
They will make it. Normally my PI x Thumb rules (back of the envelope calculations) are very precise. If they do not commit any suicide, then you can expect that the first two days revenues are around 30% - 35% off the entire revenues. So in other words: 250k x 3 ~ the kickstarter end result. Now with a successful kickstarter they can get additional founding, like loans OR an investor. This is what they will eventually do and already have done.
What i suggest is that everybody informs their friends about this project OR links it in his facebook page. The knowledge graph about this project needs simply more nodes.

mindx2

Patron
mindx2
Will you call me now a clairvoyant, or do you still lack the devoted believe in SS3?

Otherside aspires to be the revival of looking glass, it only needs your support and money. Ok basically money, but money is also support. Ahh you know what i mean.

When did I express an opinion on SS3? However, with all the legal gymnastics people have to go through with that license I'm not sure if they could get it? Does that Night Dive Studio have clear rights to a SS2 sequel without owning SS1? I know they can sell SS2 but anything else...?

Darkzone

Arcane
When did I express an opinion on SS3? However, with all the legal gymnastics people have to go through with that license I'm not sure if they could get it? Does that Night Dive Studio have clear rights to a SS2 sequel without owning SS1? I know they can sell SS2 but anything else...?
No you never did, but you quoted me, because this was also your hopes. Night Dive seems only to own the digital distribution rights to SS2, but EA has still the rights to the franchise and assets. EA has much problems with their PR so they will not lay any obstacles in Otherside's way. Quite possible that they will give for 'free' or for a small 'PR fee' Otherside the license to produce SS3. But this are still unlaid eggs, so first UA and the rest will follow, if everything goes right.

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
I'm spending most of my game money on Shroud of the Avatar, but I upped my pledge on this one to $200 with utmost confidence.

mindx2

Patron
EA has much problems with their PR so they will not lay any obstacles in Otherside's way. Quite possible that they will give for 'free' or for a small 'PR fee' Otherside the license to produce SS3.

:what:

That's not that far fetched as OtherSide was able to get Underworld and Fargo got Wasteland from EA so there's presidence. If OtherSide makes a good game I can see EA (perhaps) giving them the opportunity.

Weasel
EA has much problems with their PR so they will not lay any obstacles in Otherside's way. Quite possible that they will give for 'free' or for a small 'PR fee' Otherside the license to produce SS3.

:what:

That's not that far fetched as OtherSide was able to get Underworld and Fargo got Wasteland from EA so there's presidence. If OtherSide makes a good game I can see EA (perhaps) giving them the opportunity.

It would be great if they did. But if Otherside makes a success out of Underworld I find it very hard to believe EA would give them SS "for 'free' or for a small 'PR fee'".

Anyway, at the moment it would just be good to see them remain a viable developer for years to come.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom