Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Prototype Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
UPDATE: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/othersidegames/underworld-ascendant/posts/1132696

Got a lot of things to share today. First, Underworld Ascendant has been gettin’ some love…

4fe68198f8f0d517f0d1c0ec244c7d1f_large.jpg

• Game was selected as a Staff Pick on Kickstarter! We are honored by the recognition.
  • Reached #1 on the Kicktraq HOT list today, ahead of Exploding Kittens no less. Click here to check it out!
  • Just 6 days in, and we’ve gone past the $400,000 milestone in funding! Our backers are an amazing bunch. Now less than $200,000 to reach our base funding goal. By the end of this week???
  • The $20 early-bird PIONEER pledge tier has nearly reached its limit of 5,000. Get’em while you can! This tier includes a full digital copy of the game at an extra low price. Once this closes, the $25 PIONEER’s PROGENY tier has the same stuff available at a still below full retail price (which we anticipate will be more than $30, so you are still saving $5 or more with this tier.)
  • Over 7,400 backers! Within spitting distance of reaching 8,000 and unlocking the Little Friends backer exclusive for us all.
We've got momentum!

Second, wanted to highlight that some of the pledge tiers include early access to Underworld Ascendant builds. The $35 JOURNEYMAN tier and above includes early access to the Beta; the $50 EXPLORER tier and above to Alpha; the $75 ADVENTURER tier and above to pre-Alpha; and finally the $300 LORE SEEKER tier and above to Prototype builds.

These are staged this way because it will take our team more time and attention to deliver progressively earlier builds, since the earlier a build the more in need of hand-holding they are to ensure they run smoothly for folks. But for those that like getting Early Access, it’s a wonderful chance to get a sneak peek at the game, as well as way to be more involved in the game’s development from the formative stages. We should have the first Prototype builds ready to share within a half-year following the Kickstarter.

Finally, wanted to share with you a blog post from Tim Stellmach, our lead designer, who talks about designing in-game items, and how these are crafted and balanced. You can read it here.

Be seeing you (could not resist a Prisoner reference)

Paul Neurath

Isn't it 7 and a half days in?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Maybe they'll get a bit of a push but I don't see them getting anywhere near a million.

Sonus

Educated
Started writing it up the morning before, added new info in and made changes to the drafts, forgot to tweak the one number before posting...?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Also not a fan of the trend of charging MORE to participate in Alpha/Beta/etc. If someone is giving you their money before you have a finished product... or a product that's not even ready for an alpha then, imo, you should give them access to all production stages. If you want to put fruity art books or posters in the higher tiers to make them more enticing so be it.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also not a fan of the trend of charging MORE to participate in Alpha/Beta/etc. If someone is giving you their money before you have a finished product... or a product that's not even ready for an alpha then, imo, you should give them access to all production stages. If you want to put fruity art books or posters in the higher tiers to make them more enticing so be it.
Problem is, it works (speaking from experience), so they have all the reasons to do it.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah, I'm sure it's a draw. Sadly I think it'll just be an endless source of misunderstanding, butthurt and extra work.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
From Stellmach's design blog:

"The "meh" version of the Avatar's Ring doesn't really shed light that you could see by. You wouldn't notice it unless you were looking at your hand. It's more of a soft glow-in-the-dark thing. It blinks on when an enemy is within one meter.

The "my precious" version of the Avatar's Ring sheds a light that only you can see. In addition to illuminating your surroundings without revealing you, it continuously traces a curving sunbeam towards the nearest enemy, along the path they would use to approach you. You can see this ribbon of light even through solid objects. It can distinguish what we mean by "enemy," pulsing to indicate whether they're actively aware of you, searching for you, or not alert."

I cannot be the only one that would prefer the near useless "meh" version that will only be good for showing if a beast is directly behind you?
I don't want you to hold my hand, I want you to kick my ass.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The "my precious" version of the Avatar's Ring sheds a light that only you can see. In addition to illuminating your surroundings without revealing you, it continuously traces a curving sunbeam towards the nearest enemy, along the path they would use to approach you. You can see this ribbon of light even through solid objects. It can distinguish what we mean by "enemy," pulsing to indicate whether they're actively aware of you, searching for you, or not alert."

Great, a monster compass. :roll:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Actually I like the thought he expressed of having other game world entities seeing the ring glow. That could make for some interesting trade-offs.

I think they tried to serve a dual purpose in using the avatar ring as an object to postulate on. Give some insight into design process (for the dim) and mention once more that it will be a trivial thing.

As a rule I despise in game trinkets for backer levels - it cheapens the pitch IMO, particularly in a pitch for a game that is so focussed on what matters.

I would love to see systems enhancements requiring significant development worked in as stretch goals. I can imagine people ponying up for things that really matter; I know I would.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
Actually I like the thought he expressed of having other game world entities seeing the ring glow. That could make for some interesting trade-offs.

I think they tried to serve a dual purpose in using the avatar ring as an object to postulate on. Give some insight into design process (for the dim) and mention once more that it will be a trivial thing.

As a rule I despise in game trinkets for backer levels - it cheapens the pitch IMO, particularly in a pitch for a game that is so focussed on what matters.

I would love to see systems enhancements requiring significant development worked in as stretch goals. I can imagine people ponying up for things that really matter; I know I would.

Oh I don't assume that the full described extent of the "my precious" ring would make it into the game (probably be a middle ground between the two types), I'm just jumpy at anything for the time being because as most are agreed, we're getting mixed vibes from the Kickstarter.

Unwanted

CyberP

Unwanted
And of course we are like kids before Christmas considering the significance of this event happening in the year 2015.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
It was Sting, Bilbo's Elvish dagger, not the Ring, that glowed when orcs were nearby.
:rpgcodex:

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Elvish? Elfish? Elven? I suppose there is no right answer.

Yes there is, in a Tolkien context (Elvish for the languages of the Elves, Elven for stuff related to Elves). Just like you write "dwarves" and not "dwarfs" when referring to the bearded short guys in the Middle-Earth mythology :smug:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Creative license for imaginary creatures and because Abelian surprisingly used Evlish to describe a dagger.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Eh, I'll get excited when I see more substantive gameplay.
^

Do they have anything substantial aside of few concept art pieces and big names that were lost in time for long?

I wonder if this is worth backing - KS without at least some prototype proof of concept, with heavy use of names-dropping (Ultima this! Ultima that!) and dev team where the big names were out of the game for quite some time - makes me wary.

EDIT: apparently there is somewhat some prototype footage.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
^

Do they have anything substantial aside of few concept art pieces and big names that were lost in time for long?

I wonder if this is worth backing - KS without at least some prototype proof of concept, with heavy use of names-dropping (Ultima this! Ultima that!) and dev team where the big names were out of the game for quite some time - makes me wary

Uh, but there is a prototype proof of concept.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
^

I wonder if this is worth backing - KS without at least some prototype proof of concept, with heavy use of names-dropping (Ultima this! Ultima that!) and dev team where the big names were out of the game for quite some time - makes me wary

Uh, but there is a prototype proof of concept.
:bro: Good to know. Going to re-watch the KS video + see all those pesky updates to see it in action

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom