Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Prototype Thread

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Eh, I'll get excited when I see more substantive gameplay.
^

Do they have anything substantial aside of few concept art pieces and big names that were lost in time for long?

I wonder if this is worth backing - KS without at least some prototype proof of concept, with heavy use of names-dropping (Ultima this! Ultima that!) and dev team where the big names were out of the game for quite some time - makes me wary

Uh, but there is a prototype proof of concept.
But there's very little footage of it in the KS. Looks like a slightly prettier Arx but, again, going to need to see combat and character development, etc. Not just a dude hurling a fireball at a giant spider.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, they said there'll be more next week. Not sure if it will be enough for you but we'll see.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Not just me, apparently, because they seem to be stalling. It's one thing to invoke all of these games and another to show you have something that can deliver on what you promise. IMO, they jumped the gun. Either that, or they just did a poor job at putting together the initial video/pitch.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not just me, apparently, because they seem to be stalling. It's one thing to invoke all of these games and another to show you have something that can deliver on what you promise. IMO, they jumped the gun. Either that, or they just did a poor job at putting together the initial video/pitch.

Their pitch wasn't bad. There are games that have done better with equal or worse pitches and campaigns. One of them is running a Kickstarter right now.

It just wasn't a very GOOD pitch either. You need to try much harder these days to grab people's attentions if you don't have an existing audience like Shadowrun does.

As for them stalling, pretty much every KS stalls at this point. Hopefully they won't slow down any further.

I hope these guys don't get over exited with the big caverns they can make and remember to put some huge walls coming at you dungeons that just seem to go on forever in the dark.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
UPDATE: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/othersidegames/underworld-ascendant/posts/1134398

We want to hear from You!

We’re doing a set of polls to get a better sense of who our fan community is and what they are looking for in the game. For instance, how interested are you in VR? Please go over to theforums.

Your input will help us better prioritize what we’re working on going forward. When we get to 500 fans having participated in the Polls, we promise we’ll do something silly. We’ve also made a new section for Fan Submissions in the forums.

Over the coming week, we cordially invite any of you who have played the original Underworld games to post in our forums fun stories around a memorable experience you had playing them. We’ll then select several to highlight with the community.

Ahem, there's a vote on co-op: http://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=169.0

Last edited:

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Oh God... co-op and VR...

This is better:

Invite a friend to join you online for a cut of the loot. All your buddies’ offline? Use a Doppelganger Gem to borrow a friend's character as an invulnerable ethereal companion AI. Afterward, your friend will receive a message, with video highlights and rewards.

I already see it happening, video recorded during game, snipped and sent to the recipient. I want to love this KS but, such promises (and several other things they toy, including coop and VR) suggest a lot of people may be promised the moon and molyneux'd in the end.

I hope their updates during the days to come either turn off some of the red flags this is raising or confirm them.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Create an account on their forums and vote against those things. They're already losing, but the margin isn't as high as you'd like.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Like I said, the Looking Glass guys are innovators first, nostalgists second. They're going to keep coming up with weird ideas, but one should hope they have the project management chops to cut features that have no chance of being successfully implemented.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Naga, please. Create an account to tell them wasting money on shit like coop and VR at the expense of content is a bad idea? That's like saying I have to tell someone slamming their nuts in a car door is a bad idea.

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Like I said, the Looking Glass guys are innovators first, nostalgists second. They're going to keep coming up with weird ideas, but one should hope they have the project management chops to cut features that have no chance of being successfully implemented.
Definitely, but promising coop as a stretch goal was not a good idea, because that's a promise to the people who pledged the money. They can cut it in development (if they reach that stretch goal) since KS funding isn't an enforcable contract, but it will come with a PR hit.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Kickstarter is a bubble in deflation mode due to abuse from hacks like Tim Schafer and Josh Sawyer's Infinite Dungeon: End of Fun shenanigans.

The Otherside folks should have jumped a lot earlier on the KS train when the novelty and credibility of it was still fresh.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Definitely, but promising coop as a stretch goal was not a good idea, because that's a promise to the people who pledged the money. They can cut it in development (if they reach that stretch goal) since KS funding isn't an enforcable contract, but it will come with a PR hit.

Heh, well, that's a big "if".

Runciter

Augur
I don't know why you all are afraid of them taking the risk. If they manage to pull co-op off, it will be glorious. I remember very fondly playing through Unreal with a couple of friends, it was much more fun than single player. The reward is worth it to me.

yaster

Liturgist

Yeah, remember that humongous PR hit Larian got when they dropped Mega Dungeon, NPC Schedules and Day and Night Cycle. Now everybody and their dogs are saying that Original Sin's kickstarter was the worst! They bearly sold any copies of the game as a result!

I don't think Otherside would want to drop coop eitherway for different reasons thought.

As far as coop is concerned I have the same stance on it as I have on cardboard boxes or physical goods in general. I have no interest in either, they don't have influence on the core experience while both eat in the budget. But some people are just mad about them. Like really mad. And they are eager to pledge because of that. Seems like things that kickstarter does.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom