Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Prototype Thread

Durante

Learned
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You're that cool modder and all but... just no... It's a gimmick. And a costly one that shouldn't be on the table for a set of developers looking to fund basic content via KS.
Have you tried it?

I can at least discuss your cost argument (though basic support in a first person game shouldn't cost too much at all), but VR absolutely is not a "gimmick". Especially in the context of immersive sims!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I tried it once but found the penis suction attachments a bit much. In all seriousness, perhaps 'gimmick' is the wrong word. Let's go with 'fetish.' When I play a game I don't need to be IMMERSED in it. I just need it to have good mechanics and interesting content. That I'm acutely aware I'm sitting in front of a PC using a mouse and keyboard to interface with the game is irrelevant to me.

Last edited:
Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
"When I play a game I don't need to be IMMERSED in it."

Absolutely not. But it is not irrelevant either, it is the icing on the cake.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
To continue the analogy, the question becomes if $150K (the difference between last two stretch goals) affords us the entire dessert. I'd much rather they use the extra money on serving the meat and potatoes, so to speak.

Edit 1: CyberP, thought you were zerotol for a moment.

Edit 2: it looks like that fake Underworld Ascendant 2.0 Kickstarter campaign was shut down 6 hours ago.

Edit 3: yesterday only $7K was raised, the first time the campaign couldn't beat the average daily pledge needed to succeed (now at $9K) :?

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Paul Neurath, Richard Garriott and Dallas Snell talk about Ultima Underworld series and the "golden age" of Origin.

You can hear their long-running passion for VR at 29:21.

58kwEsq.png

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Rewards summary: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/othersidegames/underworld-ascendant/posts/1135497

Rewards! Get your Rewards!

Hi everyone,

Huge thanks for your continued support! Your passion for this project is quite wonderful.

Today we have reached 70% of our base funding goal! Also, we are now fewer than 225 new backers away from reaching our 8,000+ goal for this week, which will unlock the special weapon:

072d9853bd14189f0195d4c9421c3670_large.jpg

We appreciate all the advice and feedback you’ve been sharing. It’s fair to say that our team is more experienced making games than running a Kickstarter campaign, but with your help we are improving our approach daily. We are listening and learning from the community’s collective wisdom.

Our goal underlying all of this is to make, together with you, the best possible game we can. On that we are unwavering.

As folks who have followed a lot of Kickstarters know, most every game project goes through a slowdown of funding during the middle weeks of its campaign. Underworld Ascendant is not immune. We do have an array of big announcements, more details on the game, and events coming up over the next 2 weeks that should help keep the momentum going regardless. Some of these incorporate the feedback you’ve provided, others we’ve been keeping in our back pocket for when we entered the slower period.

Steam Greenlight
Some of you may already know that yesterday we submitted Underworld Ascendant for Steam Greenlight. If you can take a moment to click on the link below and vote YES, it would be a big help toward increasing the game's visibility with the massive Steam community.

Get your Awesome Rewards!
Many of you have been asking for more details on the pledge tier Rewards. We have put together a visual summary of each tier, which you can check out below. You can also read more in-depth descriptions of the Rewards HERE.

One thing to call out are the boxed versions. The regular Game Box comes with a DRM-free game DVD, a printed manual, and a paper fold-out map of the known Underworld. The Collector's Edition Box adds a special metallic foil printing, a bound strategy guide, an extra-fancy parchment map of the known Underworld, and a poster with a language and runic translation guide.

The Team at OtherSide

Paul Neurath, Richard Garriott and Dallas Snell talk about Ultima Underworld series and the "golden age" of Origin.

58kwEsq.png

Turns out I'm involved with this somehow: http://ultimacodex.com/2015/02/ultima-underworld-retrospective-at-roberts-space-industries-website/

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Maybe I'm wrong... have they talked about any design stuff yet? How the character system will work? Itemization? Quests? How 'open' will the world be (can you run into shit way more powerful and be forced to retreat/come back later)? Anything like that?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe I'm wrong... have they talked about any design stuff yet? How the character system will work? Itemization? Quests? How 'open' will the world be (can you run into shit way more powerful and be forced to retreat/come back later)? Anything like that?

Not those specific topics, but there has been "design stuff". Mostly explanations of their unscripted simulation design philosophy. Have a look at the news if you want: http://www.rpgcodex.net/tags.php?id=1514

One of the interviews did say there will be no quest compass.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member

Watched this. Can't say it's incredibly interesting. I did like the part at the end when they talked about "company culture" and how to sustain it. Dallas Snell admits that Origin was unable to sustain its culture, such that when people started leaving in the early-mid 90s after EA took over, the company basically went to shit. Also, more praise from Garriott for Warren Spector's storytelling talents compared to his own.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
So, no fundraiser for this one ?

We could, but I'm skeptical of it earning very much, and it seems sensible to let people recover a bit after the Shadowrun one. Always willing to hear opinions, though.

Can't until it's funded - on the iff chance that the KS falls through and DU is left with a PayPal account full of donations he has to return.

That too.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
We could, but I'm skeptical of it earning very much, and it seems sensible to let people recover a bit after the Shadowrun one. Always willing to hear opinions, though.

May I suggest a last resort fundraiser, as in if it is in the last week and still 50k off it's target, we push for "saving" it.

We cannot let this fail.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Can you refrain from posting outside your mod thread until your tag Stack is a few inches shorter?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Ascendant had a relatively good day yesterday. 8,000 backers reached, so those dwarven claw knuckles are in. No gems though.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It seems that they will barely reach their initial goal at this rate. I wonder why it's so unpopular compared to other kickstarters.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
It seems that they will barely reach their initial goal at this rate. I wonder why it's so unpopular compared to other kickstarters.

Most people don't know what true incline is even if it slaps them in the face.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom